Sponsored by:

Solar Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar Battery Maintainer

Has anyone used a solar battery maintainer?

My "other" garage does not have power, so this is my only option unless I pull the battery out.

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Has anyone used a solar battery maintainer?

My "other" garage does not have power, so this is my only option unless I pull the battery out.

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Deanski
Here's my dilemma - if my car is never out of the garage, how would I charge the battery maintainer?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM
wetstuff
Pro

As soon as I saw Deanski's post, I thought; "Who the hell would leave one out that long?"

...But: why not run a wire out a window and place the solar collector on the roof? I know guys who use them for airplanes that seem to get flown less often than P's are driven in Winter.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

That's what I'm doing, leaving it outside on the roof. I'm sure the association will have a fit, but what the hell. I need to charge the darn thing during winter.

Deanski
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 916 Likes on 511 Posts

a battery tender draws very little current. you might try buying one of those portable battery pack jump starters which also have outlets to power accessories, charge it fully in your house, bring it to the garage and plug the tender into it, and see how long it lasts. maybe you can get a week out of it, then recharge it in your house.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Hang it on the side of the garage/barn. If on the roof that 18 inches of snow will impede it's ability to absorb solar radiation.... :-)
Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best thing to do is go on a boat forum like hunterowners.com. There is a wealth of information on solar there or any other sail boat sites. If all you want is to trickle your battery and maintain its charge ...then its pretty straight forward and companies like Westmarines can help you. They have complete units ready to use that are small. They also come with regulators and diodes that prevents the battery from discharging when its night time or no sunshine.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all,

Looking at several panels just for battery maintaining. Here's one that's weatherproof as well.

http://www.siliconsolar.com/12V-Sola...W-p-16678.html

It also has a 20' extension which is nice. I'll put it up on ridgeline or a bit over, and run the cable through the ridgeline cap.

I'll also have to search the forum on removing the battery just in case the association has a problem with the damn thing.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Solar Battery Maintainer