Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When supercharging, does it matter if a car has x51 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
That is why the Ruf is so expensive as they tear into the shortblock with a piston change. Also I don't think the 997 motors use a forged piston but a cast hyperutectic piston which will also limit the amount of boost you can run through these things. With Ruf they solve this problem by going with a better low compression piston.

Dave
They just use a headgasket to lower the compression, there are no internal changes.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Old wives tale really? Than who boosts high comp. engines other than these small tuning companies?? I haven't seen any car company do it. What about warranties, who will warranty a boosted high compression motor?, Not Porsche. Hey if it ain't boosted from the factory than I don't want it and I don't trust it. But thats just me.
There are plenty of high compression superchargers in the marketplace, just take a look at the E46 M3 supercharger market, or the S2000, or even 350z.

It is pretty obvious why the carrera S isn't supercharged from the factory, porsche has a rigid hierarchy in their models. Superchargers are for those who want more than the factory offers, just because porsche doesn't do it from the factory doesn't mean it can't be done correctly.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sticky
They just use a headgasket to lower the compression, there are no internal changes.
Are you kidding me...for that kind of money and they did a bandaid fix like that. Unreal..sorry...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Are you kidding me...for that kind of money and they did a bandaid fix like that. Unreal..sorry...
Actually, Ruf does more than any of the other aftermarket supercharger kits - probably one of the reasons for the cost.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Actually, Ruf does more than any of the other aftermarket supercharger kits - probably one of the reasons for the cost.
So a 400 dollar head gasket and less horsepower through the powerband is worth a 10k premium over the other kits?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is using a thicker head gasket to lower compression is not the right way to do this. Maybe at the boost levels that they are running you can be OK but heaven help you if you turn up the wick a tad (more boost).

You look at manafactuers that use a huffer as OEM what goes into those motors. Even Ford with the 03-04 Mustang SVT and now the 07 Shelby GT 500 use forged pistons and Manley forged rods (Mahle for the Shelby) and a nodular crank. I guess the Ruf way is better than not doing anything as far as the compression ratio is concerned.

Dave
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Metal headgaskets have been used for 50+ years to lower compression in an engine. Properly designed and installed, they are perminent and without weakness. Why would anyone either replace pistons and/or rods or install new heads when a gasket is just as good unless the engine was already torn down?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

So a 400 dollar head gasket and less horsepower through the powerband is worth a 10k premium over the other kits?
And a warranty.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure you can supercharge an X51, as long as it belongs to somebody else. Even supercharging a regular 3.8L is not recommended. You know that old saying, a fool and his money are easily parted.

It would be cheaper (and offer greater peace of mind to most) to buy a variant of the Turbo, the real experts (Porsche) have already done the work for you and will be around to stand behind the warranty.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Sure you can supercharge an X51, as long as it belongs to somebody else. Even supercharging a regular 3.8L is not recommended. You know that old saying, a fool and his money are easily parted.

It would be cheaper (and offer greater peace of mind to most) to buy a variant of the Turbo, the real experts (Porsche) have already done the work for you and will be around to stand behind the warranty.

Caveat Emptor!
+1 what Colm said.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colm

Caveat Emptor!
I don't think debating if supercharging or not was the idea. The idea as I had understood was whether supercharging an x51 would be an issue. All of us, including yourself, know there is a 997 turbo. We all know that chipping a turbo + exhaust will add more performance than a supercharged 997 can achieve.

We all understand that NA the 997 GT3 is the car to buy if the goal is naturally aspirated horsepower. That vehicle produces over 100 WHEEL hp per liter. I realize a 997 S will never be able to achieve that.

What I don't understand is why people continue to think the standard 997 and 997s owners dont get it. The aftermarket for these vehicles is just as viable as it is for turbos. If not more so, as there are plenty more 997 and 997s's sold. Supercharged 997 owners are performance enthusiasts just as turbo or GT3 or whatever else owners. Hardly fools who don't know what to do with their money.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

And a warranty.
Have yet to hear of a vf-engineering/evo car blowing its motor and the company abandoning them. I have heard plenty of happy owners though.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Metal headgaskets have been used for 50+ years to lower compression in an engine. Properly designed and installed, they are perminent and without weakness. Why would anyone either replace pistons and/or rods or install new heads when a gasket is just as good unless the engine was already torn down?
So is the RUF kit worth substantially more money than the other kits?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:53 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So is the RUF kit worth substantially more money than the other kits?

Don't know an don't care. If I had to guess, you are paying a premium for the name and warranty. It is also more costly than the others as you have to remove the heads.

Why do people buy a Rolex when a $29.95 Timex gives you the same performance?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Have yet to hear of a vf-engineering/evo car blowing its motor and the company abandoning them. I have heard plenty of happy owners though.
True...but then again I've read alot of posts where EVO owners have ecu issues - maybe becasue the installed base is larger?

Quick Reply: When supercharging, does it matter if a car has x51 or not?