Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown engine and I have no clue why

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I went through engine replacement on my 996 I was told Porsche does not recognize "remanufactured engines". They have new engines and replacement engines - allegedly.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All warrenty replacement engines are reman..................that means the block and cradle and head castings are reused, every thing else would be new from pistons and bearings to the harness and accesorys.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
All warrenty replacement engines are reman..................that means the block and cradle and head castings are reused, every thing else would be new from pistons and bearings to the harness and accesorys.
If that is the case I guess the only thing one might be concerned with is the inside surface of the cylinders and valve seats and guides? But I guess that these are checked and honed as needed? Also, I am guessing that Porsche is rebuilding these engines at a special facility that just does this? Perhaps in Eastern Europe with lower labor costs? I believe that this would advantageous because you then have real expertise focussing on just Porsche engines.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My replacement / remanufactured engine (now at 9000 miles) is much better than my original - both performance and mpg wise. Then again, I guess my original was never up to spec - it started using oil at 5000 miles due to a bad ring. When I eventaully got them to take the black tail pipe and using a litre of oil every 1000 miles (after using none) they found a bad ring in six which has scored the bore. All happened 4 weeks before the warrnanty expired. Phew!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

IIRC, the remanufactured engines come from the original production line but did not pass Porsche specs when they tested the engine. Those engines are then torn down and rebuilt with all new parts except the engine core. They get a little more "individual attantion" which is why many have said that the remanufactured engine runs better than the original engine.

Quick Reply: blown engine and I have no clue why