Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the front plate off today

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007 | 10:55 PM
sharmat
Pro

Default Took the front plate off today

Just moved from NJ to PA. Knowing that PA doesnt require a front plate, I took the front license plate off today. The plate was screwed on to a black plastic bracket which was attached to the front bumper. I was expecting 2 holes for the bracket. I was shocked to see 4 holes on the bumper! 2 were from the bracket. the other 2 were from the 2 top screws used to hold the plate to the bracket. Apparently the screws that hole the plate on to bracket ALSO go thru the bumper. Cant believe the dealer put 4 holes in my bumper for that !@#$ plate!!! What the hell???

Not only was i dissapponted but now should i get 4 bumper plugs....which may look stupid or just put the bracket and plate back on and the hell with it. Any input would be a great help.
Old 07-21-2007 | 11:18 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

bumperplugs will look better than the plate bracket. They make great stuff
Old 07-21-2007 | 11:23 PM
AP997S
Pro

My 997S had the same misfortune.

I used (4) plugs from Eric @ bumperplugs.com.

My car is black so I think the plugs tend to blend in better.

I'm just waiting for my bumper to get more rock chips before I look for a undrilled replacement.
Old 07-22-2007 | 12:07 AM
sharmat
Pro

Thanks for the input.

I have one set of bumper-plugs already. But they are bigger than the original drill holes. If i make the drill hole bigger so the plugs fit, i wount be able to go back to the bracket incase i move in the future. Might have to use the tow hook or run w/o a front plate and risk a ticket. I didnt think it would get this confusing for the stupid plate.
Old 07-22-2007 | 01:39 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

i had the same misfortune, exactly. i chose the "bumper plug" route which made it both tolerable and laughable. if i would have kept the car (i sold it) the front bumper would most likely have been filled at some point.

regards
Old 07-22-2007 | 02:03 AM
topspd
Advanced

I ordered a set of plugs and when they arrived I took off my plate to discover the same 4 holes. Rather than drilling them larger to put in the plugs, I used the rounded handle of a screwdriver to gently push the bumper material into the holes until almost flush then filled with repeated layers of touch up paint. I now have 4 small bumps rather than 4 large bumper plugs and it's livable..
Old 07-22-2007 | 09:31 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you have to drill, a 1/4" grommet will fit the drilled hole later on if a plate mount is needed. Simple fix. Just get on the order page and go!

You can also use a Dremmel tool to shave the plug stem down a bit to fit smaller holes.

Thanks.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:37 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pump-Plugs via Eric...
Old 07-23-2007 | 10:58 AM
ozcav
Instructor

I had the same issue and Eric was great about sending out two more plugs quickly. It doesn't look great but does look better than the plate. I was nervous about expanding the size of the holes too, but making a bracket fit if I had to go back to a front plate would not be too difficult. I justify dealing with the plugs for now by telling myself that once I collect enough rock chips to really bother me I will replace the front bumper with an aero one.

Quick Reply: Took the front plate off today