Sponsored by:

Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My TPMS works perfectly. It's very close to my Porsche-supplied TP gauge. I run 31 front and 36 rear cold which is precisely what the factory put in them. They warm up to about 34 and 41 or so. Tire wear is even across the tread,--and I've subjected to everything from modest cruising to 180 mph on the autobahn. Talk to your service rep about not extinguishing the light.
Does the cab run lower pressures than the coupes? I think the partial load (minimum pressure) recommendation for the coupe is 33 (maybe 34) front and 39 rear. Those are of course cold pressures, before the tire has heated up from driving it. Did you do a Euro delivery of your car? If not, just wondering how you knew what pressures the factory put in your tires?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I have only had my C2S for three weeks, so I am still learning the car, but I do not think you can set the desired pressures on the TPMS for the 997 or 997S, other than selecting either partial load of full load conditions. There is a "learning" function on the 997 TPMS where the system "learns" the wheels and tires after wheels and or tires are changed. After you go into the "Set" menu to tell the computer the type (summer or winter) and size of tires, it goes through a brief learning period. During that short period of time (only when car is moving) you get a message that the TPMS is inactive and in learning mode. Usually in a couple miles, the TPMS returns to "normal" mode and gives readout of tire pressures. But again, i think the only desired pressures you can set are the programmed partial load or full load pressures. The TPMS then checks actual pressures vs those reference values.
I don't have TPMS (since it was option on MY 06's) but it's nuts if the system doesn't let you set the tire pressures to a desired PSI. My A6 has that function. But if you're buying 07's and newer you have no choice; Porsche really should allow users the ability to set the inflation parameters they want. In a sportscar, a pound or two difference in pressure can be desireable to dial in the handling the way you like it, and I'd hate a TPMS that is too inflexible to allow it.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I don't have TPMS (since it was option on MY 06's) but it's nuts if the system doesn't let you set the tire pressures to a desired PSI. My A6 has that function. But if you're buying 07's and newer you have no choice; Porsche really should allow users the ability to set the inflation parameters they want. In a sportscar, a pound or two difference in pressure can be desireable to dial in the handling the way you like it, and I'd hate a TPMS that is too inflexible to allow it.
Paul, I do not disagree, and it is possible that an individual's desired tire pressures can be programmed into the TPMS. I have not figured that out yet, if it is possible. However, you have got to see Porsche's liability concern with this, especially in the suit happy USA. If they allow someone to program in any desired pressure they want into the TPMS and let's assume someone wants that to be 20 lbs for some idiotic reason, and has a tire failure resulting in an accident, they probably fear that someone would try and sue them saying that their tire pressure monitoring system didn't let them know their tires were low. I know it sounds crazy, but stuff like that happens.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressures