Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Rotors for 997S calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replacement Rotors for 997S calipers?

I've been searching for the best option for replacement rotors for my 997S (the fronts are toast). I believe PFC makes their direct drive 2-piece floating rotor (what I really want) for the front, but not rear caliper. I remember hearing that there's a race shop that makes rotors that fit both front and rear, but they were expensive (ie: $500 each vs. $300 for PFC). I also heard through the grape vine that there are Brembo and / or StopTech floating rotors that are sized correctly to directly swap with oem and work with the oem 997S calipers - but I can't get a straight answer from a Brembo dealer.

My preference would be:
1) If PFC made fronts and rears, then I'd be in for $1200 for a set of 4 and save quite a bit of weight and be into slotted instead of drilled (perfect). Anyone out there know?
2) If Brembo / StopTech had rotors sized that I could use with my 997S calipers - slotted much preferred.
3) A racing rotor (rather not due to cost and besides - I'm not racing, just doing DEs).

Any help appreciated...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Oooooh, I wait for the answers to this one! I too am sick of the so called cross drilled rotors and would rather have slotted....but....I am not going to spend a vast amount of money when I am just doing DE's.

Ron, when I spoke to Perf Fric they said Synergy has there fronts but they saw no need for rears on our cars. My rears do not crack like the fronts do.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Nice new wheels Mike!

I got the same answer and have the same results (rears fine, fronts shot), but I'm wired such that I want matching fronts and rears. One reason is the weight savings, another having matching slots or holes - whichever the case. If this were a pure track car, I might not care as much - but it's also a somewhat daily driver...
Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ron - here is a link to the "fitment" section of the Stop Tech site which gives you a template to print out to help ensure the rotors fit correctly.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml#p
Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link, but that says it is to confirm the calipers will clear. I'm looking to use my oem calipers and want replacement rotors. I did use the contact page to email StopTech - let's see what they say.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you Ron, my fronts are toast..
Looking forward to reading some solutions....

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Good topic. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I went back into my older email and here is a response from PFC:
We currently make front rotors for the Carrera S 997. The part number you need is 318.067.87(left) and 318.067.88(right). They are currently in stock and ready to ship.

They mentioned they are in stock at OG and when I contacted them they said PFC did their research and found a "need" only for the fronts on the 997S so they weren't really planning to develop them for the rear in the near-term. Based on everything I've been learning about the 997S, I wonder if maybe somebody does make 2-piece slotted for front and rear of the 996TT because those are the same exact calipers we have on our 997S.

Rennsport Systems wrote:
Brembo & Wrightwood Racing (AP) make full-floating race rotors and they run $ 1850/pr.

Obviously, I found that a bit expensive for DE use I'm still trying to track down if there is a Brembo alternative in 350mm with the correct thickness that is direct swap. I can't imagine Brembo rotors are actually $3700 for a set of 4...

This just in from StopTech:
Thank you for contacting us about a brake upgrade for your Porsche. Unfortunately we do not have any 2 piece rotors for your stock calipers and the 1 piece stock replacements that are offered are drilled in order to match the OEM parts. We are working on complete big brake kits for your vehicle that would be offered with 2 piece slotted rotors but no plans are in process to have new parts cast in your stock rotor sizes.

Also, this in From Alcon:
Thanks for your inquiry. We do not current have rotors in our line for the 997S. Have you tried Wrightwood Racing in California?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Ron

You can buy rear S OEM replacement rotors for less than $140.00 each and fronts for $153.00 each. Is the weight savings that critical? How many rotors are you going through a year?

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 01-04-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I realize the your driving style (lot's of DEs) make the difference, but what sort of mileage do you guys have with the toasted rotors?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

My guess is I'll go through 2 sets of front rotors and one set of rears a season. This past year was my 1st with the 997S and the first half of the year I went extremely easy on it because it was new (not yet broken in) and I was learning the differences between my old M3 and the new 997S. Once I was comfortable, I adjusted the alignment (control arms), went from oem to moderate, to full race pads and SRF, and to R-comps. Once that transition was complete, the degradation of the front (and minimally rear) rotors was spiking. Another factor is I share my car with my son who started DE in late March and after 4 days was moved into the next run group. He's already effective at heel-toe and his typical lap time at LRP is improving quickly - so he's starting to add some real wear onto the rotors too.

My hope with something like a PFC direct drive front and rear was that I'd move from drilled to slotted, I'd get 1 year out of the fronts (vs. 1/2) and 2 years out of the rears (vs. 1) and when I need to replace the rotors I'm only changing the friction surface as they are 2-piece. So although the PFC type of rotor costs 2x the oem, I feel that they will be more cost effective long-term and the added bonus is they will be about 4 lbs lighter per corner. Add that to my Fikse wheels at 19/20 lbs front and rear and there will be some real unsprung weight benefits.

Quick Reply: Replacement Rotors for 997S calipers?