Sponsored by:

997 RADIO VOLUME

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 AM
SILVER FOX
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 997 RADIO VOLUME

My 2006 997S Cab has a Bose High End radio with automatic noise-sensitive volume control. I have owned the car for almost two years since new and this variable volume feature has never worked. First, the dealer used their PIWIS computer to turn up the variablilty and told me it was fixed, but it didn't do anything. Then, six months later, they replaced the amplifier, because it registered over 60,000 fault codes - again, nothing. After waiting another three months for the dealer to get further technical assistance from Porsche, I threw a fit when I was told that there was nothing else that could be done. Only then did they came up with an approach that actually makes sense to me: The microphone that picks up driving noise which then effects the variable radio volume may be broken. This microphone apparently is not monitored by a sensor, therefore no fault would ever register on PIWIS. This microphone is now on backorder from Germany and I hope it will get here within the next six months. I'm posting this FYI, and to see, if anyone else has experienced this problem and discovered a solution. Thanks for any constructive feedback.

Replacing the microphone did not help either. Luckily, the tenacious mechanics at Bill Pierce Porsche in Reno, NV then took an amplifier out of a new car and installed it in my car and suddenly everthing worked. They explained that the software for the amplifier was not working in my car. They then reinstalled my amp, updated the software and everything works now. The gain in volume under noisy conditions is still not good enough; it may have been designed for a coupe, but is not enough for a cabrio. It makes me long for the olden days where the driver could control this adjustment himself without having to hook the car up to PIWIS. A classic case of unnecessary over-engineering.

Last edited by SILVER FOX; 03-08-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that explains why it only works for me when my top is down.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If it's taken them this long to look into one of the key components of the system, they don't appear to be very competent. Be thankful you don't have an engine problem for them to troubleshoot!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Microphone? I always thought it was speed sensitive.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another interesting problem (or bug?) that I found was:

My 997S Coupe has the "Bose" & "Nav" & "PCM Phone Module" options.

One time when I was driving with my CD music playing, and my Nav navigating; a phone call came in to the PCM Phone Module. (I know... it was at night, the freeway had no traffic, and I was curising slowly)

I used the steering column stalk to accept the phone call. The car automatically lowered the volum of the CD music for my phone conversation.

In the middle of my phone conversation, the Nav's voice kicked-in and prompted me for the next exit.

After I finished the call and the cabin was all quite, the CD music wouldn't return to the normal loudness level. On the other hand, the Nav voice became extremely loud that I couldn't bear.

I tried the volume ****, but it seemed even if I turned the **** all the way up, the CD Music was still supressed to very low volume level. On the other hand, even if I turned the **** all the way down, the Nav voice was still enhanced to very loud volumne level.

Until, I went to the PCM sub-screen to uncheck the Auto-Volume Sensing option, and to check it again. Everything returned to normal.

I was not sure, but it seemed the built-in microphone on the steering column was confused while all three voices (Music, Nav Voice, Phone Conversation) were on at the same time, and mis-controlled the volumes of them afterward...?

Did anyone experience the similar problem?

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine works, but unfortunately it adds way too much bass when the sunroof is open, or windows are down, or just when up to speed. I usually have mine turned off.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Both my RS and my C2S get confused around certain parts around Boston. I can be listening to a CD and the radio jumps in with a channel that is not programmed into memory. Happens in two areas, affects both cars.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
997fanatic
1st Gear

I have the same problem. My radio volume does not go up as speed or noise increases. I visited my dealer and they said they swapped out the entire pcm unit, but it still isn't fixed. If its the microphone let me know....because i thought it was speed sensitive too.

Quick Reply: 997 RADIO VOLUME