Sponsored by:

XM Radio connection alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb XM Radio connection alternative

The XM Skyfi3 comes with a "Sureconnect" adaptor that either directly contacts the antennas etched into the window or hooks onto the old-fashioned aerial antennas. However, I have found that the 997 FM antenna is embedded into the window, so direct contact is not possible. Therefore, I found a way to make a direct contact with the antenna wire on the Right side of the car... You can find the wire by looking under the plastic cover for the air filter on the right side of the trunk near the windshield. The cover is flimsy and held together with velcro, so it's easy to take off.

i exposed some of the wire under the insulation and clipped the adaptor right on it. I then wrapped it with plenty of electric tape to protect the raw metal from corrosion.

The wire hides easily under the rain guard and into the cabin through the passenger door hinge...

then I threaded it between the dash and console seam then into the device.

Personally, I think the FM modulator for Skyfi2 worked better, but with this direct connection, there is virtually no noise. I still do have to find a good clear frequency, however. The power comes from the passenger side plug, which is not switched by the key, so you have to remember to turn the thing off every time. Someone else posted a method of switching it via the fuse box, but I'm not sure if that's a DIY thing or not.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Jimmy
Old 08-23-2007, 02:37 AM
scott cairncross
6th Gear

The wire you are tied into is the gps or the phone antenna wire as the radio antenna wire is not under the front hood it is in the right pillar.....
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by scott cairncross
The wire you are tied into is the gps or the phone antenna wire as the radio antenna wire is not under the front hood it is in the right pillar.....
Oops I think you're right. I did a further search on the topic... but funny thing is it works anyway. Perhaps this creates a stronger FM signal? But Do not do this! there's better ways to do this on other threads.

Thanks.
Jimmy
Old 08-24-2007, 07:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr 997
Oops I think you're right. I did a further search on the topic... but funny thing is it works anyway. Perhaps this creates a stronger FM signal? But Do not do this! there's better ways to do this on other threads.

Thanks.
Jimmy
My radio is mounted in the same location, and I play it through the Dension audio input jacks. Had to add a noise isolator on the audio leads, which fits in the glove box.

Quick Reply: XM Radio connection alternative