Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone choose 997S over 997TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007 | 10:36 PM
benfmd
Intermediate

Default Anyone choose 997S over 997TT?

Just wondering if anyone here prefers the 997S over the 997TT, REGARDLESS OF PRICE! In other words has anyone here who could afford to buy a 997TT specifically chosen to buy a 997S because you perefer the more traditional handling of the rear wheel drive/rear engine "classic" Porsche.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007 | 10:45 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I can afford it, but am punting for the S. Here's why: it is a high dollar car (I already feel itchy adding the CS4 Cab to a brand new LS460L-my daily driver), and it is an animal and I am concerned I may kill myself in it. Got two kiddos that need their pops. It is scarey fast. Warning: if you drive it, the S may not satisfy you! Oh, I sold my C2S cab a few months ago in pursuit of a 360 and changed my mind. I want my P back. I'm trying the 4 this time for grins.
Old 06-27-2007 | 12:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

To me the Turbo is a classic Porsche. Lots of racing history with the Turbo and it has been in the line a very long time. I own a C2S Cabriolet but if money were no object I'd get the Turbo.
Old 06-27-2007 | 12:22 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Never driven a 997TT, but I will take my 997 club coupe over any 997TT in any color, even just for the look factor. Realistically, I don't think I need, or can handle the 997TT power. So instead of putting the money in a 997TT, I opted to upgrade to a Cayenne turbo instead.
Old 06-27-2007 | 02:08 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I'd take the 997TT EVERYTIME no doubt - with the much improved throttle response v. the 996 TT and the fewer of them out there than the relatilvey ubiquitous Carrera S... no doubt about it.

Widebody, GT1-based engine, much bigger rep with the crowd - done
Old 06-27-2007 | 03:11 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Straightline performance is great with the TT but I think the S will do you well all around. Personally I like the cleaner lines of the S, and maybe I'm one of the few that actually prefer the slimmer waist of the S compared to the 4's, Targa's and TT's.

And with no 4wd you get more storage space up front woo-hoo!

Something I like about the TT's? Has a true dry-sump.
Old 06-27-2007 | 03:45 AM
Tone
Racer

I drove the TT & the S.

The TT was too fast, stopped too quickly, looked too cool, and just a little too exclusive for me.
The S is a better all-around smarter choice car for the dogs, cats, birds, & kids.

ok...seriously.....if money was no object - TT any day.
I could've justified spending the extra 50K (and technically "afford" it), but didn't feel it was something I had to have.
Very happy with the S
Old 06-27-2007 | 05:52 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Thought about both but ultimately got the c2s.... yesterday. Cost not an issue, and someday I might get the TT. I figured that I would get the slower one first. Then if I feel a need I will get the faster one later.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:59 AM
TxNative
Track Day

I just ordered a C4S w/x51 for August delivery. This will be my first PCar. I like the smooth lines of the S vs the TT. I know that a lot of people will disagree, but I do not like the wing on the back. If I could have ordered with wing delete, I probably would have sprung for the TT.
Old 06-27-2007 | 09:29 AM
YossariandrivesA911
AutoX

Originally Posted by TxNative
I just ordered a C4S w/x51 for August delivery. This will be my first PCar. I like the smooth lines of the S vs the TT. I know that a lot of people will disagree, but I do not like the wing on the back. If I could have ordered with wing delete, I probably would have sprung for the TT.
i agree i like the classic curves & flow of the C2S, i don't doubt for a second that the TT is an awesome car, but i know i would lose my licence in it & i would always question what this amount of power was for on public roads.

If i had my choice again i would take the C4S, not because i want 4WD, more that i lust after the larger *** of the 4. I wish they did a C2S Widebody, now that would be the best option for me, with X/51
Old 06-27-2007 | 10:03 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TxNative
You've ordered a great combo! Initially, I too, did not like the look of the spoilers especially the aero kit for the 997...but the spoiler on the TT is very unobtrusive compared to others (aero, GT3, etc.). I sold my C4S and now have the TT and couldn't be more pleased with both performance and look.
Old 06-27-2007 | 10:29 AM
TxNative
Track Day

After I own one for a while, I may change my opion on the wing. I would have liked the added performance of the TT, but decided to try the C4S for a first PCar. I have owned vettes in the past and considered a Z06. However, you see so many late model vettes around here and I wanted something different. I currently own a 66 vette with 502hp so if I want straight line acceleration, all I have to do is change cars.
I was initially disappointed when ordering the C4S that the sport shifter was not available as a factory option anymore. At least that is what my dealer told me. However, if I install it myself I will have saved several hundred $.
Old 06-27-2007 | 10:42 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I at this point cannot realisticially afford the extra 40k, but if I could I likely would go with the GT3 over the TT. Something about the natural aspiration and rear wheel drive I just prefer.
Old 06-27-2007 | 10:58 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

I'd love to have the tt power in the 997 body.... what a killer car that would be....

Matt
Old 06-27-2007 | 10:59 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a hard decesion for me only because if I wanted to keep the car "long term" then I would be worried about future Turbo repair bills.

The C2S with X-51 is more than enough car for me - and being that there are only "49" of my car out there (one in the museum) it will always be special thus making it eaiser to keep for a long, long time vice seeing new models/updates every few years...

That's my story and I am sticking too it!

Quick Reply: Anyone choose 997S over 997TT?