Sponsored by:

Penalty in NY for no front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
Sometimes, if you can hire a local lawyer who has come out of the D.A.'s office they can negotiate a better deal than what you can do for yourself. I know this from experience and I'm a lawyer.
Didn't work for a family member in Manhattan South TVB. We retained some traffic lawyer, and all he did was get continuance after continuance until finally my family member was found guilty (of running a red light). I'm an M&A and IP (transactional!) attorney, but heck, I could have done what this guy did and not charged my family member $350.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 408 Posts

NYC doesn't give actual "trials" for tickets - so there is no plea system.

good resource on NY speed law: http://www.speedlaw.net/

Last edited by nyca; 10-26-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
NYC doesn't give actual "trials" for tickets - so there is no plea system.

good resource on NY speed law: http://www.speedlaw.net/
NYC, Albany, Buffalo and I think certain other cities don't give you actual "trials" but instead, you get a hearing before the TVB. It's quite a scam -- the TVB Adminstrative Law Judges are required to maintain a certain conviction rate -- talk about justice not being blind!!

I remember reading a NY Bar Association report about this a long time ago, and how the system needs to be changed. But it makes a lot of money for the state and cities, so ... I doubt anything will ever change.

But this happened in Mamaroneck, isn't under the purview of the TVB. Of course, getting tickets in small towns in NY can have its own problems:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/09/26.../26courts.html
Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 408 Posts

Look at the bright side - if we lose our NY state licenses, we can get new ones by claiming we are illegal aliens.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The joy that is Pennsylvania - no front plate requirement!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I doubt they'll let you go with an equipment violation -- most plea bargains require the facts to be applicable to the plea bargain, and since speeding has no bearing on no front license plate, I'm guessing the best offer you're getting is 10 mph over.
i know for a fact mamaroneck will plea down to a seatbelt or equip violation if your not a serious repeat offender and are curitious the whole way through.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

once you plead not guilty and get a court date, you will go to court that morning and make sure your early. The officer will call your name and pull you out of the court room and things like "have you gotten any tickets since? have you learned to take it a little slower?" That point he will ask you if you would rather take a ticket on something that doesnt involve points like a seatbelt or equip violation, you will accept and go back into the court room. Then the judge will call your name and ask you if you accept the new, plead down charge, you will. Then you will go back out the court room doors and pay the clerk, or arrage payment options.

ive had several moving violations in village of mamaroneck all plead down.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the outcome....

It was at the Village of Mamaroneck court. I was offered a reduced charge of not wearing a seatbelt in lieu of the moving violation (which was actually for jumping a red light not speeding...I was using the generic 'speeding ticket' instead of 'moving violation'....I'm not native to these shores, sorry for any confusion).

Bottom line is that I managed to negotiate a reduced fine too. So I ended up with zero points and $55, rather than $130+ and 3 points. I guess I'm lucky as it could have been much worse,.... but it was still a waste of a morning for something that I believe I should not have been stopped for in the first place.

Thanks for all your advice, and especially RAKLAW for phoning me.

Cheers !
Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

so basicly, it went exactly like i posted above? hah. Mamowack pd is bad like that, make sure you brake for yellow lights and keep your brakes on till it turns green. If only they knew
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few front plate mounts left .
It consists of a machined aluminum bolt which threads into the
front tow hook receptacle and a heavy duty backplate to which the license plate is attached.

All parts are non rust aluminum, st.stl. and plastic and fit all 996 ,997 ,Boxters and Caymans.

A lot of guys have bought them and just keep them in the car in case they get pulled over or when the have to go for inspection .

They are $35 , shipping in US included .
Send me a message if interested .

Last edited by Rolf Stumberger; 03-17-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

lol, you did like i did. No front plate mounts are needed in this thread

Quick Reply: Penalty in NY for no front plate?