Our new C4S!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
ibmiked:
What is that grey area above your car haning from the ceiling?
+1
Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
rzundel
Instructor

IMO the original black wheels looked much nicer on the car. It seems criminal to put 18" 265 tires on a C4S (winter or not). Am I missing something here? I must admit that you have a nice garage set up though.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the garage, I did everything myself over the course of the last year. I like to work on and keep my cars clean, so I thought the environment should be fitting. Since I have winter and summer tire sets for both the Cayenne and the Carrera, I decided to build a tire rack using black pipe and fittings that would utilize the dead space between the doors. The very bottom of the rack is 6' off the ground, so it doesn't interfere with moving around the garage. My wife made the grey covers to clean up the look.

As for the 265 winter tires, I think you'll find the debate about 18" versus 19" wheels is extensive here on Rennlist, with many people making the point that the 997 was designed for 18"s and 19"s were added for the US market. When searching for winter/cold weather tires, 265 is the current limit in width available for our cars (at least when I bought mine). I've got Michelin Pilot Alpines, which so far have been excellent in the cold. In addition, most tire experts agree that a narrower tire is better in the snow, especially one that is matched to the fronts in order to ride inside the tire tracks created by the front wheels.

For aesthetic reasons, I will be ordering spacers for the rear to bring the tires out to the proper 'flush-look', although that might compromise the snow handling.

My home-made tire rack (cost ~$125):

Old 01-28-2008, 04:25 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont you wish you got it inspected in december so the tag would match your calipers/seatbelts?

where did you get the frames for the posters i neeeeeeeed me some of those!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont you wish you got it inspected in december so the tag would match your calipers/seatbelts?
Now why would you go and point that out? ARRGH!

I had the posters framed at a local frame shop in Patchogue. Even the cheapest frames and glass are not so cheap, but at least now I can swap out factory posters as they are released. The woman actually thought I worked for a dealership. I was too embarrassed to say they were for my own garage.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM
jjf 04C4Scab
Track Day

Congrats on the C4S (and very nice garage/tire rack and lift).

I recently drove a 997 carrera, a 997 C2S cab and a 997 C4S coupe. The C4S coupe was my favorite of the three by a wide margin.

Quick Reply: Our new C4S!