Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuff behind passenger seat can cause "passenger airbag disabled" light to come on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuff behind passenger seat can cause "passenger airbag disabled" light to come on.

I'm just putting this down for the record. These past few weeks the "passenger airbag disabled" light came up a few times. Then the car gave me a warning to check the passenger airbag setting or something (can't remember exact words). Since I was taking the car in to fix the cupholder (which broke on delivery), I asked the dealer to look at this.

It turns out that I had a pair of hiking boots on the floor behind the passenger seat, and the passenger seat was backed up to put pressure on the boots. This triggered a sensor in the seat which disabled the airbag (or something like that). Very strange. Anyway, I thought I'd mention this in case someone else has this issue.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Weasel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue a few months ago when I placed a bath towel in the rear passenger side footwell. The day before I'd planned to return to the dealership for repair, I figured it out -- just in time to keep me from wasting an afternoon and feeling like an idiot.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 AM

Shouldn't the psngr airbag be off if no one is sitting there?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Shouldn't the psngr airbag be off if no one is sitting there?
Yes, but in my case the PCM was sending me an error message to check the passenger airbag setting, complete with the red exclamation point lighting up in the center instrument dial. The threshold weight is 85 pounds, according to the person at the dealer.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the items put up pressure on the rear sensors -lbs and down on the front sensors +lbs so it knows theres noone in the seat yet something is not right

very common on boxsters/caymans

Quick Reply: Stuff behind passenger seat can cause "passenger airbag disabled" light to come on.