Sponsored by:

Interaction among Porsche owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interaction among Porsche owners

There's been recent posts about the negative treatment Porsche owners seem to get from others. I didn't want to hijack the threads, so I'm starting this one about the more positive interactions people may have had with other Porsche owners. Perhaps not surprising to many of you, but I have been surprised at the level of respect and friendliness Porsche owners exhibit toward one another.

Before the cold weather sets in in the northeast, my Saturday morning routine is to take a drive through the beautiful Westchester roads. I usually wind up at a Starbucks for a hot coffee before heading back home to meet the family for breakfast. One Saturday morning, a man came up to me at alocal Starbucks to say hello. He said that he saw me get out of the 997, that he had the same car. We then spent several minutes talking about our cars.

Another Saturday, I took the 997 to a local hand car wash place. Just in front of my car was a 996 Turbo. A woman and her son got out of the car to wait for the car to get dried after the wash. After drying the car, one of the car wash guys screamed out, "the Porch is ready. Who has the Porch." The woman chuckled, came over to me and said, "I'd better go and fetch my Porch." We laughed and spent a few minutes talking about her car.

Several years ago, when I had the Boxster S, I was driving to work on a hot summer morning. Because there was rain in the forecast, I had the top up, with the AC going. I saw a yellow Boxster drive past me with the top down. Then suddenly, the sky opened up. It was the most amazing downpour I'd seen in a while. In any case, I kept on driving to see what happened to the guy in the yellow Boxster with the top down, and I saw it pulled over to the side, with another older Porsche behind him with his hazards on, while the yellow Boxster put up its top. How cool is that?

This is my favorite one. On a beautiful summer day, I decided to drive the 997 into work in NYC. I was stopped at a red light when a black 997 coupe pulled up next to me. My top was down with music blaring. The 997 owner honks his horn at me. I turned down the music to hear what he had to say. He said, "nice car", and then he asked, "does your car do this?" He the started jumping up and down on his seat to reveal a creak in the rear suspension. I told him that my car does not do that. I told him he should get it checked out. He said he was taking it in the next day, but that it was killing him to figure out what the problem was. It was a bit amusing that a grown man couldn't wait 24 hours to have someone identify and fix the problem. More amusing was that I'd be the same way.

A final observation is that when I'm driving on the highways, it's not uncommon for a kid in a Hyundai or a VW to tail me or cut me off for some unexplainable reason. I've noticed that whenever I see another Porsche, however, although many of them drive aggressively, I've never experienced a Porsche tailgate me, cut me off, or try to pass me in a disrespectful way. There appears to be a general sense of respect Porsche owners seem to show each other. It's all good.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i joke about the gayman comments but in all honesty i've always looked out for other porch drivers

Even stopped on 95 by new rochelle at 130AM on my way to tacobell to help a guy in a Cayenne. Turns out he blew the motor. I stayed with the guy BS'n about Porsches sitting in my truck for about a half hour till the tow truck came and picked him and the SUV up. Taco Bell was closed by the time the tow truck came but i didnt care, i didnt feel like leaving the guy out there in the cold till the truck came.

I too, will have ricers tail and/or cut me off in the turbo just to show off to me while other Porsche drivers will cruise with me and not do anything stupid. Personally I really like it when another 911 comes up and decides to stick with me when i open it up on a stretch of road, puts a HUGE smile on my face.

Anyways, time to go for some breakfast & get the car washed......maybe it will get above freezing today!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

