Sponsored by:

Recommendations on Aero Kit and painter/installer SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
steveyc
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on Aero Kit and painter/installer SF Bay Area

Hi all, long time reader but first time poster. First I want to say, appreciate the forum and everyone included whom has provided me an incredible amount of information (and entertainment) in the purchase of my 997 S.

Now time to get a bit serious. As I was off for my Monday morning commute here in the SF Bay Area, looking around the rear of the car, I noticed a golf ball sized dent, on what appears to be just my rear deck lid with a slight scuffing on the rear bumper underneath (I should be able to wax this clean).

As the damage is higher up on the rear I am assuming it was some truck or SUV that must of backed into me when I was parked somewhere (could of been the Peet's or Fry's run I did over the weekend). So trying to keep myself calm and with a positive attitude, I am thinking of using this opportunity to upgrade and install the aero kit rear decklid.

Does anyone have any experiences, recommendations of where I should purchase (just the rear deck lid for now but front spoiler if pricing is right) and then have it painted & installed in the SF Bay Area. Trying to keep the price down as I have a fairly high deductable.

Appreciate the assistance in advance, and I will post pic's of the damage when I get home. Oh, I also did do a search but there was nothing trully concrete in this area. Thanks alot.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
andre5
Instructor

Check out Sharkwerks in Fremont @ www.sharkwerks.com.

They're a well respected Porsche tuner in the bay area.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Remember, this is an Aero "KIT". Porsche designed it with BOTH front AND rear spoilers. If I'm correct, they recommend that you must have the front end spoiler if you do the rear.

If you do go with the Aerokit, take off the original front lip spoiler, the one that will be painted to match your paint finish and purchase a GT3 lip. They are cheap, matt black and easy to take-off and on. You'll scrape the lower lip often no matter how careful you are, so expect these to be an expendable item.

Wish I did this before my original was damaged.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Remember, this is an Aero "KIT". Porsche designed it with BOTH front AND rear spoilers. If I'm correct, they recommend that you must have the front end spoiler if you do the rear.
The point is well taken, but as I mentioned in an earlier thread about wings, if it's good enough for Synergy to run just an aerokit wing and not the bumper on their race cars, it's good enough for me on a street/track car.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, this brings up a very interesting point of discussion. There is data out there about the amount of downforce generated by the "kit" on both front and rear. And one would assume that push would be significantly more with only a back wing. Thus, I am quite curious as to why Synergy would do this and if there were any suspension mods to counteract lack of a front spoiler. Or, is the marketing regarding the kit ..........just that.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You can see from the pics that this car with the missing front spoiler is MUCH lower than stock. And I'm sure additional suspension tweeks were done to balance the car.

The Aerokit was designed for stock riding height cars. For track, anything goes as long as you have time and other ways to test handling on a car.

Therefore, for stock street driven cars, I'd still go by what Porsche designed in a wind tunnel on the 997 for high-speed use. If you track it, then you could most likely remove the front, but then again, all Cup cars and such all have the front end nose of the Aerokit and spoiler. So, Porsche knows something with years of development, testing, wind tunnel tests, racing etc.

My vote goes to Porsche and they way they designed it. Synergy can do whatever they want with their track cars.

Deanski
Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Bay Area, I have been using Heyer Performance for all my P-car needs for years, my main reason is that I trust Tony Heyer (he is the shop owner). He is knowledge and straightforward. If something doesn't need, he will tell me and won't waste my money.

He can take care of it for you, and oversee the job himself.

Please feel free to call or see Tony (Mountain View, 650-962-0930, heyerperformance.com). And feel free to mention me (Alex with 07 Artic Silver 997S and 87 Diamond Blue 944 Turbo)

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
colonel
Advanced

I've asked Sunset Porsche about GT3 front and aerokit wing and they told me that they only get the kit as a whole (both front and wing together) from Porsche. They can't order the parts separately. However, I think you can buy the parts separately from Suncoast.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
steveyc
2nd Gear

Default Some pics, bite your lip

Some pics of my horror

Appreciate the feedback from everyone so far, its been very helpful. I would love to get the full aero kit but the pricing that I am seeing so far for OEM is way out of my budget, round 6k+ without paint and install (I'm just a PM trying to make my way here in the valley).

Anyone here know of or have experience with Prestige Body Kits. They seem to have good pricing for after market aero/body kits. http://www.prestigebodykits.com/prod...b661ec34df372c

Not sure about the quality and fitment though as compared to OEM. Thanks again for everyone's help and any additional info on purchase, paint and install is muched appreciated.
Attached Images     
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to see your car's damage. In my opinion I think the Carrera bodyline is beautiful as it is without any wings on the decklid.

If you would just want to repair the body, Mattews-Carlsen (I think it is Carlsen Porsche's dedicated bodyshop) at Palo Alto can take care of it for you. I don't know them too well, but Paul at there is a nice person to deal with.

http://mathewscarlsen.com/

With best regards,

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Aero Kit and painter/installer SF Bay Area