Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Crunching" sound at low speed turning radius

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same noise - only on full lock, sounds like a rubbing tyre noise; having recently changed tyres from P Zero to PS2 the noise remains, so it's not a tyre manufacturer issue - sounds like it might be normal (but not nice)!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a similar sound on the front end of a 1999 A6. In that case, the mechanic found one of the links ( multi-link) was showing some play. Replacement of the link did the job.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experienced both issues. The most noticible is when I am backing up and crank the front wheels all the way to the left or right, it feels like they are rubbing the fender and/or slipping/dragging across the ground. I just thought it was a result of fairly aggressive alignment that's not happy at full lock in reverse.

The second issue happened for the first time last week. I'd just started the car on a 40 degree morning and was backing out of the driveway. The sensation coming through the steering wheel when I turned it was simililar to the buzzing/whining feel you get when power steering fluid is low. I stopped the car and turned the wheel back and forth and the problem persisted quite noticibly. No noise but resistance and friction in the steering. I made a mental note to have the dealer look into it next service. It hasn't reoccured since.

MC
Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Redwine4me
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing on my BMW coming from the front end, only at low speed like backing out of the driveway. Someone mentioned it could be a bearing or even a U-joint. Definitely not the power steering or the tires rubbing on anything though.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
tarheeljim
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Same problem here, but not out of the garage in the morning, just after sitting in the cold. I have only noticed it happening on very cold days when I'm backing out of a parking space. I especially noticed it once my office lot was resurfaced.

Could it be that the summer tires are too cold to grip correctly at very low speeds if angled aggressively (to the edge)? I haven't been to the dealer.

Quick Reply: "Crunching" sound at low speed turning radius