Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling differences- C4 vs C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling differences- C4 vs C4S?

Has anyone driven both in recent year models and noted any significant differences in how they drive and handle?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I'm no expert, but yes I did drive both. The power band is different but markedly unnoticeable in my opion for regular driving.

Handling, to me is negligeable. This is only about 10 miles test drive in each car. I purchased the Targa4 in lie of the Targa4S as the performance difference didn't justify the extra few bucks.

I'm sure that others will disagree. Just one man's opinion.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:14 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Agreed with J. I've had about one hour in a C4 vs about 300 hours in my C4S. All of the "fours" handle pretty much the same, as the interaxle, et al is the same. Of course, the tires are slightly narrower in the rear and that will be noticeable if you're _really_ attuned.

I personally love the way that the power flows in the 4S... I can slip the rear end and catch it neatly when the torque flows to the front. The 4 didn't have quite as much "grunt" but overall, they were very equal if you kept the tach up an extra thousand "Rs" or so in the 4 versus the 4S.

I will also postulate that the difference in the torque curves for the 3.6 vs the 3.8 will affect power transfer, since the 4/4S transfer case is viscous and requires rear wheel slippage to transfer power. The 4 seemed to be happier up in the higher rev range than the 4S, which was content to "putt" down below 4-5k. The 3.6 really woke up above 4.5k and ran off the tach with vigor...

I like the low-down torque of the 3.8, but I also like the "rev-happiness" of the 3.6. I guess the X51 is the only viable solution to this conundrum. Next time, maybe...

There are a lot of RWD advocates on this site, of course - but if you wanted the Targa, you had no choice in the matter. I bought a C4S bc that's what I wanted. That being said, my next 911 will probably be a GT3.

Now, I just have to get the darned kids out of college to make that happen! Drat!

Hey, J - how's the Targa handling in PASM normal? Does it feel top heavy?

-don
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a bit of difference in handling. There are a few articles that address this in the car rags. I guess the bottom line is the C4S is heavier and is a bit sluggish here and there at high limits on the track.

But, I didn't get my C4S for the have a click difference in the twisties. Who drives like that on the 'real roads'? Yeah, on the track, I'm sure the true drivers enjoy the CS version over the C4S .... unless it's raining, I suppose.

I bought the C4S cuz it looks better to me from the rear. I enjoy the somewhat wider tire, too. As well as the wider butt of the C4S.

Yeah, it's a few dollars more. Who cares? It was what I wanted. If I were a track driver, or some such, I may have a different opinion. But, I drive the car to work. It's my daily driver.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I wish I could give an accurate assesment with regard to the feel of the 4. My point of comparison are my 06 Viper and my 1996 F355. Granted, the Porsche has 10 years of technology on the Ferrari so there is no real comparison.

The Viper is miles away form the Targa. While the Viper brakes better and surely out accelerates the 9, the Targa is much more nimble, much easier to drive and has much better grip post apex. I feel I can push this car at its limit without fear of killing myself. The Viper would bite me if I gave it the chance.

I agree with Baggerdude. I'm don't track these cars. This is what I wanted and at the end of the day it is a 997, what's not to like. Have fun all!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I bought the C4S cuz it looks better to me from the rear. I enjoy the somewhat wider tire, too. As well as the wider butt of the C4S.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 997 C4 and C4S have the same wide rear and the C2 and the C2S are narrower.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Yep. 4/4S are widebody, 2/2S are (slightly) narrower.

I think that Bagger was talking about the "4" cars in general, as compared to the "2" - not 4 to 4S. Just my guess...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Yep. 4/4S are widebody, 2/2S are (slightly) narrower.

I think that Bagger was talking about the "4" cars in general, as compared to the "2" - not 4 to 4S. Just my guess...
What he say'd ....

Quick Reply: Handling differences- C4 vs C4S?