Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a performance chip void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a performance chip void warranty?

I am considering a chip, not really for the performance for the improved drivability it my produce. I really don't like the way vario cam comes in and out.

My concern is that it may void my warranty.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

colour me curious as well.....
I want to take advantage of my full AWE exhaust system....

Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Ask your service representative to be sure. Most will tell you here that it will jeopardize the warranty,--Porsche can use it as evidence against paying off if the engine fails.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I am considering a chip, not really for the performance for the improved drivability it my produce. I really don't like the way vario cam comes in and out.

My concern is that it may void my warranty.
It will depend on the dealer but many times his hands are tied by what PCNA decides. If something happens to the engine, the issue of performance mods/chip will probably come up. If the radio goes out they'll have a hard time blaming the chip for that.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some dealers offer GIAC software? I'm guessing if you've got a receipt for the work done by a Porsche Dealer they may have a harder time voiding your warranty.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some dealers offer GIAC software? I'm guessing if you've got a receipt for the work done by a Porsche Dealer they may have a harder time voiding your warranty.
Yes many dealers do mods - more money for them. Have a serious problem where they need to call in a regional tech and you're pretty much toast.

It certainly helps if you have a "mod friendly" dealer but anything serious - and you could be in trouble.

also, they can't arbitrarily void your warranty. For instance, if you have a chip and your PCM goes on the fritz they can't tie the chip to the PCM and deny that claim. It's called the Moss-Magnuson act. The dealer/manufacturer has to prove that the mod contributed to the failure.

You just need to know what you're getting into. There is too much incorrect info. like "the dealer did the mod, so I'm OK".
Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'll tell you this much. It doesn't matter who installs the "chip" your warrantee claim can be denied. The regional rep has a diagnostic computer that even the dealers don't have and can't see. The rep can tell if the ECU has been tampered with and can deny the claim. And don't trust the companies that sell the tuning packages. They won't provide any legal help when you are fighting the claim.

Don't do it. What's wrong with variocam anyway? It's about as smooth as you can get.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the APR chip with the Awe exhaust, Plenum,x-51 airbox and it makes a nice difference. I will take the risk.

My guess if the intermediate shaft fails or the RMS goes they can't blame it on the mods. If it burns a hole through the piston or I abuse as in over rev the engine on a downshift it will be my problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I'll tell you this much. It doesn't matter who installs the "chip" your warrantee claim can be denied. The regional rep has a diagnostic computer that even the dealers don't have and can't see. The rep can tell if the ECU has been tampered with and can deny the claim. And don't trust the companies that sell the tuning packages. They won't provide any legal help when you are fighting the claim.

Don't do it. What's wrong with variocam anyway? It's about as smooth as you can get.
It's important to keep in mind that it's the manufacurer and not the Dealer that offers the warranty. Sure, it won't hurt to have the Dealer in your corner, but Porsche makes the final call. My experience has been that a chip makes only a small HP increase in a NA engine, so IMO the risk outweighs the reward.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

it really depends on your relationship with your dealer, very little on my current car is still stock, though I am not worreied that it would not be covered, when I had issues with my very moded 1st 996tt, my dealer covered everything under warranty. If you are a new customer, I would be very careful though.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
it really depends on your relationship with your dealer, very little on my current car is still stock, though I am not worreied that it would not be covered, when I had issues with my very moded 1st 996tt, my dealer covered everything under warranty. If you are a new customer, I would be very careful though.
I don't want to disagree but it really boils down to whether the regional rep approves it or not. The dealer has very little input when it comes to large items, like a blown engine.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Guys....Mitch is absolutly correct. Your warranty is with Porsche the manufacture NOT Porsche the dealer.

It's a gamble!

However some dealers in my area sometimes will have a car on the floor brand new with dealer installed options like a Revo or GIAC ecu upgrade, after market exhaust, Porsche or Techart aerokit, after market wheels and a Champion spring lowering kit...car is brand new and sold as new...so go figure!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Even your dealer is the one who sells and installs the mod, they probably will ask you to sign a waiver first.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E55AMG
also, they can't arbitrarily void your warranty. For instance, if you have a chip and your PCM goes on the fritz they can't tie the chip to the PCM and deny that claim. It's called the Moss-Magnuson act. The dealer/manufacturer has to prove that the mod contributed to the failure.
Right Chris.
The onus is on the dealer/mfr to prove the mod contributed to the failure.

Would have thought some doctors or lawyers around here would have pointed that out earlier.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The onus is on the dealer/mfr to prove the mod contributed to the failure.

You are citing a legal point that is valid, but it only applies in court. Porsche has every right to deny an engine warranty claim, if your engine has been modified, and then if you take the issue to court, Porsche would have to prove that the mod contributed to the failure. So you could be stuck with not only the cost of a new engine, but also legal costs.

IMO the best course of action in cases like this is compromise. I had a friend who had his warranty denied by Porsche, but they reached a compromise whereby he had to pay only labor charges.

Quick Reply: Does a performance chip void warranty?