997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any of you guys "chipped" an S..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007 | 09:47 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Default Have any of you guys "chipped" an S..

And if so, what is the best product out there? not sure i I would even do it, as I am concerned about messing up the electronics or the warranty, however, i drove in a buddy''s '07 BMW 335 yesterday that was chipped, and this car turned 4.3 seconds, and felt like the engine would pull forever. Again, not exactly sure where I would use this extra speed since mine is a street driver, but then again, would be nice to know the power's there..... Any thoughts would be appreciated, or if you concur I should do nothing, please feel free to virtually smack me ha Cole
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:40 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I can tell you this much. Be very careful. If you "chip" the car in any way and have a major warrantee issue you will probably be out of luck. Let me give a true example:

A friend takes his 996 C-2 to a local dealer with the stock ECU (in fact, he had no idea the car was ever modified and neither did the dealer who sold the car as a CPO used car). It was determined that he needed a new engine. Now comes the Porsche service rep. He has a computer that even the dealer can't get. The rep doesn't allow the dealer's people see the computer or what he does. After less than 5 minutes, the rep infoms the dealer that the warrantee is void, that the car has been modified. Friend has to pay. Now because the dealer sold the car they are involved in litigation.

Do you want this for a few extra ponies? I don't think so.

BTW, on the street, you probably won't notice any difference anyway.
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:47 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Mitch exactly what I was afraid of Thanks for the confirmatory story I am likely not going to do it. These supposed "chips" make me nervous, but I can tell you, man, my bud's 335 was amaxingly fast I believe he said he had it dyno'd at 390hp to the crank, something like 410 to the wheels Had great torque and pull range, HOWEVER, its only been in the car six months If something were to go awry, and it tweaked the engine as you mentioned, he's going to be sorry. The site is www.upsolute.com
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:51 AM
seefouress
Instructor

Although I haven't chipped my car (a 997 GT3), I would not expect anywhere near the results from a chip that your friend got on the 335i. The 335i (my daily driver) has a twin turbo six. You get far greater performance increases from remapping a turbo engined car than you will with a normally aspirated one.
Old 12-28-2007 | 11:40 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by seefouress
Although I haven't chipped my car (a 997 GT3), I would not expect anywhere near the results from a chip that your friend got on the 335i. The 335i (my daily driver) has a twin turbo six. You get far greater performance increases from remapping a turbo engined car than you will with a normally aspirated one.
A chip makes a huge difference with the turbo's I have one on my Allroad, and the car moves pretty good for a 5000lb beast. I had a chip in my first car, and it is difficult to say if it makes a difference, I am sure when you add the exhaust, it goes makes the gains a little higher.
Old 12-28-2007 | 11:43 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mitch236
I can tell you this much. Be very careful. If you "chip" the car in any way and have a major warrantee issue you will probably be out of luck. Let me give a true example:

A friend takes his 996 C-2 to a local dealer with the stock ECU (in fact, he had no idea the car was ever modified and neither did the dealer who sold the car as a CPO used car). It was determined that he needed a new engine. Now comes the Porsche service rep. He has a computer that even the dealer can't get. The rep doesn't allow the dealer's people see the computer or what he does. After less than 5 minutes, the rep infoms the dealer that the warrantee is void, that the car has been modified. Friend has to pay. Now because the dealer sold the car they are involved in litigation.

Do you want this for a few extra ponies? I don't think so.

BTW, on the street, you probably won't notice any difference anyway.
I am surprised that this is happening, I have never heard of a computer that only the Service Rep can see a flashing. Is it possible the Porsche denied the claim for over revving the engine? I would expect that there are laws that protect consumers from manufactures just denying a claim and not providing sufficient evidence.
Old 12-28-2007 | 12:47 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edward_generation
I am surprised that this is happening, I have never heard of a computer that only the Service Rep can see a flashing. Is it possible the Porsche denied the claim for over revving the engine? I would expect that there are laws that protect consumers from manufactures just denying a claim and not providing sufficient evidence.
This is true which is why when we sold customers ECU flashes for newer cars still under warranty, we'd also sell them a switch box that enabled an immediate switch back to the stock ECU parameters otherwise, there could be the same warranty issues even if the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem. Most aftermarket tuners now offer this option.
Old 12-28-2007 | 03:17 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

This is only good for an "S" if you go and get a complete exhaust system as well. "Chipping" alone is not going to do much for you. I have Fabspeed headers, exhaust and free flow cats and Orton engine software and yes it made a very big difference. Not only in gains, but in throttle response and much better power curve. AND, it is unnoticeable by Porsche techs and safe from a reflash. Orton actually does a ton of work on new cars from Hennessey in Atlanta, as well as Jim Ellis where I purchased my car.
Old 12-28-2007 | 04:49 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skittlz74
This is only good for an "S" if you go and get a complete exhaust system as well. "Chipping" alone is not going to do much for you. I have Fabspeed headers, exhaust and free flow cats and Orton engine software and yes it made a very big difference. Not only in gains, but in throttle response and much better power curve. AND, it is unnoticeable by Porsche techs and safe from a reflash. Orton actually does a ton of work on new cars from Hennessey in Atlanta, as well as Jim Ellis where I purchased my car.
I understand that the APR chip also offers a chip that is undetectable. I have full exhaust and I am thinking about flashing my car.
Old 12-28-2007 | 05:46 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Call FVD. They might be able to help
Old 12-28-2007 | 05:59 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

i have never heard of a chip that could produce results that had more HP at the wheels than at the crank.
Old 12-28-2007 | 07:01 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Don't give up so quickly... Many dealers sell and install aftermarket software, such as Giac and Revo. My dealer recommends Revo strongly - in their opinion no impact on warranty. My dealer installed my AWE headers, cats, and mufflers and those made a significant difference on my C2S. My dealer also suggested Revo, which I purchased 6 months later and wow, what an improvement. Do a search and you'll find my comments on the Revo...
Old 12-28-2007 | 08:15 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by edward_generation
I would expect that there are laws that protect consumers from manufactures just denying a claim and not providing sufficient evidence.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - FEDERAL Law
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:19 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

I did GIAC after I have already installed tubi headers and exhaust and did not notice any power gains...if there were any, I could not notice them. But interestingly enough, I did notice that my mileage improve after the chip...
Old 12-28-2007 | 11:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with Ron. The Revo upgrade was recommended to me as well, and I was informed that if installed accurately would not produce any negative affects to thwart your warranty. I have had it for approximately two years now and I have not had any issues. My car had a dyno shortly there after and produced 380HP and 330 lb/ft on torque. I'm sure that some of the other mods I had done such as my headers and Evo upgrade contributed as well. The pull and power are very noticeable now throughout the RPM range. I enjoy driving my car more so now for the athleticism that my 997S has. Do some research and continue to ask questions. I think you will find that more 911 owners than you would think have enhanced their ECU's without a deleterious result.
Good luck.

Jay

Quick Reply: Have any of you guys "chipped" an S..