Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting article on Yahoo home page

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I am not a die hard Porsche owner or fan. I have also owned many Corvette's and would like to own a Ferrari someday. Right now I am very interested in the Audi R8 and a neighbor up my street has a super nice Gallardo. I just like cars! I would own another new Vette in the future probably but for now I am really enjoying my Porsche.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
How true that statement is. I know I decided I would have one when I was in HS. It was just a matter of time.
+2
Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
How true that statement is. I know I decided I would have one when I was in HS. It was just a matter of time.
+1 on that...There were exactly two sports cars I told myself I had to have, and I have the exact ones I planned on, though I started with the cheaper one first. jumper:
Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was never a P car fanatic. Just a fringe admirer. However, I did decide early on when the day came that one sports car was going to have to be enough, The 911 was going to be the choice.

That day came in late summer 06 and it took 48 hour to make the transition. Had not driven a 911 for 15 years prior to the test drive BUT my pre-conceived notion was a good one. I bought the 997S aftert about an hour of diddling with the dealer. He gave me the deal I wanted and after one day to switch the wheels to SDs and apply the clear bra, I drove home a 911 owner.

This was the right way to streamline my automtoive life.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Think the article is dead on. I work hard and definitely think of my P-car as a reward for doing so. It is my favorite possession and one that gives me pleasure each and every day. I've wanted it since I was a little kid and was very proud to have acquired it before 40...also the same year I finished paying off my student loans. I kept it simple and started with base 997 with not too many options...wanted to ensure I wasn't overdoing it and wanted to give myself something to aspire to. Assuming things don't go horribly awry, I look forward to somewhere north of 30 years enjoying these incredible machines. While the overall income number looks a bit high to me for an "average", I remind myself that some are more conservative than I am when it comes to enjoying the finer things in life. With that said, there are many out there far less conservative than I, too.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
The psychologist got right the bits about being focused and driven, but I didn't buy the car to show I "arrived". No, sir, I bought it to have a heck of a time en-route to arrival! (I mean this at multiple levels.)

I'm also helping to lower those averages.
+1

TThe very first sportscar I ever rode in was a friend's Speedster while in college in Connecticut. It was so rusted out that you could see the snow pass by under the car. Nevertheless, it set the hook, and Porsche reeled me in many years later.

Now on # 3 and #4.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just turned 34 here, 1st Porsche, but not my last!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Man, I wish I were at the median point. Although if my income were $400K a year, I'd probably have a Ferrari instead of a Porsche as my fun car. I wonder how high the income is at the 75th percentile. No wonder people have the perception that if you are a Porsche owner, you are wealthy. I along with my little circle of Porsche friends are doing our part to bring down the median point.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Think all of the other factors make quite a bit of difference. For instance, I live in one of the most expensive places on the planet. The median household income they suggest doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think when you consider costs of living in SF. If my household income was what it is, and my wife and I lived in Texas, for instance, I'd have a stable of P-cars to play with. But here in SF? Yeah, not so much...

Quick Reply: Very interesting article on Yahoo home page