Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding microphone used for Option 666 (devilish phone kit)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question regarding microphone used for Option 666 (devilish phone kit)

OK all of you electric mod gurus out there, please help me out with this.

At this point, I am leaning against installing option 666 and the nav kit into my club coupe. Rather, I bought a Tom Tom Go 720, a Denison GW with optional blue tooth hands free module (thanks Eric from Bumperplugs) and a Cayenne XM retrofit kit.

My question involves the microphone for the phone kit. The marketing materials for the phone kit say that the microphone is specifically designed to make the driver's voice very clear. If this is true, this potentially is a big advantage over the microphones with some aftermarket hands free kits. Also, I like the stock placement and invisibility. In any event, the installation instructions for the Porsche option 666 retrofit kit (#9155) says that the part number for the microphone is 997.646.307.01, and the installation instructions provide in relevant part as follows (my car has BOSE):

9. Install microphone, also see POSES, Workshop Manual, Group 9: 91 57 19.
9.1 Vehicles with BOSE Surround sound system (I No. 680) or Sound package plus (I No. 490) only:
Replace the installed microphone with the microphone from the retrofit kit.
9.2 Unscrew fastening screws for steering column trim panel and take off upper part of steering column trim panel.
9.3 Insert microphone into the upper part of the steering column trim panel and fasten microphone and connector.
9.4 Route the microphone wire harness: Steering column –> wiring duct –> PCM installation slot
9.5 Insert socket contacts of BU 0.352 wire and YE 0.352 wire from microphone wire harness (retrofit kit) into 20- pin connector C (PCM) (see Figure 017).

This raises the following questions:

1. Could I use order the Porsche microphone separately and use it with an aftermarket hands free kit and enjoy enhanced performance from a hidden microphone?

2. What is the microphone that comes preinstalled with the Bose for? Is it for sound/road noise adjustment? If I were to disconnect it, would it negatively impact performance of the Bose soundsystem? Could I leave it and just install extra stock Porsche microphone listed above in addition to the one that came with the Bose?

3. The microphone has only two wires. How could I verify that I could use the Porsche microphone with the Denison bluetooth kit?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:17 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer to question #2, I think Bose use the Microphone to monitor and compensate the vol level. The rest should ask Denison for compatibilty.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks, that is my assumption as well. Anyone know anything more about this?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Module for Phone PCM (666) and NAV, as factory installed options, in my 997S.

While I admit that the microphone does pickup my voice very well, I am not sure if it is worth the effort & money to retrofit the microphone in the car.

If it were my car, I would just get a 'nice' bluetooth headset instead. Clean and simple.

Just my thoughts,

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 AM
MHK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the option in my cab. With the top down and with windows up, I have perfect conversations with people on the other end of the phone. They say it sounds like I am on a typical speakerphone. I have to imagine the microphone works well as an integrated component to the entire phone system. I would be suspect to see if the microphone works as well with other systems.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks for the answers. If the microphone works well, I cannot see why it would not work well with another hands-free kit. Afterall, if the stock microphone is installed in the stock location, the the acoustic environment will remain unchanged and the microphone will remain unchanged. The exact same electrical signal will be generated by the stock microphone regardless of the device to which the signal is sent. All that remains to be seen is whether the signal is compatible with the denison bluetooth hands
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

I cannot imagine that the signal will not work with nearly any kit, but I do not have access to the necessary schematics to verify. Either someone who does can verify, or I will have to perform a $65 experiment. Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Just to update this, the impedence is wrong for the stock microphone so it does not work, at least with the Dension bluetooth kit. However, I just put the microphone that came with the Dension bluetooth kit into the slot where the stock microphone goes (on top of the steering column -- there are two grills on either side at the top -- one for phone microphone and one for ambient noise microphone). This works extremely well.

Quick Reply: Question regarding microphone used for Option 666 (devilish phone kit)