Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zaino, rejex or other for a black car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino Z5 Pro followed by Z2 Pro, then Z8... This seems to be the closest to a wax look.

Rejex although a long lasting sealant as well looks too sterile or plastic wrap looking. It seems just like very early versions of Zaino.

Also, Zaino has a wax on, walk away product called CLear Seal which works very well.

For more depth, a pure wax will always give a deeper look, however it does not last long AND it attracts dust like mad. Park near a tree in spring and all the green pollen sicks kike flypaper to wax where a sealant it just lays on top and can be easly wiped off or washed off.

First, make sure the finish is free from defects, and clean. Wash the car with Dawn or other alkaline detergent to strip any wax and oils. Follow with a full clay of the finish, then wash one last time with a general car wash (or Zaino Z7 if using Zaino), then follow with your sealant(s).

Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Deanski- Does the Z2 after the Z5 make that big of a difference?

-Mike
Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 PM
c2cal
AutoX

I am definitely an amateur and still learning, but I honestly could not tell a huge difference between the full Zaino treatment (in my case, wash, clay, wash, 3 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z2, with Z6 between each) and 1 coat of Zymol cleaner wax. The Zaino deal is just sooo much work, and while it resulted in a deep shine, it really made me appreciate Zymol! Just my 2 cents ...

Also, I had what I thought was a relatively mild case of the swirls (on black), and was hoping Z5 would cure it, but while it did seem to reduce the very minor stuff, doing so by hand did not remove the underlying dealer-detail damage. I'm afraid I need to graduate to an orbital buffer and true polish, or perhaps improve my technique!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Cope
Advanced

Pinnacle Souveran. It may not last the longest, but it sure does look the best.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by c2cal
I am definitely an amateur and still learning, but I honestly could not tell a huge difference between the full Zaino treatment (in my case, wash, clay, wash, 3 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z2, with Z6 between each) and 1 coat of Zymol cleaner wax. The Zaino deal is just sooo much work, and while it resulted in a deep shine, it really made me appreciate Zymol! Just my 2 cents ...

Also, I had what I thought was a relatively mild case of the swirls (on black), and was hoping Z5 would cure it, but while it did seem to reduce the very minor stuff, doing so by hand did not remove the underlying dealer-detail damage. I'm afraid I need to graduate to an orbital buffer and true polish, or perhaps improve my technique!
I too am no pro, but I think by using Zymol CLEANER wax you may have removed some/all of the Zaino. Just carnuba wax would be OK, but a cleaner wax is designed as a one step wax and POLISH.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

I have a new car GT silver.Have not hit it up with a detail yet.I would like to try Zaino.As they have alot of products.Can someone tell me the best of their products to use while using the fewest as I do not want a complicated all day recipe.Is there one basic polish that is suggested from them?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Deanski- Does the Z2 after the Z5 make that big of a difference?

-Mike
Z2 is very clear, where Z5 has slight and I do mean slight hiding of very minor marring. So, yes Z2 adds a bit more to the mix so to speak. If your finish is free of any marring, then I'd go Z2 or CS/Z2.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by c2cal

Zymol cleaner wax is just that, a paint "cleanser" and a wee bit of wax. You're better off having someone remove the marring for you, then maintain from there! Porsche paint is very soft, so if you DO want to use a polisher, I'd go with a random orbital with foam pads. Some use a Porter Cable, others use a polisher from Autopia called "Ultimate Detail Machine" and others use the Griots polisher. Then there are more corrective random orbitals such as a Flex 3401 VRG polisher (from Germany) a Festool or a Cyclo. From there it's true rotary polishers.

After you do get the defects out, then since you are using a wax, any slight marring can be hidden with a glaze, then wax over the glaze. The glaze contains micro particles of Kaolin clay to hide/fill marring. Once a wax goes over it, it's somewhat sealed on the finish. Problem is as soon as the wax wears off, so does the glaze coverage. It's a more work to keep up a pure wax layer than a sealant. So, for those that enjoy "rubbing one off", then wax with carnauba is the best route.

A better cleaner/wax would be one from say 1Z (Einszett) like their Metallic Polishwax. Plus there are more "cleaner/wax" products out there, but most people want to one step further. Then I'd use P21S Paintwork Cleanser to clean the finish very mildly, followed by a wax of your choice.

