Sponsored by:

Anyone choose 997S over 997TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

S.

The TT rush is intoxicating but it feels heavy because it is. More weight, less precise handling, chews brakes on the track. Give me my S every single day w/o thinking about it.

The S is more than capable enough for the street to get into serious trouble.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my current 997S. Adore her. What a wonderful car. From a rational point of view, was it worth paying almost four times more for her than for my previous car (a 350Z)? Absolutely not; but it was never meant to be a rational decision to begin with.

A couple of days ago I put down my deposit and ordered a TT. Again, from a rational point of view, will she be worth the additional outlay and the hit in depreciation that I'm taking on my 997S? Absolutely not; but - here, too - it was never meant to be a rational decision.

So, yes, I did choose the 997TT over the 997S, but I would have a hard time to precisely explain why, because I really don't need either one. It's an affective thing. Love maybe?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I'd take the 997TT EVERYTIME no doubt - with the much improved throttle response v. the 996 TT and the fewer of them out there than the relatilvey ubiquitous Carrera S... no doubt about it.

Widebody, GT1-based engine, much bigger rep with the crowd - done

I'm not so sure about the comment that there are more of the 99s than the 997TTs. I'm sure seeing a lot of 997TTs out there. There are no production limits on these cars. If you want one, Porsche will build it for you.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Fair 'nuf! A Porsche is never a rational decision, but a passion for performance and an attraction to the racing heritage that is built into each and every car. Your just a little more irrational than the rest of the S crowd.

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I love my current 997S. Adore her. What a wonderful car. From a rational point of view, was it worth paying almost four times more for her than for my previous car (a 350Z)? Absolutely not; but it was never meant to be a rational decision to begin with.

A couple of days ago I put down my deposit and ordered a TT. Again, from a rational point of view, will she be worth the additional outlay and the hit in depreciation that I'm taking on my 997S? Absolutely not; but - here, too - it was never meant to be a rational decision.

So, yes, I did choose the 997TT over the 997S, but I would have a hard time to precisely explain why, because I really don't need either one. It's an affective thing. Love maybe?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Price independent - C2s, which is what I ended up buying over GT3 and TT. I wanted rear wheel drive, light as possible, naturally aspirated engine, and a back seat (kids). The C2s has been fantastic on the track with minor mods (control arms for camber, headers, cats, and mufflers, R-comps on 18" wheels).

My rationale as well. I didn't want all wheel drive or the extra 400lbs. I didn't particulary like the looks of the turbo either. If I could have ordered a GT3 without that big rear wing, and with the LATCH system (for the rear child seat) I would have done that. But the dealer said that was impossible. So, I ordered the highest performance 997S I could buy with X51 and PCCB's. Threw some ultra lightweight 18" wheels and lowering springs on the car and I'm very happy.

The decision to pass on a Turbo had nothing to do with finances. I'd still prefer a GT3 to a Turbo given the choice.

Now, if I can just dial out most of the understeer and eliminate the surprisingly strong and everpresent bump steer, the car would be nearly perfect!

MC

Quick Reply: Anyone choose 997S over 997TT?