Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Clock issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM
cipri
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since august 05 when i bought the car my clock is slow, 3 or 4 min each week. also there is a constant rattle in my sunroof and the car was in the shop for it 5 times. it was never fixed.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:50 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheap fix is to set the clock to something way off like 7 hours and 33 minutes. And now I just dont even look at it anymore.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 PM
TxNative
Track Day

Not sure the NAV fixes the slow clock issue. I have a 2008 C4S w/NAV and the clock runs about 1 min slow per week. I have had no other reason to take it to the dealer. Not sure I will have them do anything unless it is a software fix.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StickShift964
i got in the car yesterday, clock said something:34, it clicked to something:35 as i sat there before i started it. it was on the 35th minute for maybe 25 seconds, i put the key in and start the engine and it goes back to :34.

really bugged me out
I know this is a hackneyed topic and perhaps I'm asking for a good Enzo-ing (pax!) but this clock business really annoyed me.

Yesterday, I had exactly the same experience as StickShift relates above; I happened to be looking at the time exactly as I turned the key to start the engine and the clock ticked backwards one minute as I did so.

I was intrigued and repeated the action ten times during the day; once more the clock went backwards, the other nine times it didn't. So I searched the threads and found this one.

What this proves, anyway, is that the clocks are NOT specifically slow in their function. Rather, that they are interfered with through some ECU/electrical glitch occasionally on start-up. If it happens, say, 5% of the time, that'd be enough to 'lose' a minute a week.

(Not that any of this actually matters a damn - but I'm personally delighted to have discovered the culprit. And give credit to StickShift for noticing this first.)
Old 10-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I am outraged! Keira (Knightly) and I might have been married by now, had it not been for a missed date due to the clock. I have engaged legal council at Dewey, Cheatem & Howe in order to pursue the issue. In all seriousness, after about 19,000 blissful miles I am so happy that this is my worst problem.

Cheers.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

So... if the clock is truly getting it's time signal (GMT) from the Nav unit, then it _could_ "legally" roll backwards.

That's assuming the clock ran ahead whilst "on internal power" and reset itself after the Nav had acquired timing signals from the sat constellation.

Or, maybe it's just freaking broken.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
So... if the clock is truly getting it's time signal (GMT) from the Nav unit, then it _could_ "legally" roll backwards.

That's assuming the clock ran ahead whilst "on internal power" and reset itself after the Nav had acquired timing signals from the sat constellation..
Well, in my case, an absolute no. I don't have satnav.

(I generally know where I'm going and if I don't, it just takes longer to get where I don't know where to go to - and as I have a 997S, is that all bad?)

And another thing, Alstoy; stop whining about Kiera Knightly - she's a bag' o'bones and you're well out of it.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I don’t believe the clock is actually late but, rather a reflection of the space time continuum shift caused by the fast driving.

Draxxa-Just as well things didn’t work out between Kiera and me. Wonder if Rachel Weisz is free?

I can't believe you lot are still carrying on about this.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My late 06 cab with extended nav is spot on all the time.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 132 Posts

I happened to be looking at the time exactly as I turned the key to start the engine and the clock ticked backwards one minute as I did so
After reading this I paid attention and the same thing happen to my '06 (no nav) tonight... By George I think you've got it!!

Matt
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I don’t believe the clock is actually late but, rather a reflection of the space time continuum shift caused by the fast driving.

Draxxa-Just as well things didn’t work out between Kiera and me. Wonder if Rachel Weisz is free?

I can't believe you lot are still carrying on about this.
For God's sake, man... if this is true, we can save mankind! Enough Porsche clocks, running backwards in synchronicity... we could undo global warming, and eliminate Al Gore before he was born!

This is the find of the century... Alstoy - we've got to go back to the future!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 AM
cipri
Track Day

Don esti roman? Strimbu means the croocked one!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

i think depending on how far into the minute it is determinds if it ticks back or not. Ill get around to fooling with it timing intervals with a stopwatch when i can get my hands on a stopwatch.....cant use the chronograph as i would be turning it on and off, hah.

Originally Posted by draxa
I know this is a hackneyed topic and perhaps I'm asking for a good Enzo-ing (pax!) but this clock business really annoyed me.

Yesterday, I had exactly the same experience as StickShift relates above; I happened to be looking at the time exactly as I turned the key to start the engine and the clock ticked backwards one minute as I did so.

I was intrigued and repeated the action ten times during the day; once more the clock went backwards, the other nine times it didn't. So I searched the threads and found this one.

What this proves, anyway, is that the clocks are NOT specifically slow in their function. Rather, that they are interfered with through some ECU/electrical glitch occasionally on start-up. If it happens, say, 5% of the time, that'd be enough to 'lose' a minute a week.

(Not that any of this actually matters a damn - but I'm personally delighted to have discovered the culprit. And give credit to StickShift for noticing this first.)
Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alstoy

Rachel - nope, not available. Some guy with a VW Beetle snapped her up.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cipri
Don esti roman? Strimbu means the croocked one!
Yes, Cipri - my father is Romanian, my mother Czech. My paternal grandmother came to the US in the very early 1900s at 4 years of age. Unfortunately, our surname does not reflect our actual personalities... we are quite all above-board :-)

My father's friends routinely razz him about being a chicken thief, but he claims to have never stolen any breathing animals... hmmmmm. Now I wonder.

-don

Quick Reply: Slow Clock issue