For the most part I agree with you on the cordiality Porsche owners show each other. Here in Palm Beach this is not the case all the time. A hair on the stuck up side I find some Porsche owners. Ill pull up to one at a light and say something and get ignored many times as if they are saying ,"How dare you have a car like mine". The older Porsches are much more likely to engage in "car talk" than these newbie Boca types.
The ricers are a problem here regularly tailgating or cutting in front closely trying to do God knows what but ignoring and driving safely is paramount in my mind.
The other day at home depot I see a macadamia turbo parked with the top down way out in the corner of the stores lot avoiding door dings obviously. There was a couple of younger guys standing admiring it and I continued on in to the store but as I was about to enter I turned around and saw a kid reaching in to the car. So I watched him doing something and turn and walk away but it was none of my business so I go in thinking that Porsche owner had ***** parking in the corner and leaving the top down. Later I left my card sayin to call me that I saw some kid messin with his car and how I had a 911 as well and that I had never seen a macadamia car in the flesh. No call to date. Another Palm Beacher with an attitude.
I get a real kick out of interacting with other Porsche owners and when you find owners willing to do that its a real treat.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Things have changed significantly with respect to the "average" Porsche driver. Years ago they were all enthusiasts. Today, it's more of a statement by most of them that they have something exclusive. (Of course, when you look at production figures, it's ironic that the 997 numbers are creeping up into the 914 numbers!) There was always some sort of camaraderie within Porsche owners but now many caveat it with the model number you have. Some have even considered the Cayenne as a "station wagon!" It's like the headlight flashing,--it existed for years and then began to fade with the 928 and the 944. Perhaps some of that was because of the hidden headlights,--or most likely because some Porsche owners considered the air cooled Porsches the only true Porsche. I have noticed within my local PCA region that the VAST majority (90% or higher) are water cooled with 6 cylinders. It's just the migration of the marque to what Porsche AG is offering,--but we shouldn't discriminate against anyone. Within the PCA you should always keep a copy of their Panorama magazine in the glove box when crossing the country. If you have any problems you can call local contacts and they will be eager to help!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=J
A final observation is that when I'm driving on the highways, it's not uncommon for a kid in a Hyundai or a VW to tail me or cut me off for some unexplainable reason. I've noticed that whenever I see another Porsche, however, although many of them drive aggressively, I've never experienced a Porsche tailgate me, cut me off, or try to pass me in a disrespectful way. There appears to be a general sense of respect Porsche owners seem to show each other. It's all good.[/QUOTE]

Nice post and thread. The comment on other drivers goes both ways I suppose, as we have a responsibility to "honor" the marque and our club affiliation--at least IMHO, we do. Case in point, on a PCA event a while back we had a string of about 30 cars +/- and one driver in a 930 moved into the left, oncoming traffic lane of a two lane road to pass some slower cars that were in front of him. Instead of getting back in to his lane after safely passing a couple of the cars, he kept going trying to get around the entire group of the slower cars and literally forced two oncoming cars to pull off to their right in order to avoid a head on collision. Very STUPID move and one that reflected poorly on the whole group that day.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I hope to get my first 911 within the next year ( have wanted one since I was 16, now in my 50's...college for the kids..yada, yada). I just ordered a new, very lightly optioned, BMW 535 ( company car) and the dealers do not carry manual transmission cars ( nobody orders them?). My car needs to be ordered from the factory. It seems these cars are purchased more for status than for the real interest in a sports sedan ( I know traffic is getting really bad). I think this is an issue for all premium brands. When it's my turn to order a 911, it will be very lightly optioned with a MANUAL transmission. sorry, if I have offfended anyone... not the intention.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:16 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

notice how comradery comes from strangers and flame from relatives and friends???? hmmmm
Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread, and I agree with much of what is said above... Here are a few stories & points that I'd like to add...

1. It was the summer of 1995 and I was driving in Newport, RI with a friend in my "beater" '79 SC Targa (I loved that car, but it needed MUCH TLC). Coming down the road towards me was a brand new 94 Turbo 3.6 in black/black. I began to flip out as it was my dream car. Before I could take the wide grin off my face to wave, he flashed me the brights and waved. Here was a guy in a car worth 10x my own, and he gave my 911 the nod. As Edgy points out, that was old school. I rarely get returned "Porsche recognition" in either my Speedster or my GT3, but when I do, it is appreciated...

