Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy their P-car in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy their P-car in Canada?

I'm currently looking into ordering a C4 (non-S). Lets say that the MSRP with a few options is about $110,000 CDN. With all these threads about what's a good deal and what isn't, does anyone know what would I realistically be looking at in terms of price?

This is all a little new to me as I've never bought a new car before. This would be an ordered car though and not one off the lot. I'm just looking for a ballpark here.

Any experiences from those who have bought in Canada would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
paul997
Advanced

Ordered at Downtown Porsche in Oct 2004 when the dollar was lower. Paid
$113,000 + taxes at that time for a nicely optioned base 911. Your dollar will go alot further now, however I am sure its still cheaper to buy a low kms unit in the states and bring it across. However if you want it optioned just so, then go ahead and order and become a waiter for the winter. I assume you will not have to pay PST in Alberta?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

How did your $113,000 + taxes compare to what the MSRP on the car was? Did you buy it off the lot?

And yes, you are correct, no PST here and GST is going down to 5% next year which is nice too.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

My '05 was ordered in Dec. 2004 from Pfaff in Toronto. Dollar was not as good as it is now.

GT3 was bought in the US in July of '07. Couldn't argue with the savings although it was used.

You'd have to do the math to see if the savings are worth the effort to import a US car:
- shipping or flight etc. to drive it back
- RIV fee
- Daytime Running Lights
- 6.1% duty

Check out the Canadian fourm and do a search. This topic has been very well discussed.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
- Daytime Running Lights
On a 997 with Sport Chrono the DRL's can be turned on from the PCM. No need to pay some one to do it!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by edward_generation
On a 997 with Sport Chrono the DRL's can be turned on from the PCM. No need to pay some one to do it!
Gotta have Sport Chrono though. Otherwise it's a cost that must be incurred.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Gotta have Sport Chrono though. Otherwise it's a cost that must be incurred.
You are 100% correct. I have purchased two 2006 997C2S from the USA, the last one with 7000 miles (11KM) for just over $80 Cdn.

I would not hesitate to buy from the USA again, local dealer is not very eager to try and sell me a car.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Quattro Libre
Advanced

My question is more to those who have bought one in Canada though. I realize that money can be saved by buying the car in the US as I actually imported my TT that I currently have from the US but was really just curious what kind of deals (if any) those who purchased their cars in Canada were getting.

Thanks for the responses thus far.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Porsche Canada has reduced the price by roughly 10% on new cars

and I would assume that the discounts on the cars would be similar to what the US dealers are giving. I never even got to the numbers part of the car, as I said dealer never really wanted to sell me a car.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Just curious; does not Porsche adjust their margins for the difference in GDP (or some economic benchmark..) to maintain market penetration? When I bought a Mercedes in T.O. to bring back into the States five years ago; a nearly identical package was priced lower in Canada vs. US. (setting aside the $CDN/$USD spread)

....or maybe we're the ones they're going to have to adjust for?!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wetstuff
Just curious; does not Porsche adjust their margins for the difference in GDP (or some economic benchmark..) to maintain market penetration? When I bought a Mercedes in T.O. to bring back into the States five years ago; a nearly identical package was priced lower in Canada vs. US. (setting aside the $CDN/$USD spread)

....or maybe we're the ones they're going to have to adjust for?!
5 years ago the Canadian Dollar was worth 62 cents US, now the Canadian dollar is stronger then the US dollar, 1 Dollar Canadian will get you 1.02 us. The car manufactures are still pricing there cars a lot higher in Canada then the US, even thought companies like PCNA control the cars in both Canada and the USA. The North American manufactures are offering massive incentives on there cars to Canadian consumers.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Tangopop
1st Gear

I purchased a new 2006 C4 in Calgary in June of this year. The car was leftover from that model year and the dealership was motivated to move it with 2008s arriving soon. I got a more than reasonable deal from South Centre. The price I paid was within a couple of thousand of what a similar car would have cost had I brought it in from the US. Of course this car had no miles and a full 4 year warrantly which was worth the difference to me. Also at the time that I did by it the Canadian dollar was still 5 points or more below par.

A few years ago I had an opportunity to buy a new 2003 C2 at Norden Autohaus in Edmonton for the price of the base car, options free. If I remember correctly the list was around 120k and I could have picked it up for 101k or so. This was offered to me, I didn't have to negotiate that price. This was in early spring (April) so again they wanted to move the car before more cars came in to the dealership.

The dealerships will move on the price, you just have to be patient and shop at the right time of year.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Quick Reply: Anyone buy their P-car in Canada?