Sponsored by:

Validation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 AM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Validation

Due to a tire issue on my GTI, I was forced to take my C4 on a work trip from Annapolis, MD to Morgantown, WV. The trip is about 250 miles, mostly through the mountains.

I was to leave late in the day, and the weather was calling for very hard rain. The trip would take about 4 hours, and it is normally a very fun ride. The road cuts through the mountains, and in many places you crest a hill, and the highway falls away either right or left, only to to turn back in the opposite direction half way down the long hill. Perfect fun. Not quite the thrill of Tail of the Dragon, but still a fun ride.

When I left it was fine, but around Frederick, MD the rain came down. And I mean it came down. Visibility was limited, and had it been night, it would have been really bad.

We all have our reasons for buying a 911, and I am sure mine are similar to many others. I thought the car was an iconic sports car, I loved the shape of the rear of the car, it handles so well, racing pedigree, etc.

As much fun as it is to drive in perfect conditions, I must say I had more fun on this drive than on any other occasion. What most folks would have found as treacherous, was just exhilarating. While I never drove much over the posted speed limits, 65 & 70, I was blowing past cars and SUV's alike. Luckily, the interstate was not busy at all. I could have pushed much harder, but the highway is not the place for that, so I kept myself in check.

The car felt glued to the road. My girlfriend, who enjoys speed, would have asked me to slow down for sure. Generally, cars were very slow, or pulling off the road, but to my utter amazement, the grip of the car was astounding. I never felt like I was pushing, or that the car was on the edge. Just grip, grip, and more grip. What a thrilling drive, in a driving storm no less. For those of you who keep the cars inside during the weather, i would advocate that you jump in your cars and head for the nearest challenging piece of road once the weather turns ugly. You will see what these cars can truly due when conditions are less than optimal.

I arrived, in 4 hours as planned, and I jumped out, feeling great. In a small way, I felt like a driver who just ran hard in a rain filled race. I certainly didn't live on the edge like they do, but it was fun none the less.

I was eager to conduct my business the next day, so I could jump in, and head back on the 4 mile trip. The weather was cloudy, but dry. While it was as fun as always, and I was able to push harder in relative safety, I won't soon forget that thrilling drive in the rain.

I know that their are many great cars, but I am happy and lucky to say, i own this one. I am so glad I bought this car. I know my experience is not unique, but to me, it was a first, and has had me smiling for 2 straight days.

Enjoy your cars
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 AM
NewFahrt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of tires do you have?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 AM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OEM Michelins that came with the car.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM
AndreCT
Racer

YAY !! not that we need to "validate" our purchases ..lol.. that sounds like a lot of fun you had!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, I enjoyed reading this..
not that it matters that much but does your C4 have PASM suspension or standard suspension and 19"s or ?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the winter, I put snow tires on my '86 Carrera and have an absolute blast in the snow! If you liked the rain you'll enjoy snow as well. With all the weight over the drive wheels, the car goes like a tractor.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Did the same thing the other day. A 13 hour fun cruise through New England with the "boss". Only a few stops for her shopping. Rain(hard) and shine, highway and country! Most enjoyable, and very comfortable! What a trip!

What a car!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep - What a Car!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted some data in another thread about my rain day at Watkins Glen. Lap times were just a little slower than dry conditions and the G forces generated (lateral and braking) were astounding in the hard rain. Absolutely fun (I've always enjoyed rain driving) and hard to believe just how good these cars (and oem PS2s) are until you've experienced it yourself.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I made half a dozen trips to Germany in the first part of this year, and I was amazed how many 911s were out on (mandatory) snow tires.

Kinda makes us in the US look like dummies... the average German "Porsche Nut" wouldn't think of garaging his or her car just because it's cold and snowy.

That's enjoyment! <g>

Quick Reply: Validation