Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Penny wise, pound foolish. FPSH adds more to the value of your car when you sell it (rightly or wrongly) than the additional costs - particularly as it's only once every 20K / 2 years. We are talking small change compared to the value of your car, less hassle, and someone who knows what they are doing and looking for when they check the car (the RMS story being a case in point). I agree no one cares for our cars like we do, but the next owner doesn't know you from Adam and will see you as a penny pincher and probable short cut taker and buy my 997 instead!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Winstondry
Got bad news when I picked up my car yesterday afternoon. They saw early signs of RMS failure. Since I didn't bring it in for that nor did I even mention it, they couldn't fix it. I was told to keep an eye on it and bring it back. I hadn't heard of RMS failure in the 997's. Bummer.
The RMS problem is well documented in every watercooled Porsche model except Cayenne, Carrera GT, 911 Turbo and 911 GT3. Every model year is affected, including the cars coming off the assembly line right now.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
timnitti
Intermediate

I'm kind of surprised to see people worrying about the cost of routine maintenance on the 997. Just had my first scheduled maintenance done ... about $300 bucks ... a month before 2 years were up. My Honda S2000 required oil change etc. every 3,000 miles or 6 months; typically Honda charged about $275 to $300 for this. So, on my Honda maintenance for 2 years was approx. $1,200 vs. $300 for the Porsche. Even if I decided to do the 997 every year instead of 2 years, it's still half the cost of maintaining the Honda. Besides, it's a $90k+ car ... if dropping $300 on routine servicing was bothering me what am I doing in a car that costs that much in the first place?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
The RMS problem is well documented in every watercooled Porsche model except Cayenne, Carrera GT, 911 Turbo and 911 GT3. Every model year is affected, including the cars coming off the assembly line right now.
You can scratch the 997 GT3 from the "except" list. A couple of the guys that own a 997 GT3 or GT3 RS have reported a RMS leak. One GT3 had 2 RMS leaks/replacements in the first 1,400 miles.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Acutally Porsche finally has the RMS situation much more under control, I have only had 1 9X7 come in with a RMS issue, and that was a 05, when they were switching to the new style seal. GT3 uses a different lower end than the regular cars, same as the turbo.

Mark
Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Beamer
Intermediate

Hi all.
Just had my 2 yr (20K) service costing me $700 and I even brought my own oil. According to the "Minor Maintenance Checklist," a road test was performed and signed by Jeff Lyons, technician. I wonder how he did this. I had 11,720 miles when I dropped off the car (I wrote this down prior) and had 11,720 miles when I picked it up. This got me wondering if the dealer performed all those items they checked on the checklist. When I got home, I checked the cabin air filter. Tried to remove it and noticed the sponge around the filter was somewhat sticking on the filter housing (I just left it alone when it started peeling). This tells me that they probably never changed it seeing that it was still clean (I hardly run the vent/AC in the winter and summer). Also, I notice a piece of grey paper-looking material draped over the filter. Should this be there? I wonder if this is the cause of the weak air flow coming out of the vents.

This whole experience is not what I was expecting. First impressions last. Thanks for reading my rant.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Beamer
Hi all.
Just had my 2 yr (20K) service costing me $700 and I even brought my own oil. According to the "Minor Maintenance Checklist," a road test was performed and signed by Jeff Lyons, technician. I wonder how he did this. I had 11,720 miles when I dropped off the car (I wrote this down prior) and had 11,720 miles when I picked it up. This got me wondering if the dealer performed all those items they checked on the checklist. When I got home, I checked the cabin air filter. Tried to remove it and noticed the sponge around the filter was somewhat sticking on the filter housing (I just left it alone when it started peeling). This tells me that they probably never changed it seeing that it was still clean (I hardly run the vent/AC in the winter and summer). Also, I notice a piece of grey paper-looking material draped over the filter. Should this be there? I wonder if this is the cause of the weak air flow coming out of the vents.

This whole experience is not what I was expecting. First impressions last. Thanks for reading my rant.

Which dealer?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beamer
Hi all.

If your pollen filter appeared clean, then trust me it was changed. They get REALLY nasty, even with low miles. And yes that grey foam piece is supposed to be there. Your dealer was probably busy and thats why no test drive, with such low mileage it may have been assumed that it was fine. Not saying its ok, just probably what happened. $700 for a 20k seems high with you supplying your own oil, but i see that service prices do vary from place to place.

Mark
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

The DC area has extraordinarily high hourly rates, whether for lobbyists, attorneys, doctors, or mechanics. Most shops and independents charge over $100 per hour. But yes, that still sounds high.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Today's "911" requires considerably less service than they used to. Having been driving these things since the 1970s I can tell you that little needs to be done. I am approaching 20,000 and the little "service coming up" thing has been flashing lately. What I will most likely do is change the oil and filter again (done at 10,000), replace the cabin filter, the air filter, and flush the brake fluid. I will do all the visual inspection stuff that the dealership will do, but I will feel better doing it myself as I don't have to worry about some guy dinging the doors, scratching the paint or leaving grease on the leather. No one will take better care of a car that yourself and if you have any automotive skills will be better off doing some of the really simple stuff yourself. Simply document the work you have done, and have the shop reset the computer so that it doesn't keep bothering you. $350 for such simple little things is nuts. Keep in mind that most $100,000 car owners today don't have (1) the time nor (2) the inclination to do anything that requires getting their hands dirty. The more you do yourself the more you will learn about your car and ward off issues down the road. I would be GREATLY shocked that you would need to have your brakes 'serviced' in any way,--you only have 13,000 miles on it. I will mic my calipers to see how they are doing and look at my pads. But to do more is not needed with so few miles.
That is excellent advice.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

Thanks guys for you comments and the info on the grey foam. The dealer is located really close to the airport.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

This is the kind of thread that keeps me in a PCAR. The maint on the F was just crazy. Have to admit that they do it the right way at Porsche!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by richc
Simply document the work you have done, and have the shop reset the computer so that it doesn't keep bothering you.
Wouldn't the dealer charge you 1 hr labor ($150) for this 5 min job? Is there any other way to turn this "Service Now" warning off?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I think the only way it can be turned off is if the dealer hooks up their porsche computer thing to it and resets it that way.
But i think that some dealers may have issues with doing that it they didnt service your car.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 6700 miles on mine and had the oil changed as its been a year. Cost was $150 and I got a discount for the PCA membership.
ChipAZ don't sweat the oil quality: Oil be it from oil sands or oil shales or just plain light or heavy sweet our sour is addressed at the refinery and heavy crudes have their applications as do light crudes, i.e. heating oil vs. motor oil.
I have a post on the 997 turbo forum you guys may be interested in re; water leak at the rear 1/4 windows.

Quick Reply: 997 maintenance