Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger airbag light? (safety concern)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
mostolf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger airbag light? (safety concern)

(Tried searching the forum and the manual in vain....)

I am really concerned about the status of my passenger airbag. Often, the little "passenger airbag off" light on the center console is lit, but only dimly. Is this something that is always lit in this dim way, or does this mean the airbag is off?! I thought maybe it would be lit brightly if the airbag is off.

I have the manual and a quart of oil living behind the passenger seat (which is pretty far back). I have read some posts that these may be the culprit, but that seems odd.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 163 Posts

Unless the passenger's seat is occupied by someone weighing more than 60 (I think) pounds the "Passenger Airbag Off" light should be illuminated. Meaning...it will not deploy in an accident since there is no one there to protect.
It won't fire off if you have a child (or child seat) in the passenger's seat...since the airbag could injure them, thus, the weight restriction.
As far as the "brightness" of the indicator light, mine seems to be fairly visible (not exactly dim) all the time, maybe just a bit too bright at night...if that helps. When you're driving solo, the light should be on all the time.
I don't think having a quart of oil behind the passenger's seat should mess anything up...that is until it starts leaking .
Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Leader
Unless the passenger's seat is occupied by someone weighing more than 60 (I think) pounds the "Passenger Airbag Off" light should be illuminated.
I think if there is nothing in the seat the light stays off. If you have anything more than a few pounds upto the designated weight (60-80 Lbs ?) the light should be on and noticeably. Mine is very bright.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

When you're driving solo, the light should be on all the time.
In my current and in my last 997, the light was always completely off, unless I had groceries or a really skinny girlfriend in the passenger seat.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
mostolf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mostolf
(Tried searching the forum and the manual in vain....)

I am really concerned about the status of my passenger airbag. Often, the little "passenger airbag off" light on the center console is lit, but only dimly. Is this something that is always lit in this dim way, or does this mean the airbag is off?! I thought maybe it would be lit brightly if the airbag is off.

I have the manual and a quart of oil living behind the passenger seat (which is pretty far back). I have read some posts that these may be the culprit, but that seems odd.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
To clarify, my above situation is with someone over 100lbs in passenger seat. Need to check when the passenger seat is empty. This is a 2007 997S if that matters. Very concerning.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll keep a look out for more.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rfedele
I think if there is nothing in the seat the light stays off. If you have anything more than a few pounds upto the designated weight (60-80 Lbs ?) the light should be on and noticeably. Mine is very bright.
This is correct.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 163 Posts

I stand (or sit, actually) corrected.
My 2K6 C2S "passenger airbag off" light does not shine when the seat is empty.
It lights briefly upon starting the car, then goes off.
But, it flashes on and off and back on again when my 62 lb. dog rides shotgun.
His weight must be right on the edge of the "sensitivity" level.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw one other possibility at you- I once had a problem with that light coming on, and took it to the dealer because it was annoying me. It turns out that I had a pair of hiking boots behind the passenger seat, and these were pressing some sensor in the seat which disabled the airbag and caused that light to come on. So- is there anything behind the passenger seat?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
Just to throw one other possibility at you- I once had a problem with that light coming on, and took it to the dealer because it was annoying me. It turns out that I had a pair of hiking boots behind the passenger seat, and these were pressing some sensor in the seat which disabled the airbag and caused that light to come on. So- is there anything behind the passenger seat?
In his initial post he said his car manual and a quart of oil were behind the seat. That could be the problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

I have found that it comes on when there is something light weight on the seat. It comes on when I stuff my golf clubs on the passenger compartment. It also came on last week when I was bring a box labeled 25lbs. home. Must be some sort of smart airbag system.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
In his initial post he said his car manual and a quart of oil were behind the seat. That could be the problem.
I am embarrassed. How did I miss that line?

Yes this could be the problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe you should pull that stuff out from under the seat and see what happens????? Probably easier to try that than post here...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM
mostolf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JW911
Maybe you should pull that stuff out from under the seat and see what happens????? Probably easier to try that than post here...
Thanks. Tried it once, but not for an extended period and not through a start/top cycle of the engine. Will try again a bit more carefully to see exactly what causes what light status.

What initially prompted me to post is that I have 3 stages of light status and I want to know what the difference is between dimly lit and brightly lit. I thought I only saw the brightly lit on start-up, but will double check. If dimly lit does not equal airbag off, then I'm fine leaving the manual/oil back there. So I was asking what the deal is between dimly and brightly lit.

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag light? (safety concern)