Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing a Flat

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007 | 12:40 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by nyca
you can't plug the tire after you use the sealant? ugh.
That's not for certain.

Way at the beginning of spareless 997 introduction I asked this question alot. I got many answers from Porsche service and other "experts" that say it CAN be plugged and patched after goo.

Who knows for sure?

DIY plugs? Can't tell you how many Sunday nights I plugged my wife's tires (she cuts corners too close to curbs) with DIY plugs. She promises to get them properly repaired: she never does! ZERO problems with DIY plugs over the years. She drives frisky too. Go figure.
Old 07-05-2007 | 01:07 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Anything to avoid that goop mess would be worthwhile.

Anyone ever use the canned fix-a-flat stuff. I wondering if it is just as messy. It must be somewhat different chemically in that it claims that it inflates as it fills, i.e. no compressor needed.

To the NYCA poster who included the link to Patchboys -- thank you. I bought the $5 repair kit at the auto store that includes 4 string like seals, a rasp tool and a needle tool. Is the mushroom plug a step up from the string type of plug? Is it worth carrying?

A simple and integrated spare would have made all this a moot point.

KJK
Old 07-05-2007 | 02:52 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

For the mushroom plug, you have to remove the tire and do the plug/patch from inside of the tire.
Old 07-05-2007 | 03:40 PM
MMD
Banned

The other thing? A proper plug and patch job is made from inside. The patch is to make the plug leak proof. Like baloons tires will leak air unless they are coated on the inside with a air leak barrier. Just using a plug, and not the air-proof patch material will still will result in a slow leak.

Something I read a while ago on a reputable tire repair website.
Old 07-05-2007 | 07:44 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Mushroom plug is a combination of patch and plug. I was told there was the proper and only way to repair a tire correctly.
Old 07-05-2007 | 07:57 PM
TxNative
Track Day

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
For the mushroom plug, you have to remove the tire and do the plug/patch from inside of the tire.
I did not realize that. You saved me some money since I was ready to order the mushroom plug kit. However, I want something that I can use to repair the tire from the outside for a temp repair rather than use the Porsche Goo.
Guess I will order the cheaper "string" type plugs.
Old 07-05-2007 | 08:05 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

They sell a perfectly useable plugging kit at Walmart for a few bucks. I'd suggest keeping a safety blade with it to trim the plug if you ever need to use the kit.

Originally Posted by TxNative
Guess I will order the cheaper "string" type plugs.
Old 07-05-2007 | 08:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The rubber impregnated string plugs work absolutely well to contain air. I've had them last tens of thousands of miles. Don't for a minute think they don't hold air. I would do that in a second before pouring goop into my wheel.
Old 07-05-2007 | 08:46 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The rubber impregnated string plugs work absolutely well to contain air. I've had them last tens of thousands of miles. Don't for a minute think they don't hold air. I would do that in a second before pouring goop into my wheel.
I hope you're right.

It's this plethora of information on the net that gets confusing. I read somewhere that the internal patch was necessary to restore integrity of the leakproof layer of a tire's construction.
Old 07-05-2007 | 09:11 PM
nyca
Drifting

I emailed patchboy.com, they claim that their mushroom kit can be used with the tire on the rim.
Old 07-05-2007 | 10:36 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

In the past, I have had tires patched and they've held up fine for the remaining life of the tire. This was with a complete tire dismount, interior patch, remount and balance. The tire was good as new until I wore it out.

Believe me, I was very reluctant to use the sealant. But being 200+ miles from home with two leaking back tires, I didn't have much choice. The tire in the pictures above was losing 5-10 psi an hour. I don't have a picture (wasn't putting my camera into that!) but there was a box staple that penetrated the tire shoulder and left a big gash inside the tire. The puncture was very obvious from inside the tire and no way it could have been patched.

All things considered, I'm impressed with the performance of the sealant. I bought a replacement bottle and an extra to have on long trips. It's messy, but it does clean off the wheel with a sponge and water. The old cans of fix-a-flat are much worse in this regard -- I hear they're a nightmare to get off your wheel when you're done.
Old 07-06-2007 | 12:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Okay,--ready for a tire horror story?

On one of my past Porsches I took a very large steel wire in through the tread and it actually came out through the sidewall! It was about the thickness of two and a half standard wire clothes hangers. (It would not bend). I slipped on the spare and because the Pirelli was so nearly new I hated to lose it, so I had it dismounted, patched, and an inner tube installed. That tire lasted as long as the others on the car with never an issue. I drove it like it was a perfect tire. Not an issue.

The only time I have seen issues with tires and 911s is when someone is REALLY cheap. We had a guy running RETREADS on his 5 year old 911 (this was in the early 80s) and sure enough, if failed and it completely trashed his left rear fender extension and fender a bit. It completely disintegrated. He was doing perhaps 70 at the time. Not that is stupid!
Old 07-06-2007 | 01:31 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I can also say that the rubber impregnated strings work very well. I vave used them more than six times over the last 10 years on H rated tires. These cars were driven on the highway often at 65, 75 and more mph. I would never do this in Europe if I were to drive at 125mph wich is getting close to the maximum speed rating!

The worst air leak situation I had ever experienced after the repair was to add a little bit of air ( increase of 2 psi every one or two months) throughout the rest of the tire's wear life. Again, this was with an H rate tire being used at 65 mph every day.
If you are tracking the car you might want to consider replacement of the tire.
Old 07-06-2007 | 02:39 PM
RJA in VA
Track Day

Queston for cviles or anyone else who may know... How does the sealant effect the TPMS sensor inside the wheel? Can the goo just be cleaned off the sensor or is it necessary to have it replaced?
Old 07-06-2007 | 02:51 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I have had 3 nails, and all resulted in new tires. Luckily I bought a tire warranty so my replacement cost has been $0, and I have 3 new tires to show for it.

Quick Reply: Fixing a Flat