Navigation System Trivia

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Navigation System Trivia

It took me nearly 17,000 miles but I finally found out what that "Repeat" button under the telephone keypad on the PCM is for when you have the navigation system taking you somewhere. It repeats the last navigational instruction (audio) and updates it for distance appropriately. For example, if it told you to prepare to make a left turn at 200 yards press it again in a few seconds and it will tell you to prepare for a turn in 100 yards, etc.

Some of this stuff takes a long time to learn.

Any other navigational trivia facts?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROFLMA
Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I've figured out that if you press the "map" button a map comes up with a little triangle representing you.

Reading the manual, it seems that the nav system uses not just GPS but mechanical odometry to figure out where you are. So this can make it a step above a handheld system relying on GPS alone. Tres cool! I wonder if this is pretty standard across built-in nav systems available with most current cars.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geof
So far I've figured out that if you press the "map" button a map comes up with a little triangle representing you.

Reading the manual, it seems that the nav system uses not just GPS but mechanical odometry to figure out where you are. So this can make it a step above a handheld system relying on GPS alone. Tres cool! I wonder if this is pretty standard across built-in nav systems available with most current cars.

In Europe in particular, some of their tunnels are substantial,--miles long. The car has the ability to DR,--dead reckon,--for substantial distances when the GPS signal is interrupted. When the signal returns it puts you right back on centerline.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't know how to work that Nav on my car.... Sometimes on the map, the street name of the next turn will display on the top left corner of the screen, but sometimes, it won't.

I need to press the Nav button to see what is the street name of my next turn, and then press the Map button again to see the map, and then the Nav button, then the Map, .....

Why doesn't it always display the street name of the next turn on the map screeen, just like most other GPS system? It seems have its own mind to determine hidding the street name until I am almost approaching the turn...

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
In Europe in particular, some of their tunnels are substantial,--miles long. The car has the ability to DR,--dead reckon,--for substantial distances when the GPS signal is interrupted. When the signal returns it puts you right back on centerline.
It makes perfect sense. It's just that my experience with GPS in the past has been with a handheld Garmin, so I never really thought of this. I wonder if the nav system has a gyro built in to help pick out when you are turning, or if it just assumes you are staying on a road and computes how far down the road you've traveled. Modern cheap MEMS gyros can sense turning rates of around a degree per minute.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
It makes perfect sense. It's just that my experience with GPS in the past has been with a handheld Garmin, so I never really thought of this. I wonder if the nav system has a gyro built in to help pick out when you are turning, or if it just assumes you are staying on a road and computes how far down the road you've traveled. Modern cheap MEMS gyros can sense turning rates of around a degree per minute.
Even my Garmin Nuvi 350 has shown progress when I've been in a long tunnel (under water). I believe it assumes that you are maintaining the same speed on the projected route until it re-syncs with the satellites again. It isn't true dead reckoning, but a reasonable approximation.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I still don't know how to work that Nav on my car.... Sometimes on the map, the street name of the next turn will display on the top left corner of the screen, but sometimes, it won't.

I need to press the Nav button to see what is the street name of my next turn, and then press the Map button again to see the map, and then the Nav button, then the Map, .....

Why doesn't it always display the street name of the next turn on the map screeen, just like most other GPS system? It seems have its own mind to determine hidding the street name until I am almost approaching the turn...

With best regards,
- Alex.
Might want to check the set up via the PCM
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I did read through the manuals but seemed couldn't find the setting (if any) to force-display 'street name of the next turn' on Map screen all the time...

So far I keep swtiching from Nav and Map screens, so I can see both the map and the street name of the next turn. It is a little frustrating when I am navigated through tight city street routes...

With best regards,
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I saw this for the first time the other day (the street name at the top). I can't tell you why it does it sometimes and not.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:45 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Thanks. I did read through the manuals but seemed couldn't find the setting (if any) to force-display 'street name of the next turn' on Map screen all the time...

So far I keep swtiching from Nav and Map screens, so I can see both the map and the street name of the next turn. It is a little frustrating when I am navigated through tight city street routes...

With best regards,
Have you try using different zoom setting? On both my CS and C4S the next street is displayed automatically (on the map) when it is less than 300ft (may be less). I think the zoom setting is set to 0.1 miles. Also, when a turn is coming, the display zoom-in automatically and the next street will be displayed.
Give it a try.

Sinclair
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
akif
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It took me nearly 17,000 miles but I finally found out what that "Repeat" button under the telephone keypad on the PCM is for when you have the navigation system taking you somewhere. It repeats the last navigational instruction (audio) and updates it for distance appropriately. For example, if it told you to prepare to make a left turn at 200 yards press it again in a few seconds and it will tell you to prepare for a turn in 100 yards, etc.

Some of this stuff takes a long time to learn.

Any other navigational trivia facts?
Here's one...

Press right (not correct, rather the "not left") button. You can now choose "map cursor". Move the cursor with number pad, and zoom in/zoom out by making the rectangle smaller/bigger using the left button. Pick a point, and choose "route guidance".

Great for getting to twisty roads. I have used it in the following way... use google on PC to find a nice twisty mountainous road. Get in the car, and using map cursor, tell Nav to take me to a point on the road. Once there, enjoy the drive.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Anyone else ever hears the "Caution, restricted access" line? It happens at one of the hospitals I work at but nowhere else that I travel to. I get a kick out of it.

One other feature that I like relates to one of the Boston harbor tunnels that is part of the "Big Dig" here. I guess it was made after my NAV disc so when I go through that particular tunnel, my car is zipping across a blue screen of water.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
...One other feature that I like relates to one of the Boston harbor tunnels that is part of the "Big Dig" here. I guess it was made after my NAV disc so when I go through that particular tunnel, my car is zipping across a blue screen of water.
I'm surprised the Nav Unit doesn't suggest "Please hold your breath for the next 1.2 miles."
Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I'm surprised the Nav Unit doesn't suggest "Please hold your breath for the next 1.2 miles."
As a courtesy, I say precisely that to my wife after I've beefed in the car.

Quick Reply: Navigation System Trivia