Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for front license plate violation-Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Ahhhh . . . the blessed free state of Nevada. No front plate required if the manufacturer does not put a bracket on the car. I just can't find one on my GT3 !!!! And California can't do anything about it, not constitutionally anyway.
yeah......what he said.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
Sounds like a win-win - they can't see it, and you're legally parked - and you protect your car with a cover
Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 007GT3
I have a dream.

I dream of a world where someday all P-Car drivers will not be financially profiled.

I dream of a world where meter maids will not injure us with their hatred.

I dream of a world where policeman will not pull us over because our cars look "faster".

I dream of a world where State Troopers will instead focus on pulling over semi-trailers stuffed with illegal aliens, dirty bombs, leaking nuclear waste, and will instead let P-car drivers live in peace and harmony on open mountain roads.

I have a dream that one day ALL law enforcement officers will one day focus on rooting out and destroying terrorism, drug running, and violent crime instead of wasting time giving Porsche drivers tickets for not having a front license plate.

I have a dream.

Amen! And that now goes on my facebook profile, thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr 997
Sooooo
I parked on the street in the Marina District in San Francisco for lunch and when I returned, I saw a ticket wedged in the fender/hood seam (lazy bums!). I assume it is a parking ticket, but in fact it is a ticket for not displaying the front plate! Given by the Parking enforcement????? for $100 !!!.

I never knew meter maids can give tickets like that. Are they even part of the Police dept in San Francisco? They have their own dept, I think.

Anyway, it's a fix-it ticket that I'll either fight or pay-and-ignore. $100 not worth drilling holes in my car.

Jimmy
I believe this varies by county. When I got my ticket in Santa Clara County a few years ago I received the notice from traffic court. I had 2 choices.

I could pay the fine and not have proof of correction, meaning I did not have to put the plate on. The fine was I think $70 dollars.

Or, if I provided proof of correction, then the fine was $10. This means you put the plate and find a police officer to sign the back of the ticket. Then mail the ticket to traffic court with $10. In the old days when you had a fix-it ticket signed off there was no fine, but the government figured out another way to get money by charging $10.

I had thought that with all the speed cameras and stuff over the years it would be mandatory to provide proof of correction. I was supprised.

About a year ago I parked at a "pink" curb. When I was walking back to the car I saw a meter maid about 200 feet away punching away at that thiing they have that prints out tickets. No other car was near me, so I knew it was for me.

To this day I do not know why she was standing so far away from my car, but I have a guess.

I jumped in my car and took off. I expected her to take off after me, but she did not.

Got the ticket in the mail about 10 days later. I contested it and it was dismissed....
Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Back in 1991 I had a new Vette. I did not put the front plate on because the car looked better without it. I was going through a college town( New Brunswick) when a University cop pulled me over and issued me a ticket for no front License plate. I paid it, and from that day on put the front plates on all of my cars.

Last edited by MHC2S; 08-24-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
jaimesy
Advanced

Location: San Francisco, CA. '84 US 928S; Auto; RauchQuartzMetallic. 60K miles

This might seem like a stupid/naive question, but hopefully you folks can answer...
I bought my 928 with the front plate already missing. The back plate is an original Blue/yellow CA plate. So if I want to get a front plate too, Im assuming that I have to apply for new plates for both back and front? (dont want to do that, but studying my options).
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, we should apply for the replacement plate instead.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
jaimesy
Advanced

Location: San Francisco, CA. '84 US 928S; Auto; RauchQuartzMetallic. 60K miles

Hey Stephenkng, thanks for responding.
Im sorry I didnt explain my previous post properly...since I have the original blue/yellow rear plate from '84, I'd like to keep it that way. But if I request for replacement plates, they will be "current" year colors, which Im hoping to avoid.
I guess my question isnt really valid, since Im already assuming that I CANT replace that blue/yellow original plate - Im just fishing for any ideas out there that Ive never thought of.
And yes, Ive gotten a ticket for not having a front plate...arrgh!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaimesy
Hey Stephenkng, thanks for responding.
Im sorry I didnt explain my previous post properly...since I have the original blue/yellow rear plate from '84, I'd like to keep it that way. But if I request for replacement plates, they will be "current" year colors, which Im hoping to avoid.
I guess my question isnt really valid, since Im already assuming that I CANT replace that blue/yellow original plate - Im just fishing for any ideas out there that Ive never thought of.
And yes, Ive gotten a ticket for not having a front plate...arrgh!
If you need to get a plate just order one from one of those custom plate guys. Have them match your current one.(they can do the blue yellow) If the cops pull you over just say you didn't get one with the car. If they ticket you you'll have the copy one ready to put on.

These guy's will do it. Sorta pricey but I'll bet there are cheaper guy's out there.
http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/Repl...to%201983.html
Old 08-30-2007, 05:16 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

from DMV:

Obtain Duplicate or Substitute License Plates and Stickers
When Must I Replace My License Plates?
License plates and stickers must be replaced immediately when they are lost, stolen, mutilated, or have become illegible.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
smc
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I've been running without a front plate for a few months now waiting to see an alternative to the factory plate installation on the front bumper. I stumbled on this solution that's engineered for the C6 Corvette but will work pretty well for the 997.
The web site is www.topflightrepro.com and it's part number Removable Bracket P/N 0010003-1 . I think it looks good and was easy to install. Certainly the car looks better without the plate but I want to prevent the potential for tickets and stops by the Police as others have experienced. Let me know what you think.
I saw this plate posted on another thread. Looks interesting
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
In Boston, if you park on the street and your inspection sticker is overdue, they will ticket you for it. I also know someone who was ticketed for no front plate by a parking cop.
Expanding on this topic, a friend of mine got ticketed in Miami Beach for expired registration on her New York-registered car. Another New York friend routinely removes his front plate when he leaves NY state, and no out-of-state cop has ever complained. Just a couple data points.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr 997
Sooooo
I parked on the street in the Marina District in San Francisco for lunch and when I returned, I saw a ticket wedged in the fender/hood seam (lazy bums!). I assume it is a parking ticket, but in fact it is a ticket for not displaying the front plate! Given by the Parking enforcement????? for $100 !!!.

I never knew meter maids can give tickets like that. Are they even part of the Police dept in San Francisco? They have their own dept, I think.

Anyway, it's a fix-it ticket that I'll either fight or pay-and-ignore. $100 not worth drilling holes in my car.

Jimmy

That's steep. I got a ticket in the small Ohio town I grew up in for putting a car for sale on the street with no tags at all. It was $4.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

Default topflightpro license photo

Anyone have a pic of an installed "topflightpro" setup on the 997. Looks great on the Vette, and would imagine it would look great centered, rather than off center on the 997 especially those of us without the center radiator

Quick Reply: Ticket for front license plate violation-Warning!