Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parallel Evolution article in Excellence - excellent read

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007 | 01:12 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Default Parallel Evolution article in Excellence - excellent read

very excellent article by Johannes Van Overbeek in the 12/07 Excellence issue comparing the 997 Flying Lizard GT3 RSR to the standard 997 GTR RS. highly recommend it.

imho, one of the best analyses by a racer breaking down the differences and complexities between track and street setups. From the advantages of a sequential gearbox in a track car (as excessive g forces in turns making it physically more difficult to concentrate on a tradition h-shift box) to the importance of tires (he endorses nitrogen to keep heat/pressure down and flying lizards's use of 'confidential' michelin tires) to the importance of true racing seats and belts in a track setup. all things we already know to a degree but Van Overbeek really lays it out in a way that's real and easy to understand. in the end, though, what was most surprising was how similar the RSR and RS were in terms of feel- Van Overbeek saying the RS feels as strong at its 8300 rpms redline as the RSR does at its 9000 rpm redline.

anyway, i really enjoyed this article.
Old 11-11-2007 | 03:38 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Sounds like a article comparing a full race car to a track setup car. I
always wanted to drive a car with a sequential shift box. Sounds
like it would be more like shifting a motorcycle. I watched some
in car camera, and it is real cool when the cars come into the braking
zone and the driver is slaming the box to drop gears. You
can not skip gears like you can in an h box.
Paul
Old 11-11-2007 | 04:51 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

actually, he was comparing to a bone-stock RS. in that comparison, he was explaining some of the components and rationales for the race car. in the end, he suggested some tweaks he would make to the RS if he were to track it, e.g, dial out understeer, etc.
Old 11-11-2007 | 10:19 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Now if I could only go back to Danbury Porsche and change my car with the black/orange GT3RS sitting in the showroom. That's one sick car!

Didn't know the next issue was out already. I'm still looking at the GT2 issue.

Thanks,

Deanski
Old 11-12-2007 | 03:34 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by Deanski
Now if I could only go back to Danbury Porsche and change my car with the black/orange GT3RS sitting in the showroom. That's one sick car!
ha. totally. i've seen that RS a couple times at danbury porsche. so far, i've successfully resisted the urge to check it out. each time i stop in there just to have a look, i end up buying a car.... ; )
Old 11-12-2007 | 10:03 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
ha. totally. i've seen that RS a couple times at danbury porsche. so far, i've successfully resisted the urge to check it out. each time i stop in there just to have a look, i end up buying a car.... ; )
Well, at least it would be a GT3RS! Not too shabby!!

So you too have seen that car sitting there, just begging for one of us to take her home. That's some car sitting there. I've heard they had offers, but turn them down as it does not match what they want to sell it for.

I also understand they will be getting a GT2 in!!! Now THAT I have to see.

I now have to pick up the latest issue of Exellence. Thanks for the heads-up.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Parallel Evolution article in Excellence - excellent read