Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

+1
Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
On the 360/430, everything which looks like metal is metal. Actually, the aluminum center console in the 360 looks like plastic because of the aluminum-looking paint over the aluminum, but that's another story...
im lost...
Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I would be wiling to pay an extra $500 to have real metal parts inside the 911......A/C vents, door latch, console trim etc. It might add 2-4 poounds.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:42 PM
joolsbourne
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Huge downside to exterior door handles in metal are temperature. In the sun they get fricking hot and when you only have that to open the door with it can get very painful.
Metal on the inside in another story, my old Aston had metal with a piece of suede (alcantara) where ones paws touched them. Always felt great!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I say no metal parts or plastic parts inside the Carrera. This car is inspired and built on RACING heritage and the current car is the little brother of the current race car and everything should be ultra high quality carbon fiber. What is up with these interiors looking like the inside of a stuffy old banker or accountants office?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I was reading Leffingwell's book "Porsche 911" and learned that the original inside door handles were crafted of solid aluminum. Crash testing revealed that the front hinged aluminum handles would swing forward on impact, causing the door to open. Porsche then changed them to composite to look like aluminum.

The book also explained how the cab was Porsche's first priority in designing the 997. It's a good behind the scenes historical read.

Originally Posted by Dr. G
It was during the development of the 997. According to the book Porsche could have alleviated the problem by adding a counterweight, but instead decided to use the aluminum finished composite material.
Very strange.

I work for a company that makes, among other things, plastic interior door handles.

We don't assemble them with their springs, housings, etc, but our sister company does. I'll ask my contacts over there about the issue of flinging forward in crashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMO: I would much rather have plastic doorhandles.
1) lightweight.
2) Less problems with burning hot in summer and freezing cold in winter.
3) The "satin" or "platinum" chrome plating finishes we make have a lovely feel to them.

I however appreciate the bad feelings towards "disguising" cheap plastic to look like metal, it is a common misleading practice. This is always done for cost too.

The worst example of this is the beautiful chrome plated PLASTIC skidplates that we make for Saturn. Yeah, that'll stop a boulder from eating your oilpan on your neighborhood off-roading trail, silly soccermoms. Ha!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
I say no metal parts or plastic parts inside the Carrera. This car is inspired and built on RACING heritage and the current car is the little brother of the current race car and everything should be ultra high quality carbon fiber. What is up with these interiors looking like the inside of a stuffy old banker or accountants office?

CF would take care of the weight issue quite well.

If you want a RACING interior, Porsche (or an aftermarket) will $ell it to you.
Porsche will also continue to sell lots and lots and lots of bankers-office interiors to those who like them and outnumber you.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly is bad about plastic? Do people have something against dead dinosaur guts rendered to fashionable door pulls?

IMHO, I'd rather have aluminum look than aluminum. Then again, I saved money and have a rubber biscuit dash instead of a dead cow hide covered rubber biscuit dash. The damn thing still drives like a bat out of hell, even without aluminum and cow hide.

tmc
Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have many years of experience in the engineering thermoplastics industry and, therefore, have a great appreciation for these materials. They have, as well as other technologies, greatly contributed to the increased performance of cars, aircraft, consumer electronics, etc., etc...... but everything has its place. I believe in presenting something as it really is. No fake wood or silver paint for interior parts!!!!. ( I must admit I do accept the vinyl covered seat bolsters with leather seast inserts in my MB E320. The vinyl ( sorry... "MB Tex"!) actually wears better that the leather from getting in and out of the car).
Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have many years of experience in the engineering thermoplastics industry and, therefore, have a great appreciation for these materials. They have, as well as other technologies, greatly contributed to the increased performance of cars, aircraft, consumer electronics, etc., etc...... but everything has its place. I believe in presenting something as it really is. No fake wood or silver paint for interior parts!!!!. ( I must admit I do accept the vinyl covered seat bolsters with leather seast inserts in my MB E320. The vinyl ( sorry... "MB Tex"!) actually wears better that the leather from getting in and out of the car).

+1

Quick Reply: Interesting 997 factoid