Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount when ordering

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007 | 07:45 AM
Weave
Intermediate

Default Discount when ordering

Greetings, former 996 owner looking to purchase a 997. I typically like to avoid most of Porsche's options due to cost and am thinking about ordering a new car in order to manage spec and cost. I am a repeat customer at my local dealer having purchased a CPO 996 there a few years ago, salesman is still there. What kind of discount should I go for, again bearing in mind it will be low spec (e.g. floor mats on an "S", or maybe litronic, mats and rims on a C2)? There are 2 dealers in my city so there is some competition here (Atlanta).
Old 11-09-2007 | 09:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

I would think you should be able to get 5% to 7% discount on a "non-optioned" car. However, you may be able to get an existing car in the dealer's inventory with a few more options for the same or even lower dollar amount.

If you can find an '07 you should be able to get 9% to 11% of MSRP. Just something to think about. Surprisingly, a couple of guys recently posted that some dealers still have new '06 models in their inventory. If I were you, I would expand my search beyond Atlanta. Go to the Porsche web site and do the "Find a Dealer" option and search for dealers within 300 miles of your zip, or select dealers in the states near Georgia. Look at their new inventory, there are still some '07's to be had.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-09-2007 | 11:31 AM
Weave
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, 5-7% seems pretty strong. I had always understood that $2-3k was all you could get without really going to the mat for a bit more. I have searched and there is not much selection unless you go out of the region entirely (i.e 500 miles or so). Also, it seems that dealer stock "S's" are inevitably loaded down with at least $10k worth of options, many of questionable usefulness here like heated seats, and it would take a mother of a discount to get me close to where I want to be.

All the best
Old 11-09-2007 | 12:53 PM
MartyB
Racer

I went to Hennessey and Jim Ellis both in Atlanta the other day. Every time I do that I get a better feeling at Hennessey, but my father bought his Boxster from Jim Ellis. I won't speak badly of the folks at Jim Ellis, but the Hennessey sales staff I have spoken with seem to be more knowledgeable, very friendly and not pushy. I spoke with Bruce Pinder this week at Hennessey and he really knows the cars and has been selling them for a LONG time. He seemed like a no BS kind of guy - try him on his cell at (770) 855-4271 and just ask him what he would discount an ordered car. I KNOW you can do 5-7%, if not better, but you might have to get out of GA.
Old 11-09-2007 | 04:47 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

If nothing else works... try Brumos Porsche at Jacksonville Fl 5-7% discount on new order.
Old 11-09-2007 | 06:15 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weave
or maybe litronic, mats and rims on a C2?
Pretty much exactly what I got (I got the sport seats as well, non-electric-adjustable, thanks to RonCT's suggestion...you should consider them too, they're very good).

I got a little more than 7% off when I ordered last december.

I got it from Tom McAfee at Stevens Creek Porsche (San Jose, CA).

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2007 | 06:38 PM
nyca
Drifting

discounts aside - there has to be price increases coming from Porsche - have you seen the dollar/euro exchange rate?
Old 11-10-2007 | 07:37 PM
tstafford
Race Car

I suspect that gota911 is right. I'd recommend trying to negotiate hard on a car in inventory. This has always worked best for me. I was able to get about a 10% discount on a low options '08 C2S.
Old 11-10-2007 | 08:14 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the others. What benefit is it to buy a low option car for more than you'll pay for a new 2007 with options or even a low mileage 2006 w/CPO?
Old 11-11-2007 | 11:06 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I agree with the others. What benefit is it to buy a low option car for more than you'll pay for a new 2007 with options or even a low mileage 2006 w/CPO?
While a lower price is initially attractive, you have to figure in the value of the car after you take possession. Unless the initial outlay literally takes you beyond your means (and if that is the case, I wouldn't be shopping in this price range in the first place IMHO), the cars themselves depreciate on the order of 10% per year.

If you get an '07 @ $10K off, you are about in the same position as an '08 @ msrp. If you take an '06 for $10K off, you are probably better off with the '08 @ sticker.

This is not meant to be actuarily accurate, but the idea needs to be considered if the final cost is important to you. I went through this last summer, as I had 5% offered on in stock '07's but thought they needed to be closer to 10% just to make their cars more attractive than ordering an '08 for delivery just a few months later......

Or: They are car dealers. Whatever the price, their pricing will always be to maximize their advantage, not yours

Last edited by gary mermel; 11-11-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added "Cliff Notes" version
Old 11-11-2007 | 11:21 AM
marky522
Drifting

Call Leith Porsche 919-468-9511 ask for "Hall" in Porshce sales, he will get you the deal you are looking for.

Mark
Old 11-11-2007 | 05:55 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by gary mermel
If you get an '07 @ $10K off, you are about in the same position as an '08 @ msrp.
I understand what you are saying, but from a cost of ownership standpoint I disagree. The '08 is unchanged from the '07, the '07 will have the exact same warranty starting at the exact same time, and you are in a new car either way. With the '07, the dealer is absorbing the first year depreciation, which is likely the sharpest over the life of the car. With the '08 at MSRP you eat it. Assuming you will keep the car for several years, the difference in value between the models will level off and you will be somewhere between 5k - 10k to the good when you sell the car in my belief in you buy the '07. When you factor in the $1k plus price increase for '08 along with tighter allocations for '08 models, the difference becomes even more clear to me. If you compare a 5-7% discount on an '08 to a 10-12% discount on an '07, I think it becomes more of a wash.
Old 11-12-2007 | 04:59 AM
Weave
Intermediate

These are interesting thoughts and I have made similar calculations myself. There is no doubt in my mind that the lowest cost is a lightly used CPO car. Having said that, the special feeling of having ordered a car will not be there and I will likely tire of the car more quickly. Paying more is OK if value can be retained - a delicate calculation I agree especially with the facelift coming up. Lastly 2 more points:

- Not that many '07s available here, so choice is extremely limited
- Not worried about reduced allocations given the declining economic environment will knock some buyers out
Old 11-12-2007 | 09:27 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by MartyB
..but from a cost of ownership standpoint I disagree....'07 will have the exact same warranty .... If you compare a 5-7% discount on an '08 to a 10-12% discount on an '07, I think it becomes more of a wash.
No, we don't disagree. I contradicted myself, and was unclear. I shouid have said@$10K off the car is MORE attractive than an '08, and @ the $5K I was offered I would rather have the '08. As I said, not "actuarily" if that's a word, just throwing the concept at the wall to see what sticks

[QUOTE=gary mermel;4769521]If you get an '07 @ $10K off, you are about in the same position as an '08 @ msrp. If you take an '06 for $10K off, you are probably better off with the '08 @ sticker.

This is not meant to be actuarily accurate, ......I went through this last summer, as I had 5% offered on in stock '07's but thought they needed to be closer to 10% to make their cars more attractive than ordering an '08 for delivery just a few months later....../QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Discount when ordering