Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed PSE, Have a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 12:02 PM
jw1977
Pro

Default Just installed PSE, Have a few Questions

Friday I installed the PSE, just the mufflers, no electronics. So far, I really like the sound. One thing I'm surprised at is it is not that much louder iniside the car. Does this get louder as it gets more broke in? When i was researching the PSE i saw a few posts where people's wife's had complained that it was too loud, I don't see how anyone could think it was too loud unless it gets a lot louder. Does it?
Old 11-04-2007 | 12:05 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yes, in my experience the PSE continues to get louder over time.
Old 11-04-2007 | 01:17 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

I have the same experience you have jw...I have PSE on my 2000 and you can hear me coming from a 1/2 mile away. I just installed PSE on my 997 and it seems very quite. In fact, I have been thinking of taking it back to the dealer to ensure that it is "open" or "on." I installed it without the switch and am concerned that it is off.
Old 11-04-2007 | 01:41 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

it will get louder.
Old 11-04-2007 | 02:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It's a better option for the cabriolet owners. You can enjoy it more than the coupes which are fairly well sound sealed. If you have less than 5,000 miles on the car it will get louder over time. Skipping the electronics makes it impossible for you to do a quick comparison between having it selected and deselected. That would be more evidence.
Old 11-04-2007 | 02:35 PM
Tone
Racer

Installers/dealers I've spoken to say most cases of complaints of PSE being too loud are from cab owners -- rarely coupe owners. For this reason they push the full install w/ electronics for cabs.
Old 11-04-2007 | 02:53 PM
AP997S
Pro

997 Porsches have a great deal of factory sound deadening in the rear of the cabin and engine compartment. I for one really don't quite understand how some folks say it'll get louder in time. Mufflers don't have a 'break-in' period since it's a passive device.

I installed a 'used' PSE a few weeks ago w/ the electrical/vacuum lines. If you compare the 'quiet mode' to the 'loud mode' there is quite a difference. It certainly 'rumbles' my subterranian garage in the loud mode.

Try driving w/ the windows open to better hear the exhaust. It's quite different from stock 997 mufflers.

You might consider installing the vacuum solenoid and electrical control to appreciate the difference.

Originally Posted by jw1977
Friday I installed the PSE, just the mufflers, no electronics. So far, I really like the sound. One thing I'm surprised at is it is not that much louder iniside the car. Does this get louder as it gets more broke in? When i was researching the PSE i saw a few posts where people's wife's had complained that it was too loud, I don't see how anyone could think it was too loud unless it gets a lot louder. Does it?
Old 11-04-2007 | 04:56 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

you should also see a difference depending on the weather. The cold mornings are amazing when you start it up...deeper and louder!
Old 11-04-2007 | 05:14 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AP997S
997 Porsches have a great deal of factory sound deadening in the rear of the cabin and engine compartment. I for one really don't quite understand how some folks say it'll get louder in time. Mufflers don't have a 'break-in' period since it's a passive device.

I installed a 'used' PSE a few weeks ago w/ the electrical/vacuum lines. If you compare the 'quiet mode' to the 'loud mode' there is quite a difference. It certainly 'rumbles' my subterranian garage in the loud mode.

Try driving w/ the windows open to better hear the exhaust. It's quite different from stock 997 mufflers.

You might consider installing the vacuum solenoid and electrical control to appreciate the difference.
I agree with other posters on this subject. The sound from my PSE is louder and deeper after several thousand miles. Maybe there is no "break-in" for mufflers but something must be different to account for this change.
Old 11-04-2007 | 05:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I do not have the scientific explanation for it but I can guarantee you that the muffler gets louder over time and with miles. It is a change in the muffler, and not some other sound deadening or perception issue.
Old 11-04-2007 | 05:47 PM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I do not have the scientific explanation for it but I can guarantee you that the muffler gets louder over time and with miles. It is a change in the muffler, and not some other sound deadening or perception issue.
I too have no scientific data or explaination.

A 'typical' muffler has chambers, baffles and/or sound absorbing material (ie. fiberglass). I believe the 997 Porsche mufflers simply has a few 'tuned' chambers. I think when the PSE is the 'loud mode' it allows some exhaust to exit before it enters the major muffler chamber.

So why do some folks think it get louder w/ time or mileage? Maybe it clogs up a bit w/ carbon or the baffles or chambers breakdown allowing more unrestricted exhaust flow. Another possibility is that the driver is aging and his/her hearing is improving? Nah . . that can't be it because everyone knows hearing loss is a function of age.

Bottom line is that I really don't care why. I just love the deep growl and find it perfect for my sorry-*** hearing.

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:56 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

It may get a bit louder after a few thousand miles, but not much louder. Like I said before when people were talking about waking the neighbors at 3:00 am, Come on...It's a nice sounding exhaust system for the 997 plain and simple. It is not overly obnoxious.
Old 11-04-2007 | 07:00 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I too have no scientific data or explaination.

A 'typical' muffler has chambers, baffles and/or sound absorbing material (ie. fiberglass). I believe the 997 Porsche mufflers simply has a few 'tuned' chambers. I think when the PSE is the 'loud mode' it allows some exhaust to exit before it enters the major muffler chamber.

So why do some folks think it get louder w/ time or mileage? Maybe it clogs up a bit w/ carbon or the baffles or chambers breakdown allowing more unrestricted exhaust flow. Another possibility is that the driver is aging and his/her hearing is improving? Nah . . that can't be it because everyone knows hearing loss is a function of age.

Bottom line is that I really don't care why. I just love the deep growl and find it perfect for my sorry-*** hearing.

I have owned two different Porsches with sport exhaust. I am reporting on my own personal experiences, as confirmed by a few friends of mine. I am not hard of hearing, and I have no axe to grind or burning desire to "win." I can assure you, though, that both of my PSE have gotten appreciably louder with more miles.
Old 11-04-2007 | 07:47 PM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have owned two different Porsches with sport exhaust. I am reporting on my own personal experiences, as confirmed by a few friends of mine. I am not hard of hearing, and I have no axe to grind or burning desire to "win." I can assure you, though, that both of my PSE have gotten appreciably louder with more miles.
I don't believe there is a definitve technique or procedure to measure exhaust noise w/o a controlled environment (ie. anachoic chamber) so we'll never have objective answer to this 'debate'.

So enjoy the aural satisfaction and if it gets more satisfying w/ time or mileage that's just a bonus.

Old 11-04-2007 | 07:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I don't believe there is a definitve technique or procedure to measure exhaust noise w/o a controlled environment (ie. anachoic chamber) so we'll never have objective answer to this 'debate'.

So enjoy the aural satisfaction and if it gets more satisfying w/ time or mileage that's just a bonus.

I have used both cars in the same parking garages, and on the same commute over a period of years. The increase in db level is appreciable, although certainly not intolerable. It is mildly irksome that you seem to be suggesting that the noticeable change is due to some sort of psychological impact of enjoying the exhaust more over time. I assure you it is not.

One point of clarification: I am not saying that the PSE exhaust gets louder over time in a greater increment than the normal exhaust. It is very possible that all of the stock exhausts get louder over time. I can't comment on the normal exhaust simply because I have not owned one.

Also, the fact that a muffler is a passive device does not mean that it will not get louder over time. All mufflers "deteriorate" over time (if you prefer that phrase to "break-in"), which will cause them to get louder. Otherwise, you would never have to replace them.

Last edited by TD in DC; 11-04-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Just installed PSE, Have a few Questions