Sponsored by:

Denied warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I agree that scoping the car can lead to refusinging a claim. i.e. and over-rev on a downshift. But this can happen on the street as well as the track.

My comment was that if they are refusing repair because the car was "on a track" and not because of some facts supporting that the car was abused (i.e. over-rev as an example) and they can not prove the car was on the track it seems to me they have no case.

Then again if they read this forum they might have a case
I realize we're on an internet forum, but unless you actually DIDN'T track the car, I think you're SOL. Are you seriously saying you only drive your car on the street, and yet installed a rollbar, GT3 seats and harnesses? No one is going to buy that, IMHO.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm referring to LiveNupe's issue with the denied repair. I'm sharing my $.02 in regard to that issue and you're getting your monies worth

Matt
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
>>As for your argument that harnesses mean nothing, good luck with that one. Not only are harnesses illegal for use on the street,<<

Why is this? I had no idea...

Thanks

Matt
In part, cars are certified based on the OEM equipment only, and that's 3 point belts. But also there always will be issues of adequate safety--a street car's rollover protection presumes some deflection of the roof, and the 3 point belts allow more room for your head, neck, and torso to slide down in a rollover so your head isn't pile driven down between your shoulders. Even with the tech equipment rollbar, there's risk that it will not hold up in a rollover (in fact, it's not certified for racing either).

BTW, the GT3 seats aren't lawful in the US for the street either, due to the risk of the back breaking in a rear end collision--a reason why race cars have seat back brace bars.

I am as big of an offender as anyone--in fact I have a pair of GT3 seats in my garage right now, waiting for a buyer since I've given up DE's. So I'm not preaching here. So I took some risks in exchange for the benefits of being belted in at the track.

If used solely on the street, IMHO the adaptive sports seats (now available in the 997's and what I have) are a better choice.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Anyone know of a warranty claim that was denied based on the car being driven on a track? Anyone know of a claim that was initially denied but later reversed? If so, how? Go to another dealer? Go up the ladder from the dealer to PCNA???
Yes I do, and with good reason.

See below, since you are posting in many places for what purpose? Posting on the web in mutliple places wil not help you (imo) but could hurt you by bringing too much attention to an issue and backing someone into a corner. Especially since they have "right" on their side

Originally Posted by ltc
By inference.
If there are MULTIPLE type 1 overrevs (basically driving it into the rev limiter), then it can be interepted as:
a. track use
b. abuse/aggressive driving (no reason to put the car into the rev limiter every time....not to mention it implies that with stock gearing, you are likely at or over posted speed limits
A Type 2 is pretty much a slam dunk. You overstressed the motor mechanically, no idea how much damage was done.

In the end, it usually comes down to the individual dealer and whether or not they believe THEY will be reimbursed by PCNA for the warranty repair.
(Most) all warranty replaced itmes MUST be returned to PCNA/PAG for analysis.
If the part was NOT defective, or if it was 'abused'..see above', then PCNA may NOT reimburse the dealer for warranty parts and/or labor...leaving the dealer holding the bill.

Also, if the PCNA technical manager HAPPENS to be walking thru the service bays, looks up and sees a 'modified' or 'track prepared' car, he may ask the dealer if the service is being done under warranty (which may be denied) or out of the owner's pocket.
Seems reasonable.

What is not reasonable is to beat the hell out of your car on the track and expect Porsche to warranty it (like some do).

The OP has plastered this topic in many forums and I am sick of reading about it. What is his point, it helps no one, not even his own case. A quiet appeal will do a lot more than trying to create pressure for something that is outside of Porsche's responsibility.

If he abused the car he should pay for it.

I am going to copy this response everywhere I see his post.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Colm,
As one of the other Rennlist members stated,
"It sounds like he is just trying to see what other people's warranty experiences have been, so he has a better idea of what may or may not be covered in his own case."

He hit the nail right on the head, I posted my original message on several boards to reach as wide of an audience as possible based on the assumption that many people only visit one or two boards. For instance, as a 996 guy, I rarely go to the 997, Boxster, or Cayman boards. Conversely, I wouldn't think many of those guys visit the boards that I frequent. However, I wanted their opinions and perspectives so I decided to post my original message on several boards to get a good feeling for what others have experienced. I didn't intend to aggravate you or anyone else.

I'm not sure that I owe you an apology but I'll offer one anyway if it unruffles your feathers.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colm,
As one of the other Rennlist members stated,
"It sounds like he is just trying to see what other people's warranty experiences have been, so he has a better idea of what may or may not be covered in his own case."

He hit the nail right on the head, I posted my original message on several boards to reach as wide of an audience as possible based on the assumption that many people only visit one or two boards. For instance, as a 996 guy, I rarely go to the 997, Boxster, or Cayman boards. Conversely, I wouldn't think many of those guys visit the boards that I frequent. However, I wanted their opinions and perspectives so I decided to post my original message on several boards to get a good feeling for what others have experienced. I didn't intend to aggravate you or anyone else.

I'm not sure that I owe you an apology but I'll offer one anyway if it unruffles your feathers.
I don't need any apology, but it was nice of you to offer. I think you were working against your own interests with so many posts.

Were I in your shoes, I'd delete all my posts and do a stealth campaign...but you don't need to apologize for not following my advice. (ask an Admin to do it if you come to that decision)

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
mostolf
Intermediate

Default Avatar?

3. The car has NEVER been raced.
I'm assuming that's you and your car (on the track) in your avatar....?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, that's my car. But again, the car has never been raced.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:23 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2. The 2nd gear synchro makes a crunching noise when the car is cold
Wait, this isn't normal?!?! I thought all 996/997s did this when cold!

Quick Reply: Denied warranty claim