Sponsored by:

Question for Denison Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for Denison Owners

I've been considering purchasing a Denison Ipod unit for C2S with Bose but without Cd Changer. I have a couple of questions. First, has anyone experienced any alternator whine? I know in the cars i've had that have had aftermarket stereo's i've always had alternator whine. I definately wouldn't want this with my 911. Second, Can i install this myself? I'm not that handy. My third question is does this requre the dealer to reset anything if you don't have a cd changer?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed a Dension Gateway 500 in my 2005 997S in March. I installed it in the trunck compartment near the NAV unit. The IPod is there as well since I use the PCM interface to control it. It acts as the CD Changer. So far I've had a Nano and a 30g IPod attached.

1) No alternater whine that I can detect.
2) If you're a DIY'r it's a pretty straightforward and simple install. No special tools are needed. Just basic eletrical and mechanical stuff. I'd say connecting the Dension to the existing fiber optic loop is the most critical part. I didn't have CD changer either so I simply tapped into the existing power harness (factory installed) for the Dension +12V power.
3) In my case nothing had to be reset or required a trip to the dealer. The Dension unit was recognized by the PCM and functioned properly once you go through the Dension documented procedure(s).

Depending on the F/W that's shipped w/ the Dension you might have to download and install the current offering (V2.05 I think)from the Dension support site. It's pretty much bug free now. Performs all the advertised functions, etc.

Search all the Porsche forums forDension Gateway 500 hints and tips.

Good Luck . .
Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have a cd changer and it was plugs and play. No whine noted either, I doubt that there could be one with an optical system.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPeter
I do not have a cd changer and it was plugs and play. No whine noted either, I doubt that there could be one with an optical system.
The MOST loop is fiber optic.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing I added was a Ground loop isolator from Radio Shack.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a CD changer on my 05 997S. When I first played my Roady 2 XM receiver through the Dension, I had quite a lot of whine. The Radio Shack isolator helped a lot so that I only notice it (faintly) if I have the XM turned off but still have the CD function selected on the radio.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken: there's a sh_tload of radio-frequency noise in today's cars. This is part of the reason that Porsche went with the MOST bus system - it really simplifies the RFI-related issues for the automaker. You might consider upgrading your analog connector between the Roady and the Dension - am I correct in assuming that it's a 1/8" stereo miniplug on both ends?

You surely don't have to spend a C-note on an analog cable, but something with a bit more noise rejection that the average $5 cable will reduce the whine drastically. If your Dension is mounted in the front boot, be really careful how you route the analog cable and you may be able to get by with a cheaper piece...

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Question for Denison Owners