Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Club Coupe paint code or Touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
north#34
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Coupe paint code or Touch up paint?

Hello Rennlisters,

Club Coupe owner #34 piping up here.

After a year of so of exploring Rennlist in anonymity, I'm posting this thread in the hope that some of you have the paint code for Azzurro California blue.

I can't seem to control my desire to take the car out for the occasional track day or country drive and in the process I've collected a handful of chips that I'm thinking of touching up. Am I obsessing about this?

Regardless, the local dealer says it's a custom colour and has no information and neither does PCNA. I'm suspicious of this however, because in the November issue of Excellence they write about a guy who painted his Ruf Cayman in a variant of Azzuro California and the article impies that he used touch-up paint samples as a starting point when he decided on the colour?

Any information would be appreciated!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Call Eric at http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yup, Eric has it. IIRC, he has already painted some parts for some Club Coupe owners. Go to the link that jcnesq provided above ^ and then click on COLORS. You wil see Azzurro California Metallic listed.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by north#34
Hello Rennlisters,

Club Coupe owner #34 piping up here.

After a year of so of exploring Rennlist in anonymity, I'm posting this thread in the hope that some of you have the paint code for Azzurro California blue.

I can't seem to control my desire to take the car out for the occasional track day or country drive and in the process I've collected a handful of chips that I'm thinking of touching up. Am I obsessing about this?

Regardless, the local dealer says it's a custom colour and has no information and neither does PCNA. I'm suspicious of this however, because in the November issue of Excellence they write about a guy who painted his Ruf Cayman in a variant of Azzuro California and the article impies that he used touch-up paint samples as a starting point when he decided on the colour?

Any information would be appreciated!

Check under the gas filler flap. It will give you the "colour" code. (Post it here after you discover this).

My friend and neighbor ordered his Cayman S in Carrara White and had Alois Ruf mix the paint for him. He is calling it "Azzuro Santa Barbara" just to be a little different.

Your color is now a Porsche color,--check the color plate on the flap. I, too, didn't discover that either for over a year!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello #34,

If you end up ordering some touch-up paint, please send me a PM as I am interested also.

From #13
Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Spies Panel # 759681

Paint Code 3F3

Any high end shop should be able to pull it from that. The bigger problem is it's formulated using water based tints, not used in the US.

But we have plugs, door plugs, ignitions and other parts we shot with it last year.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Number 35 here - thank GOD for Clear Bra installed within hours of my Club Coupe coming home...

Azzuro Santa Barbara - that is a RUF color from last months Excellence Magazine....

Been waiting two years for touch up paint - I'm in if we can get someone to make some (water based) for us!

Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 PM
north#34
7th Gear

Thanks for your replies, especially Eric (Plug Guy) ... thanks for the paint info. I'll do some research over the winter and I'll keep you posted if I'm successful.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

my guess is, don't hold your breathe waiting for touch up paint. To my knowledge, there still isn't any for the Viollette-Chromaflair color that was on the Millennium Coupes (I owned one of those too) and likely won't be for Azurro California blue.

I don't worry about it and didn't clear bra mine (#2 of 50). I can tell you that Azurro California hides chips very well--I've got a chip high up on my hood that's been there since the car was about 2 months old and I have to hunt for it. Plus I have a few chips in the front bumper. No big deal.

I use a conventional bra for road trips (when most chips happen) that really helps minimize chipping. As for the rest, I've never found touch up paint terribly valuable on my Porsches any way.

If Porsche had harder clear coat, then touch up paint would be valuable (because you can build up the chip higher than the paint surface and wet sand it down smooth to be virtually invisible). But they don't, so when working with touch up paint on other colors, the best you can do is build it up very slowly and polish it when done. But you will see the spot about as bad as the original chip. So why bother with touch up paint, realizing that neither the hood (which is aluminum) nor the bumper can rust even if the chip is completely through the undercoat?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the paint code on the Glasurit website, listed as a 2004 Porsche -Azzuro California. Paint code is 3F3.

Paintscratch.com has added it to their site as a 2006 Porsche Color "Blue Metallic Clearcost" Code 3F3.

I just ordered it, so cannot say how it works yet.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello #34 from #48. Fun.

Eric from bumperplugs is the man.

Porsche puts out the standard touch up paint kit in Azzuro from e-partssales.com as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

We did quite a few ignition rosettes when the car was released...so if you guys want the ignition surround in body color, email me...I'm dealing.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I hate all you Club Coupe people.

j/k! (envy!)
Old 05-02-2008, 02:41 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update - my folks at my NEW Porsche dealer since I have the 911 in San Diego now (Pioneer Porsche) had some touch-up paint made for me FREE OF CHARGE - it was based on a Ferrari color and is a perfect match as I have used a little of it.

Pioneer Porsche - THOSE GUYS ROCK!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Good for you John. If I need any touch up to #13, I'll drive down to San Diego to visit you and the zoo...

Quick Reply: Club Coupe paint code or Touch up paint?