Sponsored by:

Random thoughts on Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random thoughts on Porsches

This is a long one without much of a point, so don't flame me.

My 997S Cab is a great car, and I've enjoyed each moment I had a chance to drive it. Before I purchased the 997, I purchased a '91 964 Carrera 4, which I keep at my vacation home. It's loud, feels unsophisticated, has a crappy radio, has minor leaks in the targa top when we have heavy rain, and the ac is terrible. But whenever I get down to Naples and start it up, it brings me back to high school, when things were not necessarily pristine, but you appreciated life for the basic things, like a car starting up when you turned the key, and being able to hear one of many songs you called your favorite.

Back in high school, I had a Cutless Supreme, which I loved, and the joy I got when it actually started when I turned the key. . .

In any case, the last time I was in Naples, the 964 started having difficulty starting whenever the engine got hot. I have a tendency to get irrational whenever things go wrong, so I had made up my mind that I would replace the 964 with something else, a BMW M3, a 997, a 993, a '59 Corvette. I was driving my wife crazy, who has an amazing ability to tolerate these thoughts.

Well, between April and now, I figured I'd do some research to see if I can figure out what was causing my 964 not to start when hot. I referred to Adrian Streather's book on 964s, and it suggested the cure may be to replace the DME chip. I ordered the chip from Performance products, and when I got down to Naples this weekend, I replaced the chip, with full intention on driving it to Naples Porsche to trade it in for a 997.

After I replaced the chip, I drove the car around for an hour to let the engine warm up. It drove amazingly, with the growl of an air/oil cooled engine, the smell of the oil, the hot, humid air blowing into the targa cockpit, and then I remembered why I bought it. It does not have the sophistication of the 997 or the performance, comfort, or any other qualities that the 997 has. But it has a lot of things that bring me back to the days when the simplest things can bring you satisfaction in life, like the engine starting when you want it to.

Someone earlier posted a thread asking whether anyone purchased a 997 over a turbo. I thankfully was blessed with a job that pays enough where the cost difference between the two is irrelevant. I bought the 997S because I always wanted a 911 -- I liked the way it looked, the way it drove. I didn't buy it because it was the "best" or the fastest. The thought of a turbo never entered my mind, because it was never about speed or power.

This little experience with my 964 fortified my thinking -- all 911s are unique in their own way (so long as they run well), and we should all be grateful for having the opportunity to own one.

Cheers!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks for sharing those thoughts; they carry much in the way of good memories that are stimulated by the sounds, smells and feel of a great car. I envy your ability to relive those moments with a car. I would love to get an old 68 Camaro, a car that saw plenty of action in my younger years.

Keep it. It's more than a car to you.

Also, I agree with you on the turbo. There's no disputing the power or superior acceleration of those blowers, but there's more to a Porsche than just power; the curves, smell, sound and giddy moment as it fires up. It's a Porsche.

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
This is a long one without much of a point, so don't flame me.

My 997S Cab is a great car, and I've enjoyed each moment I had a chance to drive it. Before I purchased the 997, I purchased a '91 964 Carrera 4, which I keep at my vacation home. It's loud, feels unsophisticated, has a crappy radio, has minor leaks in the targa top when we have heavy rain, and the ac is terrible. But whenever I get down to Naples and start it up, it brings me back to high school, when things were not necessarily pristine, but you appreciated life for the basic things, like a car starting up when you turned the key, and being able to hear one of many songs you called your favorite.

Back in high school, I had a Cutless Supreme, which I loved, and the joy I got when it actually started when I turned the key. . .

In any case, the last time I was in Naples, the 964 started having difficulty starting whenever the engine got hot. I have a tendency to get irrational whenever things go wrong, so I had made up my mind that I would replace the 964 with something else, a BMW M3, a 997, a 993, a '59 Corvette. I was driving my wife crazy, who has an amazing ability to tolerate these thoughts.

Well, between April and now, I figured I'd do some research to see if I can figure out what was causing my 964 not to start when hot. I referred to Adrian Streather's book on 964s, and it suggested the cure may be to replace the DME chip. I ordered the chip from Performance products, and when I got down to Naples this weekend, I replaced the chip, with full intention on driving it to Naples Porsche to trade it in for a 997.

After I replaced the chip, I drove the car around for an hour to let the engine warm up. It drove amazingly, with the growl of an air/oil cooled engine, the smell of the oil, the hot, humid air blowing into the targa cockpit, and then I remembered why I bought it. It does not have the sophistication of the 997 or the performance, comfort, or any other qualities that the 997 has. But it has a lot of things that bring me back to the days when the simplest things can bring you satisfaction in life, like the engine starting when you want it to.

Someone earlier posted a thread asking whether anyone purchased a 997 over a turbo. I thankfully was blessed with a job that pays enough where the cost difference between the two is irrelevant. I bought the 997S because I always wanted a 911 -- I liked the way it looked, the way it drove. I didn't buy it because it was the "best" or the fastest. The thought of a turbo never entered my mind, because it was never about speed or power.

This little experience with my 964 fortified my thinking -- all 911s are unique in their own way (so long as they run well), and we should all be grateful for having the opportunity to own one.

Cheers!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spot on! I love to alternate between my 996 and 964 as they both have such individual personalities... My friends and I always joked that we work so that we can afford our hobbies. That has started to ring true over the past few years... Enjoy both your 997 and 964. For me, I am now obsessed with finding a 1989 911 Targa and eventually a 1992 US Cup Car. The list of things to do in this life just keeps getting longer...

Enjoy!
-B
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't Have a 911 yet currently looking for one. But My 1990 944S2 is an amazing car, sur the A/C doesn't work, it has the typical Power streering leak, and sunroof/Hatch rattle but I love teh car. I drive it daily and when I have a bad day at work I get into the car and everything goes away. I love these cars. if only I had a 911 SC to have as well, then life would be perfect.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:08 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great perspective, thanks for sharing and reminding us of our primary needs (a good Porsche!)....
Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
all 911s are unique in their own way (so long as they run well), and we should all be grateful for having the opportunity to own one.

Cheers!
Well said!!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My 2006 Cab 997 S has been a wonderful car so far. I have autoX'd it and done 3 Sebring track days with another 3 on the way in the next 4 -5 weeks. I have the Tiptronic transmission and even though it is what it is and my car is a Cab and looks nothing like a track car...every instructor has been shocked at how well it goes around the track. It handles very well and has good power.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Nice post from a true car guy ...thanks, we need more posts like yours...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 PM
erv
Advanced

+1
Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

+2. They all are good in their own ways.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Occasionally I drive my g/f's 1990 Carrera 2 (964) and she bought it with the special DME chip and a lightened flywheel. It is one hot coupe. Recently we were returning from a trip with both of us in our two cars,--me in my 997S. I accelerated from a redlight in the Central Valley of California out in the middle of no-where, with her behind me. I went through 2 gears and settled in 3rd. She stayed with me all the way. The 964 with that chip is a seriously good vehicle.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You guys got any pictures of your 964's?

thanks! Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
You guys got any pictures of your 964's?

thanks! Mike
Here's mine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Not to revive an old thread, but based on the feedback from Rennlisters on this post, I sent a slightly modified version to Total 911. I received the September 2007 issue yesterday, and found that my letter was selected as letter of the month. In any case, if anyone is interested, take a look.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Congrats on the letter being selected

I don't have a 964 or a place in Florida, but I could smell the oil air mixture when I read it. Funny how the senses work with our memories.

Quick Reply: Random thoughts on Porsches