Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy front end collision in my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for what happened. I'm very happy to hear you all made it out okay (that's the most important thing).
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update -- Stopped by the "yard" at the body shop tonight on the way home from work. Got my first really good look at the car. Wow, it's ugly. There are pieces, wires, sensors, broken plastic cylinders, etc. literally hanging all over under the front end. The entire front end sits very low, almost like it has collapsed. Even though there was no damage to the driver's side, one of the tow truck drivers obviously opened the driver's door into a rail or something, as there's an enormous chip of paint off the edge of the edge (the same edge I put carpet on the walls of my garage to protect in the event of an accidental overextended opening). Neither side window fits properly. The entire dash is blown out. The rear view mirror is dangling by wires. I could go on. It's just a complete mess. I really don't think I would even want this car again. I can't see how it could ever be made acceptable again. The interior wreaks from the burned charges of the airbags.

What they say seems to be really true -- you don't really feel the aftereffects of the accident until 24 hours later. Neck is throbbing tonight really bad. Tomorrow I'm heading to the doc.

I'll talk to insurance further and find out all my options, including the Diminished Value option presented herein.

Thanks everyone for the support and very valuable info. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
I really don't think I would even want this car again.
Hopefully your neck will begin to feel better soon. A good physician should be able to get you sorted out.

What I'd say is to let the insurance company's adjuster go out to see the car and let them give their assessment. It's up to the paying company's (not sure whether this is the federal government or State Farm in your case) adjuster whether to deem the car a total loss. I'd find out who the adjuster is in each case, and speak with them directly, ask for their report, and ask the body shop for their estimate.

Also, regardless of degree of damage, there are companies that will buy the damaged car from you. This might be an option if just want to get out of the car entirely, and you don't want to wait for a body shop to fix it, rental cars, diminished value claims, insurance battles, etc. I did this with an Audi last year.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok. I was in a similar accident in March. The extent of my damage was very minor (front bumper replaced) as I was able to swerve away from the truck that turned right in front of me, and hit the walkway. Once you find out that everyone is ok, you start worrying about the car. All the best.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Vegas4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eilig
Even though there was no damage to the driver's side, one of the tow truck drivers obviously opened the driver's door into a rail or something, as there's an enormous chip of paint off the edge of the edge (the same edge I put carpet on the walls of my garage to protect in the event of an accidental overextended opening). .
Probably opened the door and hit the rail on the side of the flatbed when he towed it in.
Good Luck with everything!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 PM
surfingbuddhist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the description of its current condition, I'm pretty sure this car will be totalled. If so, will you get a new P-car?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

After getting my neck x-rayed, I stopped by the body shop and chatted briefly with the manager. He had not yet inspected my car, so we walked out and had a look. After a rudimentary look, I asked him if there's any chance it would be declared a total loss. His response was, "Not a chance." He said they'll take it completely apart, put it on a frame machine, and when they're done with it, it'll look and drive brand new. I have to admit, I remain a bit skeptical. But at this point, it doesn't look like I'll have much choice but to give them a shot at it. He thought it would take roughly 2-3 months, depending on the timing of arriving parts. Past experience with body shops tells me that if he says 2-3 months, I'll be lucky to see it complete by December.

I've got pics. I'll try to get them uploaded after dinner...

Doc said I've got whiplash, and I'm on painkillers and muscle relaxants. We'll have the x-ray results tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Body shop guy may be right, or may not be. He certainly has experience, but he may not be objective. I would expect that he would prefer to see the car fixed in his shop than totaled. FWIW, it took about two months to get my car back, so his estimate on time is probably not too far off.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Okay armchair estimators, have at it.

Last edited by eilig; 07-04-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a wild guess:

$25k for repairs, another $20k for diminished value.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Maison
Advanced

OMG, I'm gonna cry now...
Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I'm glad you and the others are okay. Beyond that, the car... man, the pics are sickening.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Now I'm really sick. It looks like a 2005 Launch Car. It's a family member; I own a Launch Car (#337) as well.

Body panels and trim are bolt on items; no big deal. If the frame is 'true' then it can be done right.

Speedy & 100% recovery concerning the neck injury is more important.

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

The most important thing is to get well and make sure you have no lingering medical problems. Let the body shop guy do his thing. If the car is not the same after repair get rid of it. It's not an Enzo or Carrera GT so there should be no problem finding another one.

Hope all goes well.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry to see this. Goes to show why the 2006+ cars have passenger seat sensors...if your car had them, the dashboard, windshield, and likely the rear view mirror and sunroof seals would have remained intact, the side window wouldn't have popped out, and the deployment experience wouldn't have been as violent. Best of luck with the recovery and repair...

Quick Reply: Heavy front end collision in my C2S