2. In the fall of 2006, I was driving out to a DE at Miller Motorsports Park here in Utah in my Speedster. I had left the GT3 over night in the parking lot there as it was a 3-day event and I really didn't want to put 300 "commute" miles on it. Driving on I-80, the Speedster got a flat tire at about 7:30am. As I was attempting to fix the flat, 3 different 911 owners heading to MMP stopped off the road to help. A few more honked and slowed until I waved them on. Sure, it was the big PCA race at MMP that weekend, but it was one hell of a good feeling to see that support...

3. Unrelated to Porsches. I bought my wife a nice ring for Christmas that has a look unique to the designer. Just yesterday, my wife told me that she was at Starbucks in Park City, UT (Sundance is going on right now) and noticed a "Hollywood Type" who was wearing the same ring. My wife went over to her and said, "you have excellent taste", and then pointed out that they had the same rings. The woman looked completely disgusted and walked away. That story meshes nicely with one a few months back where a little girl at my son's school looked at my wife and said to her mom, "Mommy, you have her (hand)bag," to which the mom replied, "no sweetie, she has mine. (smile, smile)"...

I have met some great people in parking lots, on planes, at the gas station, and even here on Rennlist that truly love to talk shop about Porsches. I do think that Porsches have become more of a "status" car as Porsche has made them more "driveable" over the last few decades. However, the enthusiasts are still alive and well, and there are plenty of them around to maintain the level of kinsmanship that brought me to the marque in the first place...

-Blake
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

I have never had a bad experience with another Porshe driver, on the contrary, they are always friendly. Driving home late one night on a deserted dry highway, I pulled up along side another 911, we waved, smiled and slowly accelerated, each pulling ahead of the other, finally reached our exit after hitting about 140 (sorry officer, meant to say the legal limit) , again waved and smiled and went out separate ways
Old 01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I've been in this Porsche world now for just short of two years. Not being a car enthusiast (not quite sure what that really means), I had no real knowledge that there was this sense of community and any camaraderie among owners, or that the car would elicit so much reaction, both good and bad.

I wanted a convertible, something fun and "uncommon" and something that would drive like a real a sports car. The 911 cab did it all for me.

In the two years since, I am still so pleasantly surprised at how friendly the other Porsche owners are. The acknowledgments on the road, the helpfulness of this forum, the conversations that start if I meet another owner have all been an added plus that I didn't know would come "free" with the car.

And like the experiences shared above, on the road, I have found the other Porsche drivers courteous and friendly and the other 911 drivers even more so.

As for the ******** in their beat-to-hell supped-up civics who still try to cut you off regardless of how fast you are going, well, I guess that's the price of membership.

I'm happy to have joined the club. You guys are part of what makes the experience special - thanks.

Kevin
Old 01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a guy in an E60M5 give me the nod a little while ago and a guy in a 997T4 waved back to me when i "flashed" him from behind at a light. Guess some of us are just enthusiasts!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
bigmac
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love all car nuts. Mac
Old 01-26-2008, 07:56 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I am surprised no one has mentioned PCA events. The Internet/and drive bys are nice and all, but the PCA is the heart of Porsche. We have been genuinely surprised at the number and diverseness of events our Local Chapter offers. Of all the great stuff surrounding our purchase, our PCA chapter and people have been the best and the least expected: From the dinners/polo/car shows/etc to the driving/DE events.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Just spent about 3 hours with a guy I met on the Rennlist (in 911 territory) who needed someone to listen to his 3.2 Carrera to see if he had adjusted his valves correctly (he did). His 87 Carrera Cabriolet is absolutely his favorite car (struggling grad student). We went from nose to tail on details for him to stay on top of. He then helped me guide my hardtop onto my cab. Common interests,--Porsches (and physics!)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went to the Houston Auto Show today. As usual every year, I circled the Porsche display with great admiration, satisfaction, and a bit of pride. I sat down on the carpeted floor off to the side to enjoy the view, and my 4 year-old boy sat down right next to me, both of us just gazing at an orange 997 C4S for I don't know how long. Not a word was spoken the entire time; it was quite a father-son moment. As I got up to leave, I noticed another gentleman sitting on the other side. He gave me a nod as if to say "I know what you mean."

Quick Reply: Interaction among Porsche owners