Sponsored by:

My greatest driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My greatest driving experience

I have attended the races at Sebring and Daytona since 1962. My two greatest desires have always been to drive on the tracks. In 1998 I got my chance at Sebring and have logged thousands of miles on the track working my way up to an instructor.

Daytona is another story. They stated that they would NEVER allow Porsche Club racing much less DE folks on the track. Well, I guess they needed the money and Rensport opened the track to Club racing several years ago. A club race was scheduled for this past weekend and then another Rensport was announced for 2 weeks later resulting in a lack of entries for the Club race and some golden tounged person talked them into opening up to DE. Not DE as we know it but very experienced instructors and well advanced solo drivers. About 53 of us paid the big bucks and attended.

And now the rest of the story. My first session was 25 min. I did not know that I could actually hold my breath that long! 31 degree banking and fast straights were very intimidating. My thoughts after the first lap, This is not for me! Way beyond my comfort level. No shifting on the banking, very rough track, dips at the tunnels and a flat fast infield. After several sessions I got the courage to shift on the banking a for the most part keep it floored. A good deal of the track is well over 120 mph and up to about 150 in my 997S on the front straight. I did not push it as I was learning the track but it took about 2 hours of track time to even feel semi comfortable.

This was an experience of a life time that some of you might be able to enjoy someday. There may be another chance as were good and had no problems and I would think that the track and the Club would allow this again. To prepare you must pratice holding your breath!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there as an observer (Fri, Sat, and Sun) and it was an amazing experience. Next activity is Daytona Reensport III!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds awesome my friend. Any chance that there is any video of this event so we could see what we were missing? Thanks again for sharing the experience.

Jay
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Page, I bet it was awesome! My goal is to do the same now that I'm solo and working my way up. However my goal is to sell or trade in my 9972 Cabriolet for a Coupe so that I can attend DE's at Daytona.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
golden tounged person talked them into opening up to DE. Not DE as we know it but very experienced instructors and well advanced solo drivers. About 53 of us paid the big bucks and attended.
Sounds amazing; you must've had an amazing experience.

I'm a multi-year solo driver with Suncoast PCA, and I've been invited to the annual instructors' school a few times - how would I get an invite to an event like this? Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you can't" kinds of things?

Looking forward to Rennsport in a few weeks!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an email sent about the event. Make sure you are on the list with Suncoast Region. You did not have to be an instructor but and advanced solo driver to attend.

I am not aware of anyone who had a video but I am sure someone did.

You were required to have the SA helmet and not the M. Your tires had to have the proper rating, mine did, so I can not tell you what that was.

Quick Reply: My greatest driving experience