Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroofs v. cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely loved my convertible, but nevertheless ordered a coupe this time. The main problem was the Louisiana heat... it was really getting too hot most of the time. And I HATED driving around with my top closed. So while I don't have any sunroof experiences just yet, my plan is that if I miss the convertible feeling, I'll get a Beetle cab next year for those evening and night hours.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

There is no comparison IMHO. The cab provides the true sports car experience Porsce had originally intended. Buy a sedan if you want the hardtop version.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Cool Coupe vs. cab

I have owned a 2001 Boxster S since new in Oct. 2000 and while I have enjoyed it immensely I am done with the convertible experience. Too damn hot in summer and too damned cold in winter. There are about 8-10 weeks out of the year that I can actually enjoy the top down experience on a two lane twisty road through the country. I hate driving top down in the city: the fumes are gagging and I end up coughing for a few hours afterwards. My next car: 2009 Carrera C2S COUPE.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Love my morning hours (before 10am) drive with the top down. The sun (not the temperature) is the problem in the afternoon hours.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Porsche seems to have figured out (finally) how to keep the wind noise and buffeting to a minimum with the sunroof open, even at fairly high speeds. No need (or desire) for a cab here...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alternate view... I've had 2 convertibles over the last 20 years and didn't like either. Not because of the cars they were, but because of that sun beating down on my head, the strobe light effect of driving here in New England where there are trees everywhere, the loud nature of the car, the heaviness, the creaks, etc. Most of my other cars have had a sunroof, which I also don't like for many of the same reasons. The 997S was a disappointment in that I could not get a sunroof delete... When I drive, I focus on the road and the experience of driving. I don't think about the moon and stars, trees, sun above, etc.

As has been said before -- different strokes for different folks. I'm glad Porsche has a convertible for you and other fans, I just wish they had a sunroof delete for those of us that like coupes (especially us track guys).
Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
wetstuff
Pro

I couldn't wait to get metal over my head again after the Boxster. There's maybe 30 days annually here when the humidity is low enough to be comfortable sitting in a car. That from someone who spends about two days a week in the water Apr-Nov.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

The cab looks nice only with the top down. The coupe looks much better.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The one thing I don't like about owning a cab is driving with the top down during a sunny day. I try to avoid the sun's harmful UV rays as much as possible and so I seldom had the top down during the day when I owned mine. But here in So Cal, after the sun goes down it gets too cool to have the top down because of the low humidity. So I found owning a cab here to be not too practical for me, as absurd as that may sound.

In places like Vegas where it's still warm enough after the sun sets to enjoy open top driving or the midwest where the high humidity and high temps in the summer allows for enjoyable fun rides with the top down, this is where a cab would be nice to have.

As for sunroofs, I wish mine didn't have one. I never use mine for the above reason.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Love cabs, own a coupe. Would much rather not have a sunroof at all. Wish Porsche would offer a sunroof delete option.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always had coups but tempted by cabs - though unlikely to go that route

LOVE the sunroof. Nice way to change the environment, get some fresh air and also loved by my 5 year old in the back :-)

I enjoy the different perspectives on this thread as there's clearly no right or wrong answer. I think I read somewhere that Porsche sells more cabs than coups.... that says something....
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had 2 cabs. This last time around I thought seriously about a coupe. But something about driving with the top down in the early evening, or on a mountain road, or at the coast....
To me that is what I love about my Porsche. I'm sure I would have loved a coupe, just not as much as the Cab.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I love both coupes and cabs.
Cabs can be more fun for just casual driving.
Coupes are much better for track driving.
Coupes with the windows down and sunroof all the way open are very nice.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 45 Posts

no comparison . cab all the way .
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

If I'm in SoCal I would definitely consider a cab as the weather is nearly always great with low humidity and minimal rain. Also can be used year round.

Here in the midwest (where I am) a cab would not be worth having. I love seeing the people while driving home from work in their convertibles, etc. in the 95 degree heat with 92 percent humidity with the top down. I think they feel obligated to use the convertible top since they paid for it. In the midwest if your have the extra $$$ to spend your far better off putting it into X51 which you can enjoy during the 7 mos. of PCar driving weather. Else you could spend the $$$ on PCCB to save yourself an hour/wk washing off brake dust allowing more drive time. My wife has an Audi TT roadster and might put the top down 10% of the time she drives it and it is a fair weather car-stored from November through March.

Quick Reply: Sunroofs v. cabriolets