Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS ACCURACY

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Longacre 50356 digital tyre gauge last week and topped up my cold tyre pressures to 33/39. The Porsche TPMS read exactly the same. Outside air temp was somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees. Mine is a 2007 model.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I bought a Longacre 50356 digital tyre gauge last week and topped up my cold tyre pressures to 33/39. The Porsche TPMS read exactly the same. Outside air temp was somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees. Mine is a 2007 model.
Houston at 30? Maybe C, not F, correct?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sorry it's in Centigrade - the unit for measuring climatic temperature adopted by all countries in the 1960s except the USA

Temperature was roughly 90 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited by FiatCoupe; 07-26-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Thanks GonGoff
I appreciate the input. My TPMS has consistently read 3 psi below actual reading. I preformed a TPMS reboot so to speak and now it reads within 1 psi for the last few days. Interesting.
I am going to get an Accutire digital pressure guage like you suggest.
Have a nice Sunday
Time to take my 85yr ols mother-in-law out for her weekly Pcar ride.

Cons
Sure, let us know if the accutire matches the TPMS!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I air my tires in accordance with the TPMS readout. Cold check, first thing each morning before heading out. I maintail all to "0" for all four. Summer tires, partial load. Usually coincides with 34 front and 37 rear. Running Nitto Invos'. So far so good. 09 C4S launch coupe. No probs for almost 2 years now.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default TPMS Accuracy

Curious, is TPMS a safety or convenience feature?

I called Americas tires to get a quote to replace the sensors for comparison. $567 to replace all four. I asked if the TPMS could be disabled and they said it was a considered a safety device and could not be disabled.

I have a 997.1 and have read the threads about this version of TPMS is not accurate. How can something that isn't accurate be a safety feature?

The manual is clear that it is the owners responsibility to maintain proper tire pressure. From what I have read and experienced you can't do that with 997.1 TPMS system. If I were to inflate my tires using TPMS and not a gage I know that I could be 10-12 pounds over on one tire when compared to using a good gage. Does running the rear tires at 55 to 60 pounds an issue (I think yes) so it seems this should not be a safety feature...more of an idiot light that says you are low. Also, from what I have picked up in these forums that a "flat tyre" message doesn't mean you have a flat tire but more like means you have a bad sensor. Is getting out of the car to check to see if the tire is flat always a safe thing? I know...manual says you need to be in a safe place, Like an ice covered windy road in the alps vs. 'the hood' in LA.

I don't have a sales brochure for the car and didn't pay attention to what they said the TPMS feature would do when I bought it but if anybody has the sales (not owners manual) brochure I would be curious as too what they said it could do.

Not certain America's Tire had it correct, nor would I want to disable the system but would be interested in what others felt about TPMS: Safety or Convenience?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
Curious, is TPMS a safety or convenience feature?

I called Americas tires to get a quote to replace the sensors for comparison. $567 to replace all four. I asked if the TPMS could be disabled and they said it was a considered a safety device and could not be disabled.

I have a 997.1 and have read the threads about this version of TPMS is not accurate. How can something that isn't accurate be a safety feature?

The manual is clear that it is the owners responsibility to maintain proper tire pressure. From what I have read and experienced you can't do that with 997.1 TPMS system. If I were to inflate my tires using TPMS and not a gage I know that I could be 10-12 pounds over on one tire when compared to using a good gage. Does running the rear tires at 55 to 60 pounds an issue (I think yes) so it seems this should not be a safety feature...more of an idiot light that says you are low. Also, from what I have picked up in these forums that a "flat tyre" message doesn't mean you have a flat tire but more like means you have a bad sensor. Is getting out of the car to check to see if the tire is flat always a safe thing? I know...manual says you need to be in a safe place, Like an ice covered windy road in the alps vs. 'the hood' in LA.

I don't have a sales brochure for the car and didn't pay attention to what they said the TPMS feature would do when I bought it but if anybody has the sales (not owners manual) brochure I would be curious as too what they said it could do.

Not certain America's Tire had it correct, nor would I want to disable the system but would be interested in what others felt about TPMS: Safety or Convenience?
TPMS will tell you if a tire is flat or losing air faster than the other tires - no one uses it as a gauge to set tire pressures.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:22 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't disagree but that is not what other people have posted.

Maybe Porsche should send out an update to the manual that specifically states not to use TPMS as a gage?

Your comment about "flat or losing air faster than the other tires" says it still as some marginal safety aspect to it. I'll buy that.

This is what Porsche said in the brochure:

The optional Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) provides early warning of any drop in pressure via the on-board computer display and a dedicated warning light.

It does that. Until I read the brochure I didn't realize that it wasn't for anything more than "early warning" or "idiot light" like function.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was searching this subject and found this older post. In my case, on my 09 Cayenne, i discovered that all my TPMS sensors are about 4 lbs over. I have a few reliable and accurate bourdon tube gauge's.

After reading this history, I know not to use the TPMS for accurate pressure readings.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
msuheritage
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had great look with this one

Amazon.com: Joes Racing 32307 (0-60) PSI Tire Pressure Gauge: Automotive Amazon.com: Joes Racing 32307 (0-60) PSI Tire Pressure Gauge: Automotive

Quick Reply: TPMS ACCURACY