It all comes to how much time and effort you want to do for a result.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tinluver
I have a new car GT silver.Have not hit it up with a detail yet.I would like to try Zaino.As they have alot of products.Can someone tell me the best of their products to use while using the fewest as I do not want a complicated all day recipe.Is there one basic polish that is suggested from them?
Thanks
First, get the finish as perfect as possible. Wash, clay and polish. If you do this by hand, a few good mild polishes such as P21S Paintwork cleanser or Zaino AIO (All In One) first. Then you can go with Zaino Clear Seal (wipe on walk away), but first I'd prep any Zaino treatment with Z6 detail spray, then apply the CS or Z2 Pro with ZFX. Between each coat (yes you can layer Zaino), a quick pass of Z6 between each coat make it look that much better. After the last coat, I use Z8 Grand Finale spray for the best deepest look in any sealant I've used.

Zaino ZAIO is a polish/sealant just like a cleaner/wax. I'd just add a pure sealant to add longevity and to keep the finish in a very easy way to maintain on a day-to-day basis. You could just use Z6 to freshen up the sealant while cleaning any light dust. To add that POP, end with Z8.

Z2 Pro with ZFX is a bit more work. You mix one ounce of Z2 with 5 drops of ZFX in supplied bottles, shake well, let sit a few minutes, the apply.

With any Zaino, it has to applied very very thin. To the point where it's difficult to tell. Too much and Zaino will streak or become difficult to remove. Once it "cures", easy test is a finger wipe. If the area is clear after wiping a finger over it, it's cured and can be removed.

Zaino CS on the other hand is a spray on, walk away, no buffing at all! Works great!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rfedele
I too am no pro, but I think by using Zymol CLEANER wax you may have removed some/all of the Zaino. Just carnuba wax would be OK, but a cleaner wax is designed as a one step wax and POLISH.
Yes, it removes ALL prior sealant or wax since it contains a chemical cleanser to "polish" the paint finish with a small amount of carnauba.

I like using just a pure cleanser first, then a pure carnauba after for best effect.

Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cope
Pinnacle Souveran. It may not last the longest, but it sure does look the best.
Yes it does. But once day I did a side-by-side between Souveran and Poorboys Nattys at a detail meeting. Only one person was correct which was which and why.

For silver metallics, P21S wax seems to make it POP. Black or basault blacks anything from Souveran to more esoteric waxes makes them very deep and wet looking. Now that P21S has a newer wax with 100% carnauba, it may be a good choice for blacks. The 100% pertains to the amount of the wax used is carnauba as opposed to standard P21S which has beeswax. Not that it is 100% by volume as it would be hard as concrete.

Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

As long as we are on Zaino how is the Z7 car wash? and Do you reco Z-10 leather in a bottle for dash or seat wipe down.If not is there somrthing better for interior? Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tinluver
As long as we are on Zaino how is the Z7 car wash? and Do you reco Z-10 leather in a bottle for dash or seat wipe down.If not is there somrthing better for interior? Thanks!!
Z7 wash is not bad at all! Very slippery stuff and cleans well.

As for Z-10, I find it a bit too strong smelling for Porsche leather. Z-10 does work extremely well, but it's the fragrance that kills me. I use it still for Lexus leathers as it matches the smell almost 100% to original.

I started using Sonus leather conditioner. After treatment, open the doors and you'll be surprized to be greeted with the original smell from the leather. What it does it release the tanning oil smells from when it was done by the leather mfg. Sonus was developed by a fellow "P" car owner who used new Porsche "skins" still in factory wraps to match a way to get that original smell back. Sonus out of the bottle smells bad (not as bad as Lexol) but still bad, so no fragrance. Odd, but the stuff does work!

Deanski
Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deanski
For silver metallics, P21S wax seems to make it POP.
I agree with that 100%. I always use P21S on silver.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deanski
I started using Sonus leather conditioner.
I concur with that too. I use Z-10 on my wife's SUV, but the Sonus on the Porsche for the same reasons you mentioned.

Quick Reply: zaino, rejex or other for a black car?