Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone hear use a rotary buffer on their 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007 | 01:27 PM
jw1977
Pro

Default Anyone hear use a rotary buffer on their 997

I'm considering switching from a orbital buffer to a rotary. I am worried about burning the paint. Anyone here have any experience with a rotary. Are they that dangerous?
Old 08-25-2007 | 03:39 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by jw1977
I'm considering switching from a orbital buffer to a rotary. I am worried about burning the paint. Anyone here have any experience with a rotary. Are they that dangerous?
Check out www.autopia.org. You'll get a lot of advice/info.
Old 08-25-2007 | 03:42 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Yes, they are that dangerous. If you're not already experienced with one, don't use it. Professionals don't use one until they've had lots of practice on spare practice panels.
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:17 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Stay away from rotary unless you want swirl marks. Random orbit is better, gear driven random orbit is best.
I had my dealer do a buff and puff to my former 997TT, Black. Their detailing department fakked it up real bad. They even buffed/smeared the clear bra at the edges. I would have been really ripped except I knew it was going to go.
Old 08-26-2007 | 11:24 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jw1977
Yes, I use a Makita on my 997, but then again, I have years of experience.

Porsche paint is very very soft to begin with. To use a rotary will remove too much of the finish if you do not have the correct pad and abrasives.

What you should use is a random orbital such as this one, which is a Porter-Cable that has been revised for the detailing trade.

http://ultimatedetailingmachine.com/

It's very user friendly, no chance of burning paint and with the right pads, will do work close to a rotary without the risk.

As always, work with the least abrasive level polish and polish pad first, then work up to more cutting polishes and pads if defects do not get removed.

I use Menzerna polishes or the new Optimum polish which also works very well.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 08-27-2007 | 12:16 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

I've been using the PC 7424. It's random orbital action is really incredible. It's fairly easy to use but practice on another car first to get used to the application. Make sure you get the right pad.

Quick Reply: Anyone hear use a rotary buffer on their 997