Sponsored by:

Last hurrah for performance cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I don't see the problem. The issue is CO2 emissions, not power or performance. The challenge is for manufacturers to be creative and look for solutions that maintain performance expectations whilst reducing CO2 emissions. Porsche can reinvest some of it's cash into this challenge and put its best engineers onto the job.
CO2 is part of the issue, but the other part which is equally important is fuel economy. If we keep burning fossil fuels at the rate we're doing now we'll be economically devastated.

Back in 1985 my girlfriend had a Honda CRX, which achieved better than 50 mpg on regular unleaded gas. If they could do it 24 years ago, I can't understand why they're not doing it now.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

They were telling us the same thing in the early 1970s. Even Professor Porsche used to say that no challenge was insurmountable. Technology will prevail!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave

Back in 1985 my girlfriend had a Honda CRX, which achieved better than 50 mpg on regular unleaded gas. If they could do it 24 years ago, I can't understand why they're not doing it now.
I suspect that there are several reasons, including:
  • the engine in that old CRX would not pass today's new car emissions standards
  • Safety requirements. US Gov standards for safety have changed significantly since 1985 and when you add airbags, stability control, etc. on to that vehicle your MPG suffers
  • Consumer requirements - very few consumers would accept a lightweight car (like the old CRX) that trades efficiency for comfort. Today's consumer want power everything, heated and cooled seats and gloveboxes and a 9 billion watt stereo
  • Limited marketability. Honda couldn't give away the Insight (a small, 2 door hatchback like the CRX) and they sell a lot less Civic hybrids than Toyota does Prius. Maybe some of that is due to a inferior product but I personally believe that much of it has to do with people buy Hybrids because it's "cool" and a Prius is like a bright yellow Lance Armstrong wristband for the environmentally sensitive hip crowd.

I loved the old CRX and am enamored with the idea of a lightweight, no frills sports car but honestly wouldn't drive a Lotus Elise on S. CA highways for all the tea in China. And I suspect that I'm not the only one.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane993
Imagine being alive and old enough to buy any American muscle car you wanted from 1966 to 1971. Every year horsepower continued to increase. Then in 1973 the party abruptly ended due to emission standards. Looking back at it today it seems like a dream considering most of these cars that survived are sold at auction for mind boggling amounts. Guess what...we are living in that dream today. Todays performance cars exceed the muscle cars of days past with emissions that are bare fractions of those cars We are living in the last golden age of performance cars and yet once again this party is just about over. CO2 emission regulations will put a end to performance cars as we know them. California has already passed CO2 regulations. The auto industry is fighting a losing battle to delay these from becoming a national standard. Europe is not far behind and in some case ahead of the US. The new (and last) versions of the Cobra, Challenger SRT, Camero SS, Viper and GTFord may end up being as valuable than their 60's counter parts. As for Porsche's, who knows. Mid 60 to early 70 haven't held up well resale wise against muscle cars of the same era. Old BMW or MBZ haven't done very well either (except for a few tii's or MBZ rag tops). But for now, enjoy the party while it lasts. Take good care of your ride and who knows you may wake up one morning 20 years from know owning a high performance classic from those good old days at the turn of the century worth a small fortune.
Actually two factors came together almost simultaneously to kill muscle cars: Insurance rates and air pollution requirements. The insurance rate for my '70 427 ci, 435 HP Vette was around $250 when I bought the car new. About a year later, my insurance premium was raised by almost 200%, and my record was clean - no accidents or tickets. Of course air pollution devices really hurt. Vettes which put out 350 HP in 1970 were producing a little over half that amount a couple of years later. In my wildest dreams I never imagined that performance cars would have a renissance.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know where I can buy some carbon credit? On a more serious note, our cars strike a great balance between performance and carbon footprint. As I am on probation (speeding ticket) until April I have been getting around 22mpg in town! What other sports car does that.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Know where I can buy some carbon credit? On a more serious note, our cars strike a great balance between performance and carbon footprint. As I am on probation (speeding ticket) until April I have been getting around 22mpg in town! What other sports car does that.
I have about fifty trees that should be good for some type of credit.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's another way to increase performance while reducing CO2 which hasn't been mentioned much in this post - Reduce weight. There are a lot of advances in materials that should enable large gains in automobile weights.

I just look at my newer road bike that weighs around 16lbs using materials such as carbon, and compare it to my prior 10 speed that weighed so much more.

I believe global warming is real, and must be dealt with. I hope technology continues to move things forward. Back in the 1970's many automakers fought emissions control as well; have any of you seen the pollution in Manila recently to appreciate how much emissions help?

John
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Perhaps sports cars will, by necessity, become more like the Lotus Elise. Lighter, smaller more fuel efficient with a lot less luxury than is the current standard.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
They were telling us the same thing in the early 1970s. Even Professor Porsche used to say that no challenge was insurmountable. Technology will prevail!
Technology may prevail, but it will do so by getting us OFF oil. That's why it is essential that we force automakers to produce far more fuel-efficient cars.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsmirand
There's another way to increase performance while reducing CO2 which hasn't been mentioned much in this post - Reduce weight. There are a lot of advances in materials that should enable large gains in automobile weights.
Problem is, I don't know how you can make a car lighter without sacrificing safety, which is something most car buyers won't tolerate, to say nothing of the DOT. Carbon fiber is wonderful but it's also extremely expensive. Buyers demand cars that are both safe and cheap, which requires heavy steel and aluminum.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 PM
LockettC2S
5th Gear

Originally Posted by THPorsche
wow, is that mean I need to baby my SRT8 and use the 997 as a beater?
THPorsche......... I know that you have been asked this question before. Who is the girl pictured in your aviator? With all due respect, she is simply stunning.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Bio-fuels, especially biodiesel, may make diesel engine sports cars a high performance reality. Can you spell Audi?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:36 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 925 Likes on 519 Posts

Forget changing the powerplants - you want to drive an electric Corvette? a hybrid drive 911? The overall driving experience just will not be the same.

I think direct injection is the end of the line for what the traditional gasoline engine can do as far as MPG. Weight reduction is indeed the only way to balance the coming reductions in engine power output as CO2 restrictions get tighter, keeping the power/weight equation the same. Carbon fiber infused plastics aren't going to be cheap.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There must be something about human nature that makes us say 1) things are going downhill, 2) this is the last golden age, 3) things are at their zenith now and will be crap in the future.

Rubbish! Baloney! B*llsh*t!

Human inventiveness and innovation will prevail. It always has and always will. Period.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
Human inventiveness and innovation will prevail. It always has and always will.
+1
Especially now that F1 is gearing up for a more environmentally focused set of regulations -- energy recovery brakes for example.

Quick Reply: Last hurrah for performance cars?