Sponsored by:

Consequences of using improper jack points

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

moved

Last edited by THPorsche; 09-11-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Here are my jack pads from Performance Products. They cost $29 each and are well worth it. They go in the hole of the jack points on the 997 and sit on the rubber pad. The car cannot move. Never damaged my Porsche with them.
For us guys with old knees, I like the pads with the oblong attaching point since I can place it in the hole of the jack point, twist a little and it stays put to slide the jack under.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I have a use for my old hockey pucks! I almost threw a bunch away last night.

As for the damage done...can you just go to sleep and pretend it never happened and maybe block it out of your memory?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
TripleInboard
Advanced

Originally Posted by 007GT3
Now I have a use for my old hockey pucks! I almost threw a bunch away last night.

As for the damage done...can you just go to sleep and pretend it never happened and maybe block it out of your memory?
LOL, I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately I always dwell on things until I can get them fixed.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

I bought one of these from Performance Products as well but haven't used yet. Dumb question; after using the pad (with a floor jack) at the jack point to get the tire off of the ground, where does one place a jack stand so the weight of the car at that corner is not supported by the jack?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Will look into jack points/hockey puck method next time I have to jack my 997 up. Am about to change my oil and filter so that migh be sooner than I had planned it seems. Timely post indeed.

Rob

Both the oil drain plug and the filter are within easy reach from the back of the car .
So unless your head is the size of a watermelon( lol) you don't have to jack up the car at all .
Old 12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Sorry to hear of your jacking mishap. I service my 997 on my lift. Every time I put it on the lift I always take care to make sure the lift pads( made of hard rubber) are always on the 4 jacking points. Performance Products sells a jack pad the fits in the hole of the factory Porsche jack points. I have them and I will take some pics when I get back to my warehouse tomorrow morning.
Nice setup! Can I come over and play?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Can anyone provide me with a link to or part # for the Performance Product jack pads? I can't seem to find them at all using their website search.

Thanks!
-pete
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by akrenz
I bought one of these from Performance Products as well but haven't used yet. Dumb question; after using the pad (with a floor jack) at the jack point to get the tire off of the ground, where does one place a jack stand so the weight of the car at that corner is not supported by the jack?
I never really had that problem since I place these jack pads on my lift. I never need to use jack stands.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Nice setup! Can I come over and play?
Sure.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Can anyone provide me with a link to or part # for the Performance Product jack pads? I can't seem to find them at all using their website search.

Thanks!
-pete
Part # is back at my warehouse. I'm home for the Holiday's. If I get down there tomorrow I will give you the part#. If not I will do it Wednesday.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks! No rush and have a Happy New Year!

-Pete
Old 12-30-2007, 02:04 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search on eBay for "Porsche Jack", you'll get several options including one that looks like the item mentioned above. I have the one sold by delubozparts (item # 300185272413 today, but of course that won't last as long as this thread). It looks good and works well on both our 997S and CaymanS.

p-cardriver
Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by akrenz
Jacking the cars and placing jack STANDS is a little tricky but you need to familiar with the process. As the cars are extremely stiff (see old photo--in it the car is supported by only two jack stands and another floor jack on the left--but this is until I placed the other stands) you can lift the entire side of a 997 with a floor jack. Since floor jacks should be considered TEMPORARY supports (as opposed to a jack stand for longer and better support) you can use the floor jack (with hockey pucks) beneath the rear suspension to get the rear of the car up enough to place a stand (with puck). How you jack your car is really driven by what you are trying to do. If you merely want to pull all 4 wheels off the car then what I do is to jack up the body of the car at the right rear jack point first, and place a jack stand on the right front jack support area, and then another jack stand on the rear suspension piece nearest the brake rotor. I then shift over to do the other side,--repeat the process. Jack from the rear jack point and place the stands on the front left jack stand position and on the rear suspension piece. If you're not confident in the placement of the rear stands then jack the vehicle up by the suspension point(s) and place the stands beneath the rear jacking points.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2007, 06:24 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dan, is it pretty stable with all the rear weight bias? Or do you have to be careful not to tip it over?

Quick Reply: Consequences of using improper jack points