Sponsored by:

HELP! stuck on sat install prob with optical cables

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
george_k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! stuck on sat install prob with optical cables

Hey Guys, can anyone with experience on sat installs give me a hint on the hookup for the MOST cables
I have the following parts purchase from SunCoast which they recomended for my install - 997 with no CD changer and NO nav system.

955 044 902 67 XM RADIO KIT FOR CAYENNE (P/N for vehicles w/o CD changer)
997 622 713 00 OPTICAL CABLE (purchased separately as recomended by suncoast, has 2 optical ends, 1 female, 1 male. and a power cable extension as well Male x Female which seems like it would work to extend the small cd changer power cable.

I can't figure out how to use the optical cables, if I unplug the MOST cable from the Amp unit as recomended in the forums, I am missing one end to go to the sat unit when using the 713 00 cable, this cable is basically like an extender and does not give me an extra port.

if I use the cable from cayenne kit, which has 4 male ends, I am clueless as to how it would get connected as i need at least I female end and i will have extra unused ends which I don't think is allowable.

HELP
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
george_k
Instructor

PS - also started to unplug an optical cable at a connection behind brake booster that runs from AMP thru Firewall and then realized I was getting in over my head - i would never get that plugged back together as connection is wedged behind brake booster
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
george_k
Instructor

Anyone know whether its OK to have extra unused optical connection after installation?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
george_k
Instructor

Solved my problem, there is a jumper that is required for the 997 622 713 00 OPTICAL CABLE
(or any of the optional optical cables used on MOST components), when all connections are not being used, it is part # 999 650 091 40 -bridge, a small black plastic optical jumper that must placed over any unused ends on the MOST bus system cables, such as an extra port for the CD changer or NAV. - The fiber optic MOST loop must be contiuous.

I found this out from my dealers parts department and their audio system installer. I also decided to let him do the install, he is charging $450 with my supplying all of the components and has access to the dealer techs for the use of PIWIS as necessary for his installations. Dealer would not do the install themselvese and reffered me to this installer who is at the dealership basically every day. watched him working on a bluetooth install on an new Aston Martin DB9 in one of the dealers service bays so i think my car is in good hands.
Suncoast audio missed this part on my order for the cayenne XM system and offered to reimburse me for the cost ($14)
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Be sure and snap some photos as you go. Others could learn off you!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
george_k
Instructor

finally got install done, tech did a great job, cable were cut to length and correctly terminated, reception is great.
cabling is almost invisible and covered in black fabric in battery area that looks stock porsche, it took me a while to fidd the optical cable myself
I have attached photo of Antenna but nothing is really visible, its completely covered in black cloth tape under cowl and did not want to pull it apart.
installed did not remove cowl cover to do the install.

I have attached some photos.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: HELP! stuck on sat install prob with optical cables