Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip 2nd gear default

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007 | 02:38 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Default Tip 2nd gear default

My wife just got her '08 Tiptronic Carrera S Cab. The default start position is second gear. Is there an easy way to change the default to first gear and to get the car to automatically downshift into 1st? I assume this has something to do with EPA gas mileage. Do the cars in Germany start in 1st or 2nd.

This confirmed why I like the 6 speed Turbo vs. anything with an automatic transmission.

Papa
Old 11-07-2007 | 01:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

It will start out in 1st gear in the Sport Mode after you have done some full throttle kick downs. Press the pedal to the floor...feel the button (extra detente) at the end of the travel? Make sure you press the pedal all the way down and press that button detente also. There are many many maps for the Tiptronic and it will drive much more sporty after you kick it down a few times and then drive aggressively.

I drive in manual mode all the time and shift on the steering wheel.
Old 11-07-2007 | 02:55 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
My car always starts in 2nd unless it is on
the driveway hill. With this being your wife's
car, just live with it and shift to 1st after
you start the car.
Paul
Old 11-07-2007 | 11:40 AM
Papa
Intermediate

I appreciate the help. I don't drive the car much as I have a 6 speed '07 Turbo coupe but it just bugs me. We live in Florida and with the evening weather getting better, it is nice to have the top down and enjoy the breeze. I was hoping for an easy software fix which is why I raised the question about Germany. Pat doesn't really care either way as she just loves the car and the lack of a clutch.

Papa
Old 11-07-2007 | 11:54 AM
pl
Drifting

just floor the gas, it will down shift to 1 before taking off.
Old 11-07-2007 | 02:15 PM
cesar
Racer

So you can't manually put it in 1st with the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel?

I had an acura TSX the other and when you were in tiptronic mode if you came to a stop it would automatically go to 1st. If it didn't, you could hit the paddle and put it there before you started off again.
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by cesar
So you can't manually put it in 1st with the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel?

I had an acura TSX the other and when you were in tiptronic mode if you came to a stop it would automatically go to 1st. If it didn't, you could hit the paddle and put it there before you started off again.
Yes as you are sitting at the stop light you can leave the car in auto and shift it to first with the tiptronic toggle button on the steering wheel and it will start out in 1st.

The Tiptronic in normal automatic drive mode will have a shift curve for the best fuel mileage. As you dirve more aggresivly it will shift faster and hold the rev's more. Put it in sport mode and start to drive more agressivly and it will shift even more sporty.

Quick Reply: Tip 2nd gear default