InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pics, 91.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 343 Posts

Realized that I'm always taking pics of my car with "nice" background e.g. water, fall foilage, parks, etc. I saw some pics on another forum with some old broken down buildings as the backdrop and I thought they looked great. Unfortunately they were taken by an awesome photographer - and I suck LOL! So, these are not as good but still an interesting place.

Anyway, I happen to live about 10 minutes away from Pilgrim State hospital. It has quite the interesting history.

In the 1920's NY city had 6 mental hospitals and all were extremely overcrowded. The state's answer was to build the solution to this problem once and for all - Pilgrim State Hospital.

Originally designed to house close to 15,000 patients on over 1,500 acres of land, Pilgrim still holds the record of being the largest pysch. hospital in the world. Initial construction lasted from 1930-1941. I'm not sure exactly but there are at least 50 separate buildings on the campus. Lots of underground tunnels too - That must be fun!!

It was built to be completely self sufficient. It had it's own police, fire, post office. They grew much of their own food and also produced their own power and water.

Unfortunately back in the day if you were brought to a place like this - you probably never left.

Some of the treatments performed there included Insulin shock therapy (introduced at Pilgrim in 1936), electric shock therapy and Prefontal lobotomies. Up to two thousand were performed there between 1946 and 1959.

I used to date a girl who worked in administration and I'd go there to take her out to lunch. Let me tell you - it is one creepy place. I can't imagine what it would be like to walk around inside the buildings now. Nothing was really removed so everything is how it was - beds, equipment, furniture, etc.

There is actually some newer buildings that still have some patients but no where near what it was.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
An oldy but goody,

Dave, how much extra did you have to pay for the "Tripod" option?

Last edited by gota911; 01-31-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An oldy but goody,

Never fails to disappoint.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An oldy but goody,

Dave,

I just love any picture of a great big dick in front of a beautiful Porsche. That thing hanging out of your pants is interesting too.

j/k
Alex
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Dave,

I just love any picture of a great big dick in front of a beautiful Porsche. That thing hanging out of your pants is interesting too.

j/k
Alex
Nicely done!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Dave, how much extra did you have to pay for the "Tripod" option?
It was the John Holmes launch edition.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Realized that I'm always taking pics of my car with "nice" background e.g. water, fall foilage, parks, etc. I saw some pics on another forum with some old broken down buildings as the backdrop and I thought they looked great. Unfortunately they were taken by an awesome photographer - and I suck LOL! So, these are not as good but still an interesting place.

Anyway, I happen to live about 10 minutes away from Pilgrim State hospital. It has quite the interesting history.

In the 1920's NY city had 6 mental hospitals and all were extremely overcrowded. The state's answer was to build the solution to this problem once and for all - Pilgrim State Hospital.

Originally designed to house close to 15,000 patients on over 1,500 acres of land, Pilgrim still holds the record of being the largest pysch. hospital in the world. Initial construction lasted from 1930-1941. I'm not sure exactly but there are at least 50 separate buildings on the campus. Lots of underground tunnels too - That must be fun!!

It was built to be completely self sufficient. It had it's own police, fire, post office. They grew much of their own food and also produced their own power and water.

Unfortunately back in the day if you were brought to a place like this - you probably never left.

Some of the treatments performed there included Insulin shock therapy (introduced at Pilgrim in 1936), electric shock therapy and Prefontal lobotomies. Up to two thousand were performed there between 1946 and 1959.

I used to date a girl who worked in administration and I'd go there to take her out to lunch. Let me tell you - it is one creepy place. I can't imagine what it would be like to walk around inside the buildings now. Nothing was really removed so everything is how it was - beds, equipment, furniture, etc.

There is actually some newer buildings that still have some patients but no where near what it was.
[/QUOTE]

Awesome pictures and a great story. Always love hearing details about the background and who took the pictures, etc. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so freakin' blind...I was tripod??? how did they know he took this image from a tripod??? After the 3rd posting with the image and Alex calling the guy a big dick...i was like that is rude!! And finally I saw the "big dick"........I was distracted by the balloons in the background I guess!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I am so freakin' blind...I was tripod??? how did they know he took this image from a tripod??? After the 3rd posting with the image and Alex calling the guy a big dick...i was like that is rude!! And finally I saw the "big dick"........I was distracted by the balloons in the background I guess!
Good to see your name is Nicholas and not Nicole!

We've been having fun with Coochas for a few years now!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG

You have all the basics there, they just need a bit of tweaking, and attention drawn to the actual subject

As malammik said, great to hear the story that goes with the background.
It struck me as a lot of mental health patients........but Sigmund Freud was working during that period !

My contribution to the 997 pics:

Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
no that 'odd'
Hi NinetyOne,
I noticed that last pic of the yellow 997s together looks like the one that was published in Total 911 around the time of the C4/S introduction. Were you on that photoshoot/the photographer?
In any event, would you mind PM'ing me with the highest rez shots of your two yellow pics for my wallpaper collection?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

This one is pretty odd.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
This one is pretty odd.

Wow,...how fast were you going?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow,...how fast were you going?
Fast enough to keep that thing planted in your shorts.

Quick Reply: Post Your Odd 997 Shots!