Sponsored by:

Driving in winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yell03
I wonder if I can get Turbo rims in 18", I love how they look on the car.

Howard
Here's where I got my wheels... mine are copies, not original, but I think they sell both. I went with Carrera III because I thought they'd be the easiest to clean - and I don't enjoy that task in warm weather so I knew I wouldn't in the cold!

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
Old 03-16-2008, 12:53 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously narrower width is better, but does dropping diameter from 18->19 for the winter set make a big difference aside from saving a bunch on the tires? I was planning on running my 19s this summer and putting winter tires on the stock rims and then going with 20s next spring for my summer set.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajag
Obviously narrower width is better, but does dropping diameter from 18->19 for the winter set make a big difference aside from saving a bunch on the tires? I was planning on running my 19s this summer and putting winter tires on the stock rims and then going with 20s next spring for my summer set.
Generally, the shorter the sidewall, the pricier the tire...
Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Generally, the shorter the sidewall, the pricier the tire...
I know, just wondering if the winter performance suffers as well with a short sidewall, all other things being equal.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Here's where I got my wheels... mine are copies, not original, but I think they sell both. I went with Carrera III because I thought they'd be the easiest to clean - and I don't enjoy that task in warm weather so I knew I wouldn't in the cold!

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
Thanks, I will check it out.

Most guys go to the 18" with not as low profile because it is more forgiving if you hit a pothole.

My 1st choice is to stick with my stock 19" rims, but I will cry if I destroy a pricey 19" Turbo rim.

Howard
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
drj9000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snow tires are essential, all season tires are actually 3 season tires. Once it gets below 5 degrees Celsius your summers or all seasons will get hard and lose traction even on dry pavement.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know, just wondering if the winter performance suffers as well with a short sidewall, all other things being equal.
Performance is definitely limited with winter tires in dry weather. I found out (almost the hard way) one winter during a dry, 55* day. If you can put 18" tires on, that's the best bet.

This thread had me do some research on Tire Rack - I found a package for the 997 C4S with 18" wheels (turbo twists lookalikes) and 235 fronts/265 rears.

Quick Reply: Driving in winter