Sponsored by:

PSE versus TUBI

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PSE versus TUBI

Thinking of adding an upgraded exhaust to the car...better to go to the dealer and get the PSE installed, so I can turn it on and off, OR, should I go with the TUBI set-up? Any advice appreciated.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

By all means I AM NOT AN EXPERT....but if I going to dish out the money since you have an "S"....for a little more money II would get AWE or Fabspeed headers, muffler, and cat....then you would be getting not only the sound but the hp with it. I don't know if you can combine Tubi muffler in there somewhere if you like the sound...nor do I know Tubi $$. If you are handy you can install the Fab/Awe by yourself and save on labor cost.
IMHO
abe
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
....then you would be getting not only the sound but the hp with it.
Is there ~really~ a hp increase with these aftermarket/PSE exhaust? I've often seen a hp increase advertised (especially with 993 aftermarket exhaust), but I haven't seen a lot of reliable data to support it.

Anyone have any reliable data supporting these products?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I know there is no increase in HP with the PSE. Changing cat, muffler, header in the non S model will give you a minimal hp increase of 10-12hp and probably not worth spending money. I have read almost every article here and the 6speedonline and the best I can gather is that the header on the 997 S is not as air efficient as the non S....so changing it plus the cat makes a difference. For sound the muffler is helpful and you may get a few more hps. If your lucky you will get 25-35hp with all your changes in the exhaust (not sure if includes re programing too). If you look there are a few Dyno results..most provided by the company. There may be a few owner dynos too if I recall.
I will leave the rest to the experts...but that is what I have learned so far. Also the air intake gives you very little compared hp to modifying the exhaust system.
abe
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am very interested in the answer to is there a HP gain with PSE. I went to a well respected mechanic/racer for my M3 wanting an exhaust. He sold me shark software and SSK saving me money in his opinion the exhaust was not worth the cost. Now I have an aftermarket Exhaust system for my 2001 Screaming Eagle Road King made by Rhinehart (who I am told makes exhausts for nascar) and let me tell you It is a major improvement. I never confirmed with dyno but I can really feel it. I know all the subaru people get very nice gains opening up the front air box and after market exhaust allowing more air in and out. I do like the idea of PSE switch on or off but would like to know if it resets when you turn car off or stays in its last selected position.

thank tim,
Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Tim, Porsche makes no claims about PSE delivering additional HP. It is possible that there could be some HP gain, but it would be minor, manbe 5 - 7 HP. Nothing you would notice.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by pred8or
Now I have an aftermarket Exhaust system for my 2001 Screaming Eagle Road King made by Rhinehart (who I am told makes exhausts for nascar) and let me tell you It is a major improvement
My Evo Fatboy has been goosed from 48rwhp (stock) to 80+rwhp (modified) - and the freeflow exhaust accounted for almost 25% of that gain. That said, I don't think that Porsche has left much (anything?) on the table for exhaust gains. Keep in mind that a stock H-D Evo motor puts out 36rwhp per liter and a stock 997S puts out roughly 80bhp at the rear wheels - so there is MUCH more efficiency to be gained in modifying a Harley.

I have the PSE. I like the sound and the fact that it is a true quad outlet system, as opposed to the two "fake" outlets on the stock (and aftermarket) exhausts.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This subject has been beat to death many times over.

If you want more noise and you want to be able to switch from stock noise to more noise get the PSE.

If you want power and noise go with AWE, Fabspeed, Remus, Tubi, etc.

The header is a major bottle neck on the 3.8. The inexpensive E-bay/suncoast header is major improvement and cheap. I know I have them but don't currently have them on the car. I was able to find a used AWE system very reasonably. Headers, Cats, and Mufflers. Power and noise. But it only sounds noisey to me with the wife in the car?

From what I have heard on the boards and talked to several people The Tubi's may be the loudest except for straight pipes which some people run. The Remus and a version of the Cargraphic may be the quietest to meet European standards but still add some power. The power comes from the Header and the less restrictive Cats with the Muffler helping a little.

Many people have put on the X-51 header at about 1/3 the price of others, then added Cats and a muffler of their choice. From what I have read and observed AWE and FAbspeed seem to be the most popular choices.

In addition to the Awe system I have the RSS plenum and TB, x-51 airbox and APR ECU software. It is all good.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really care much about the hp pick-up, as lets be honest...where on the streets am I going to use the extra speed...this car already screams. I simply wanted a more throatier sound....very intoxicating.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by cole328
I don't really care much about the hp pick-up, as lets be honest...where on the streets am I going to use the extra speed...this car already screams. I simply wanted a more throatier sound....very intoxicating.
Then...absolutely go with the PSE. And, you get the opportunity to turn it off when appropriate.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

for the price of PSE or Tubi mufflers I would go with Fabspeed headers, 200 cell cats and Maxflo mufflers.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I have PSE and I can confirm that there is an HP boost of about 50-60.

It's all in the head, but it's there, honest
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Here's my two cents.

'05C2S - Had AWE cats and exhaust installed. Awesome. Great sound and definite power increase.

'07TT - Had Fabspeed cats and exhaust installed. Awesome. Great sound and maybe some power, but I really couldn't tell because the car was really fast anyway. IMPORTANT: Traded the car to a dealer who I normally don't work with (not P-car either). Note: I had clearly disclosed what had been done to the car because they took the trade sight unseen. On the way to the dealer to do the trade, car throws a CEL. (This was about 2K after Fabspeed install). I offered to put the deal on-hold and get resolution of the CEL, dealer said no big deal and took the trade. They took it to the local P-car place (who I have dealt with - had bought a 360 spider from them about a year before). P-car dealer tells other dealer - tough luck - aftermarket exhaust equals no warranty service on the CEL. Dealer then stops pay on check to me w/o any notification. Many things then happen including me finding the original exhaust and cats and the dealer putting them back on. This was a very unpleasant couple of weeks.

Net/net - I now have an '08C2S and opted for PSE. Although I stongly prefered the AWE set-up there is no way I would ever sign up again for what happened on the TT. That said, if I had a car that was either close to or out of warranty I would go with AWE.

Feel free to PM me if you want all the details. I have done a lot of research and experienced three set-ups so I feel I know a bit about the user side of the whole deal.

Tim
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
pred8or
Racer

Tim, Based on that PSE sounds the only way to go until warranty is up anyway. I ordered my C4S today and after listening to PSE at the dealer I absolutely had to have it!

Tim,

PS I have had 2 issues of aftermarket installs that would void warranty. One was on my 2001 Harley Road King with aftermarket exhaust which voids warranty plus the bike was out of warranty on top of that. It had a engine issue that was about a $1500 repair and H.D. stepped up to the plate and covered me without question . I was very impressed. The second issue I had was a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 with a plow installed voiding the warranty. The alternator failed because it was packed with road salt and a sand shorting out causing the engine wiring harness to burnup. One year old with 22k miles and Toyota would not cover it based on the plow. The repair bill was $1900 Needless to say I will never buy Toyota again.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

I agree with your comments. It's just too bad - as I really believe the AWE products are terrific. PSE is nice, but it doesn't pack the punch or have the sound of AWE. But like you, I now have a 997S with PSE. (And no real regrets.)

Quick Reply: PSE versus TUBI